We have just returned from a 5 day break to the Waterfront Hotel. Firstly we have never travelled to Malta before and my impression of Sliema overall is quite scruffy. Alot of building works are going on plus roads and pavements are unkempt, a few doors down from the hotel was a doorway (presumably an empty building) with rubbish strewn on the door step and was never cleared all the time during our stay.
The plus points for the hotel, nice bar/foyer area which were well maintained. Our first room was 405, a side sea-view which we had a paid a supplement for. Before arrival my wife had emailed the hotel requesting a high floor quiet room, so we were directly opposite the lift and given the 4th floor, half way up only. However in fairness the lift didn't prove to be a problem but the noise off the road was horrendous throughout the day with passing traffic and was relentless. It did quieten down marginally at night but you couldn't have the balcony window open as it would still of been too nosiy.
Our main problem with this room was the air-conditioning or lack of it as it was stifling. We reported this to the reception staff Jonathan & Sylvia the afternoon we arrived who informed us that the air-conditioning was not on during the day and could only be operated after 6pm, this later was changed to 4pm from the maintenance man who attempted to repair it. If you read the hotel key features in the rooms it states that the air-conditioning can be individually operated by guests to suit, at no time time does it mention you can only operate it from tea-time only! The first night was unbearable with the heat and so the following morning my wife went down to reception at 7.30am and spoke to another receptionist who was far more helpful and eventually organised for us to swap room to 615 the inner court yard. Immediately you could feel the air-conditioning working and miraculously this could be operated at any time of the day, the inner court yard was quiet and being on the 6th floor you could still see the harbour although I realise you wouldn't on all floors from the 4th downwards but these rooms are the standard hotel rooms (although the furnishings are exactly the same as the seaview ones etc)
Thankfully the rest of the holiday went well, breakfast was the usual cereals, continental cheeses salamis etc, hot buffet with a super view over the harbour from the restaurant. We didn't eat at the hotel for evening meals but tried several of the local restaurants in the town, some are better than others and it does depend on what you order as we visited a place twice, the first night was excellent and the second time was below par.
The hop on and ride buses combine a harbour cruise included in the price of the ticket as well which is well worth going on as alot of the history and sights in the harbour were explained. the buses were a good way to explore the island and we really enjoyed the north island tour, our second excursion was to Gozo which we personally found overated and very disappointing plus to get to the ferry harbour and the crossing took nearly 2 hours each way. Also a visit to Valletta is a must and was really enjoyable.
So overall we heard the saying'you either love or hate Malta', well we certainly enjoyed Valletta and the people on the island are extremely hospitable which is alot of it's charm. We didn't appreciate being lied to by Jonathan & Sylvia regarding the air-conditioning in the rooms which the housekeeper confirmed should be operable throughout the day. Would we return to Malta, well yes, maybe not to this hotel as we would prefer to stay in Valletta next time but there is nothing wrong with this hotel, however perhaps next time certain reception staff should think about what they tell guests and not deliberatly misinform them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront Hotel is a 4 star hotel situated in an excellent location along the Sliema promenade, overlooking Sliema Creek, Manoel Island and the capital city, Valletta. Newly refurbished to a high standards, the hotel is just 150 meters away from the nearest bus stop and within walking distance from several bars, restaurants and shopping outlets in Sliema, The Plaza shopping mall and the Ferries. All rooms are stylishly designed and feature various amenities including, an en suite bathroom and balcony, Cable TV, Mini Bar, Safe Deposit Box, Radio, Air Conditioning and Room Service. WiFi is available for free in all areas of the hotel. The Waterfront Hotel offers various dining options including buffet breakfast and dinner at the main restaurant, or light snacks at the Lobby Bar. The Waterfront Hotel also features an indoor swimming pool and outdoor lido. The Waterfront Hotel offers the best location, personalized service, and Maltese hospitality at its very best. The Waterfront Hotel provides a relaxed atmosphere to make your stay in Malta a memorable one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Waterfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waterfront Hotel Malta
- Waterfront Hotel Sliema Malta
- The Waterfront Hotel Malta/Sliema