“Are you looking for a Great hotel with warm friendly staff,clean and fab value?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plevna Hotel

Plevna Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

Although Id stayed at another more prestigious hotel in Sliema some 5 years earlier, I must say the Plevna knocked spots off the other (Waterfront )for friendliness and a home from home stay. And, the guests actually talked to each other here!!!!
I read the reviews AFTER I booked an all inclusive with no single supplement on rooms (3) I did wonder why some visitor said Charles made the hotel- it concerned me as I thought oh dear if its one person that makes this Ive made a wrong choice , especially as I was catering for my mum and mum-in-law for the stay. I couldnt have been more wrong as when we came into the hotel we were met with a cheerful face from the receptionist who couldnt do enough for us,explained the layout of the hotel and that we had just arrived in time for dinner. Great for us as wed spent most of the day in cars or the airport/flying.
My mum is difficult to cater for at 75 with her very plain eating. Not a problem, Chef sorted something out that very night not that he needed to as there was certainly plenty to choose from at the buffet! I cant imagine anyone going hungry ,I as a vegetarian certainly didnt, there was plenty for me to have at any meal time.
Ok so the decor was a bit tired, but so is the decor in my own home we cant all redo them every year to keep in with the latest trend. It was however clean,tidy, with all rooms being cleaned daily and great value for money, especially if you go all inclusive!
The Hotel is situated on a side street with a bit of a hill, not great for older less able folk but close to the main road and only minutes away from the town centre and the bus stops etc. It also has WiFi or if you havent brought your own you can purchase at very little cost, time on the 2 computers, great for sending the family a "We arrived safely" message.
My room was clean,tidy no frills but always with lots of HOT water at whatever time you needed it. A kettle,tea,coffee, a FRIDGE!! I was certainly pleased to see that. Air conditioning that worked and plenty of wardrobe/cupboard space. A safe was available for a small charge. Stamps available form the reception desk and loads of left books to chose from should you need one!!!
The staff were just lovely from the youngsters at breakfast whom all said good morning to you to Marianna who was in charge at breakfast, to the youngsters tending the bar and of course Joe ( the main barman)who when you get a smile are dazzled as its radiant! Now, as I said to Charles, before we left, what would I write about him.....the reviewer before me was spot on, he did make the stay... he was interested in what you had done that day,had we enough to eat,more wine/drink with your meal is there anything else I can do for you, could you tell him what you thought of the hotel to make our stay better? He was such a warm,generous,lovely man, it was like having a friend to look forward to seeing each mealtime. On the last morning it was my birthday and I even had him singing Happy Birthday to me at the juice machine!
A great value,clean,unpretentious,friendly hotel that I would recommend to even my posher friends as a welcoming home from home hotel.
Charles and staff keep up the good work we hope to visit again in the future!!

Mrs Mel Ashley,Mrs V Hall,Mrs T Ashley visiting 3rd-10th March 2009

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Tessi24052003

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

We stayed at this hotel in January 2008 and found the hotel OK. We got a great deal paying e72 for 3 nights B&B so we didn't expect too much but were pleasantly surprised. The reception area is spacious, clean and bright. Our room was slightly disappointing with the bathroom being a but shoddy and didn't feel too clean. the shower head was broken at first but we reported it to reception and it was fixed the following day, just had to use the bath the first day which was a slight inconvenience but no big deal! The breakfast was quite good with a large selection of cold and cooked options. The buffet was a bit of a nightmare though as it was always very busy and crowded so maybe a better system could be put in place.
There is a bar downstairs that had some entertainment but we didn't stay long as it we are a young couple and it seemed more suited to an older age group.
The location is very good, only a couple of minutes walk to the buses, sliema promenade and a good selection of restaurants.
Overall the hotel was fine but I felt it would be better suited to the older age groups and we would not stay here again.
As for Malta, we loved it and would recommend it to anybody as it has so much to offer all tastes. As a result we have decided to have our wedding in Malta later this year but will be advising all our guets to stay in Saint Julian as, for me, it is a better location for restaurants and lots of bars and entertainment. Taxis in Malta are very overpriced and buses stop at around 11pm so it is worth bearing this in mind when choosing a location if it is nightlife that you're after!

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank podaz
Swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

First thing to say about the Plevna is that it has three Stars. Consequently anyone wanting the Hilton will be disappointed.

The Hotel is in a side street near the centre of Sliema roughly 10 mins walk from the Strand. This means that it is convenient for shops/Bars as well as Bus links and for Boat Trips.

The Hotel is in generally good condition throughout.

That said, it would be nice is the bar was larger. Equally the food in the Restaurant was fairly average.

Equally, the staff were always friendly and helpful. This included arranging excursions if requested. On arrival at about Noon, my room was not yet ready. Consequently, I was directed to the Restaurant for a free lunch.

This is a fairly standard Hotel offering Good Value.

Next time I visit Malta, I will probably return to the Plevna.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff, good accommodation
  • Disliked — Rather limited bar
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

My husband and I have just spent a great holiday in Sliema, Malta (17th January - 24th January) staying at the Plevna Hotel, Sliema.
We could not fault the Hotel, our room was spotless, sheets and towels changed every day.
Food in the Dining Room was plentiful and the chef would cook any extras as required.
The location was fine, only a 5 minute walk from the bus stop, buses v ery frequent to Valletta.
We had a slight problem with our toilet, nothing serious and it was put right the next morning.
All staff were helpful and polite at all times, and Charles the Restaurant Manager seemed to be on roller skates.
We enjoyed the whole experience and met some lovely people and we will definately be visiting the Plevna again.

London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Plevna Hotel in Sliema Malta for 4 nights on an all-inclusive basis, at a price far less than the cheapest B&B would have cost in the UK.

Top marks go to Charles - the restaurant manager. He is so genuinely kind, warm and welcoming - not just on your first day, but EACH TIME you come and eat. He deserves to manage the whole hotel and hopefully will do so if the hotel really wants to benefit.

The food was generally very good with a fair choice and variety of options. Drinks were included. You could eat and drink as much or as little as you like. The only 'fault-line' was at breakfast, as the bacon was a bit 'watery' and mediocre and the cereals somewhat uninspiring. This was more than compensated however with very tasty lunches and dinners. Although others comment about restaurant size and food, for the low prices available via the internet, the value is excellent. Moreover, Charles' magnificent attitude towards all his guests makes every meal most enjoyable.

As far as the hotel itself is concerned, we found it clean and acceptable. It could do with some refurbishment, but no doubt that would have an effect on prices charged.

Access is easy. There are frequent buses (some date back several decades and are a superb attraction in themselves) to/from Valetta. Fares are VERY cheap. It is also easy to travel by bus direct to Mdina or to the Gozo ferry - a day trip to the island of Gozo is indeed recommended. No need whatsover to hire a car.

• Liked — The most genuinely welcoming attitude of Charles - the restaurant manager
  • Disliked — Poor selection of English language TV channels in room
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndrewCFJ
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

Firstly, I gave the hotel 2/5 as it matches the grading description just about right - "Okay, but some problems "

GOOD :-

Great Location - convenient to promenade, shops, bars, restaurants, buses, boats, ferry, etc.

Charles - this guy in the restaurant makes the hotel. Always cheerfull, stops to chat when he can and ensures everything is to your liking. Top Class; he should be managing the hotel !!

Staff - with the exception of the bar staff (see "Bad" below) the majority are happy to help with any issues you may have.

AVERAGE :-

Food - for the most part, the food is decent but it is too often cold and over/under cooked. The menu needs more imagination too.

Hotel Condition - many parts of the hotel (inc rooms) have stains/mold(?) on the walls/ceiling. Tables in the bar are unstable and settees in reception are very shabby. The lifts are unreliable (3 people got stuck for an hr one day).

Water - this deserves a special mention as they have all their water delivered twice a day by water tanker. They actually ran out of water for two days during our stay.

Construction - there is still building work going on nearby and it does start early. It certainly wont be finishing anytime soon and can be annoying if trying to lie in after 6:30am.

BAD :-

Bar Staff - they just dont seem to care. No customer service skills between the lot of them.

Bar Drinks - they offer 1 type of draft lager despite having two different pumps (lowenbrau and 1565). The stuff tastes awful. They do offer Blue Label Ale but keep running out of the stuff. I would say they were out of stock for at least half the holiday. In fact, they kept running out of so many drinks it was difficult to find something to have (unless you are OK with coffee, coca-cola, budget label whisky/vodka etc).

Noise - this place is NOISY !!. All the doors are wooden and have key locks (not modern key cards). You cannot imagine the noise this makes during the night. Add to that regular weekend parties at a neighbouring apartment and you may struggle to get a decent nights sleep.

Restaurant - the restaurant is a nightmare. The place is tiny and there is no room to get around the buffet area. Seating is very close and walkways can be impossible to get along. Be prepared to share a table with strangers as they have to cram people in anywhere they can.

General Upkeep - there just doesnt seem to be anyone keeping an eye on things in this hotel. They wait until a guest complains about something before sorting it out. The TV lounge has 30% of light bulbs blown but nobody came to replace any. A guest actually took a reading lamp bulb for reception to swop but even that took 4 days to get replaced.

So, the hotel gets an "OK, but some problems" from me.

• Liked — proximity to local buses
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JanuaryTwentyFour

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

CHESTERFIELD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

After reading the reviews we had our doubts about this hotel,but with us wanting to stay in Sliema and go all inclusive we found our choice limited.However after long deliberation we booked.Well, all we wanted was a base from where we could explore Malta.
On arrival my daughter found she had left her jumper in the taxi.The receptionist was only to happy to phone the Taxi firm for us and within an hour daughter and jumper were reunited.This set the standard for our holiday.Nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff.There friendliness gave the hotel a relaxed atmosphere to return to.
We must have been either lucky or not as fussy, because we found our rooms quite pleasant.Okay the bedding and towels were not new and crisp, but they were clean.A maid came every day to clean, make beds and change towels.The air con worked, and showers hot.
Being on a side street the views were not good,but we were not in our rooms long enough for it to bother us.Building work was still going on ,but to tell the truth we did not really notice it.We ventured up to the sun roof to sun bathe a few times.Although bare, it was private.The beach bar / lido was not open this time of year.
The food was good with a different menu each day. Once again the staff were brilliant.The bar opened before dinner untill twelve.Here I will mention Charles and Henrik who made us feel so welcomed .Entertainment was a man with keyboard twice a week,but the Plevna has two TV areas and plenty of areas to relax in and play cards etc.For a more lively night St Julians and Paceville are a short bus ride away.
Yes it was a pleasant surprise and would definitley stay at the Plevna again

• Liked — Friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — Lack of entertainment at night
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family