Plevna Hotel
US$60
US$46
Hostelworld.com
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthree starside streetthe bushotel is situatedair conditioningstar hotelsmall fridgecleaned every dayquiet streetcleaned dailyfew minutes walkbeanscold meatshalf boardyogurtlidocharles
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was one of many mature students from Coventry university attending a convention (group booking) who felt disappointed when staying at our hotel. The lift continuously broke down with people stuck inside, the plug sockets in the rooms had twin plugs inserted into triple pin, double rooms had three and four single beds crammed together accommodating adults who were unfamiliar with each other, no room around the beds all sharing the one bathroom, wardrobe and chest of draws. Bathroom would flood every time you had a shower, and the shower head broke in my hand when I first used it. Balcony doors if you were lucky enough to have them were locked, air conditioning was hit and miss and there was only one door key per room which was awkward at times. Unless you were all inclusive you could only get a drink (I'm talking a cuppa, not alcohol) during restaurant times, if open! They wouldn't let me buy a drink, told me to go along the sea front for one! People tried to change rooms every day but were told to come back the next day when they 'may' have a spare room, one became available on the very last night. Swimming pool is across the road. Furniture in the lounge on the reception floor is rickety/broken, cheap and nasty. Basically apart from the first floor it could do with a revamp. Will not be returning.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Deborah C
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I really would have liked to have given this hotel a better rating but there were problems that tainted our stay last week.
Its a convenient location, friendly and efficient staff and the rooms are comfy and cleaned and tidied every day to a very good standard, surprisingly we found the beds really comfportable.
The Lido area is good, very clean and tidy with a good selection of drinks and snacks.
Now the problems:
1...Is it a hotel or a school hostel? We were in between some Italian school kids who really should have been kpet in Italy! Noisy,doors slamming right left and centre, running up and down the corridors and pig ignorant! We couldnt believe our first evening when one of their female teachers or supervisors went ballistic, screaming and yelling for over almost an hour!
2...Breakfast is adequate but the cooked food is disappointing, we survived but it really ought to be a better standard, great coffee and fruit juice though!
3...Roof terrace...What a waste1 Could be a nice place to rellax with a drink but it needs some TLC, perhaps it just doesnt warrant it but it has potential if only?

You get what you pay for and to be fair the price was good and we would probably go back again if we were to visit Malta again but would check on school attendances first, the Italians moved on afetr a few days and the french moved in who to be fair were fine.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from the school groups not in between them, apparently they do take a lot of groups during the year.
1  Thank digipicsuk
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed in Plevna for one night. Fortunately we did not book more nights in this hotel. Large group of Italian school children running and shouting around. This was very disturbing and the hotel staff did nothing to keep them quiet. After checking into our room we immediately requested for another room because of the noise, however we were told that that was not possible. As a result we did not sleep at all: pupils screaming and running up and down the stairs right in front of our room. I called the reception and was truly shocked when the guy told me there was nothing he could do and that we had to wait for them to be checked out. Unbelievable. This hotel is not even worth a one-star rating.

1  Thank NATLHW
Reviewed 20 May 2014

stayed at the Plevna over Easter this year. Lets look at the good points first; good location for us, as we love Sliema and surrounding area. we had a room on the third floor, it was small but keep clean and was adequate. The staff were lovely and couldn't be faulted. There was always plenty of choice for breakfast, being out of season the pool area across the road was closed but that wasn't a problem. It has a nice sunbathing area on the roof with good views and was generally quiet on our visit.
Now the negatives, we arrived late, only 15 mins to the restaurant closing. The person in charge made us very welcome and we placed our order. Unfortunately what was served leaved a lot to be desired, and believe me we are not fussy eaters. I was prepared to put it down to being at the end of the evening, although possibly sandwiches would have been better. We mentioned it to the holiday rep the following morning, and she asked us if we would like to change our board basis, and we decided yes. This transformed our holiday as one of the restaurants she suggested we tried, was superb. I'm reluctant to mention it as we want to go there again, again!!!
Another problem we encountered which others have mentioned is the students. Don't get me wrong, at their age away from home, I would most likely have been the same, but I feel older people on holiday don't want the noise in the early hours like we had on two nights. This seems to be a growing trend with hotels in Malta. I understand the need for hotels to use whatever means to fill rooms, but i cant help thinking that this will put older people off visiting them, I will be tempted to contact hotels in the future to see if any large groups of students are booked in for certain dates, so I can avoid them.
The first 2 mornings of our visit, breakfast was served in a small room off the main restaurant, but this became over crowded quickly. The third morning they opened the main restaurant which was much better with more room. When we commented that it was much better, it was stated they had tried to separate the older guests from the students initially.
Would I go back to the Plevna ? if I could be guaranteed there wouldn't be any students the answer would be a yes, as the location is good and it is mostly quiet we found, apart from the noisey students in the early hours, I think the teachers who accompany them probably give up on the last night and let them do as they want.

Room Tip: away from student accommodation
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Maryse A, Director of Sales at Plevna Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you liked the location of our hotel as well as your room and our breakfast and friendly staff. On the other hand we are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our dinner on your arrival. We have taken steps to improve our meals and in fact we now have a new chef and we shall be ensuring that younger guests do not cause a disruption for older guests.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

this was a return visit from 4 years ago;Nice hotel; great staff; good situation. BUT taken over by about 100 unruly noisy students, this seems to be a weekly event who occupy the lounges in the evening;and emit a lot of noise when in the hotel.The supervision is almost non existant. They dine at separate times to other guests which is good. We had a nice room, but it is ready for refurnishment on the 5th floor Food not as good as our first visit, when it was buffet in the evening, now the starter; soup and sweets are collected from another room, and main course and pasta are ordered and served in the dining room.This has not been thought through as there is more meat/fish etc than required and unfortunately only small portions of veg whereas buffet gives one chance to only have what one requires, and no waste.;. Breakfast is buffet and served in another dining room
I would like to say Thank you to Sandra and all her staff in reception, and to the girls who serviced our room.Nothing was too much trouble. The waiting staff are also very good, and every one very polite.
Whilst I fully appreciate the students give business all the year round,I felt it was at the expense of the tourists, who have nowhere other than bedroom to sit in in the evening, as it really is a take over bid by the students.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room on the 5th floor with balcony.