“EXCELLENT APART FROM HIGH WI FI CHARGES & COLD BEDROOMS IN DECEMBER!”

The Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Our second visit here. Excellent location, staff and bedroom. New pillows & towels now! Looked like new carpet. Bathroom fine - needs tidy up but always hot water. Magnificent view from side room. Had best weeks sleep for months so noise was not a problem! Very convenient for Valletta etc. Breakfast fine and most dinners good. Free safe.

Only complaints - we were cold in the bedroom at times but it is December. And the high charges for wi fi. We went to pub along the road for drinks where free wi fi was offered

We used KEVINS Taxis who were brilliant - could not be better
Reliable and friendly Fair prices too

Would go to the Waterfront again if we return to Malta

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank meoncroft

Reviewed 9 December 2012

This was our second visit to Malta, last year we had a self catering apartment in another resort, but decided on a bit more luxury this year so opted for bed and breakfast at the Waterfront. It was a good choice, the location is excellent, the seaview rooms obviously have a superb view, but our room had a balcony which overlooked a courtyard garden at the back of the hotel. We were on the fourth floor and our room was very quiet, we heard no traffic at all and no noise from any other guests. The hotel was spotlessly clean throughout, and full marks to the housekeeping staff who kept our room pristine throughout our stay. The rooms are nicely furnished and spacious, the bathroom is a little dated, but everything worked well, and the hot water supply was excellent. Buffet breakfasts offered good choice with something for everybody, and plenty of it. Although we were only booked for bed and breakfast, we ate in the hotel nearly every night. The Basilica restaurant is excellent, everything cooked to order, but most nights we ate in the Regatta restaurant, help yourself buffet with good choice, and the desserts and ice creams were favourite with us. Location excellent, bus stops just outside the door to get around Malta easily all day travel where you like for 2.60 euros each, can't be bad! Views from the Regatta restaurant, and the Basilica restaurant fantastic. For an even better view take the lift up to the 8th floor where you have a panorama view from the rooftop pool area of Valetta and Sliema. Superb! Would use the Watefront again and would recomment to friends and family.

Room Tip: We had room 415 which although does not have a sea view and overlooks a courtyard garden,, is very q...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 125Angie
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We stayed here mid November and had a wonderful time. All staff were most helpful, efficient and the level of service provided by them all 1st class.
The choice of food in both restaurants was very good especially on the "vegetarian" choice. The bar was great in the evening as was the cafe for coffe in the afternoon
Our room was very comfortable with a fantastic view. Yes there were occassions when it was a little noisy with traffic noise but we'd done our research so no problem

Room Tip: Request a higher room as we did
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank happytraveller15A
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Just back from a week in Malta for some winter sun. Booked on line through Thompson and although it did say the resort of Sliema was quiet I didn't realise just how NOT quiet it would be.
We stayed at the Waterfront Hotel which overlooks Valletta accross the water and has some reall good reviews. The main road infront of the holet is busy, noisy with fast traffic almost 24 hrs a day and the local "boy racers" and others use it in the evening for posing at speed and ignoring all the pedesrtian crossing red lights, and actually beeping their horns at you for wanting to cross the road...how dare I want to do that.....
The hotel is rated 4 star but I think on reflection this is possibly generous. The reception area and staff are nice (check in was swift and painless), except for one younger member of the team who was really quite nasty to me when I expressed my opinion on the car hire quote he got for us as a bit expensive at 40 euro a day for 3 days and told me in no uncertain terms that I "would not get in cheaper anywhere else", (incidentally a visit to the Hertz rental office up the road and I DID get it cheaper, by 10 euro a day saving us almost £27 sterling!!!) anyway I digress..the room was spacious,clean and the beds comfortable even when the two singles were pushed together to make a double but the pillows were like rock. The housekeeping staff did a fantastic job keeping the room clean and always spoke if they saw us. We had a reasonable sea view from the balcony, but didn't sit out there due to the traffic noise and fumes so it was a good job the air con in the room worked well and wasn't too noisy.
My worst critisism of the hotel would have to be the dining room. Although the food was good if a little samey, it was disorganised at best with tables being only part cleared and relaid.All but 1 morning I had to clear a table to sit at then forage for milk,sugar crockery etc from other part used but not cleared tables around me. There were at least two staff on duty but neither seemed organised or methodical.I have worked in this industry and it is so much easier to take a tray to pile stuff on and clear several tables at once than to cart one or two plates at a time in your hands which is what they were doing, same when it came to relaying.. enough cutlery placed on the table then another trip for side plates,another for glasses and so it went on, the staff must have been knackered by the end of their shift and for me it was painful to watch and frustrating having to fetch my own tableware as well as the food, brings a whole new meaning to self service!!!! Also the staff in the dining room were surly and unhelpful with little customer service interest. One morning I waited next to a table that was being cleared to be tersly told " this is reserved", end of conversation, no apology or offer to clear another for me or get the other member of staff to, so I cleared my own AGAIN. I felt more put out when an obviously repeat visitor and someone known to the staff came in and they were tripping over themselves to sort them a table!! With the attitudes I wittnessed I am surprised they have any repeat cutsomers, I for one will never go back.
The whole island needs a shake up where customer service is concerned. Whilst visiting a number of tourist gift shops the young staff members couldn't be bothered to get off their mobile phones to even say thank you, we travelled by bus one day and the attitude of the bus drivers would get them sacked in the UK. We had a day rider type ticket and each time we got on a bus and showed the ticket the driver just glared, not even a grunt let alone a spoken word. Pepole in general are also rude, whilst quing for the bus a local woman came to look at the destination stand, then took the front of the que leaving two other tourists and ourselves aghast. I commented on how rude I thought it to be, and the others said "oh well it's their Island", so it may be, but they are fast enough to want the tourist money from our visit so perhaps they should think on.....
Driving on the island is ok right up till you get into a place unless you've been before and know your way. You see the sign to where you want to go on the main road,follow it come to another junction and ...NOTHING. Now you are at a T junction, cross roads or roundabout and not a clue which way to go with an impatient local blowing his horn behind you as your'e in the way and HE knows where he's going. We bought a road map, but that was little use as some major roads have been built that were not on the map and some roads on the map no longer exist. What signs there are are up high,partly obscured by plants, or only visible AFTER you turn at a junction,really not helpful!!
I was also surprised by how run down the island feels, the pavements are badly kept in places and some of the roads barely passable due to the uneaven surface. A lot of derilict buildings and vacant shops and houses also add to the overall effect of being unloved and uncared for by the locals which I have not come accross in a European country, in places it reminded me of Havana and other parts of Cuba. Malta was obviously at one time a grand and elegant island with wonderful architecture and although some restoration work in parts is underway it's going to take a labour of love to restore it all and I wonder if the population has lost interest.
I can see the pull for the older generation who seem to flock there in droves if our flight and fellow hotel guests are anything to go by, it's warm, dryer than the UK and the main resorts are on an easy farily level walk with frequent bus services around most of the island for those who want to get out beyond their resort.
For me the overall Malta experience was not one I will repeat, due to the obvious indifference from the locals which I found frustrating and the above retirement age of the bulk of other visitors, I don't think I am ready, just yet, for what felt like God's waiting room, maybe in another 20 years after I've retired I'll try again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LoriB37
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I have stayed at the Waterfront on several occasions, the last being in June of this year. Overall it is a good hotel, with great friendly staff and excellent location. Whilst the common areas of the hotel, reception, restaurants etc. are generally well maintained, the bedrooms are in need of refurbishment/upgrade. This is particularly so if it is to keep its four star rating. Fundamentally the rooms are fine, but the carpets, furniture and bathroom fittings all need upgrading. Even the televisions are of the old tube variery and are old and in most cases in need of repair.

All that said, I probably will go again next year, as my party had a great holiday and we love Malta. Whether we go stay at the Waterfront will depend in part on whether improvements are made.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher floors to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GMtripadviser
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Lovely hotel right on the water front, looking across the bay to Valletta. Decent sized, clean rooms, quiet A/C, nice balcony with sea view. The restaurant has a great view overlooking the bay, where you can get a good buffet breakfast lots of choice from full English to ham, cheese, pastries, etc for the continentals. This is also where the evening buffet meals are served, not nearly as good as the breakfast. As we found it difficult to find good restaurants in Silema itself, we did eat in the restaurant a couple of times but found it disappointing. We also tried the al la carte restaurant in the hotel and the food there was really good but sadly this was at the end of our stay. All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful.Unfortunately this could not be said of the Thomson rep. James, who was a mine of useless and often inaccurate information. When we asked about the Malta air show he suggested that we take the Thomson combined Sunday market and air show. We had already been to the market on his recommendation the previous Sunday, it was rubbish, surrounded by overpriced restaurants. We sent back our “freshly caught fish” which had been frozen and was badly cooked mush. Strange since the only good part of the market were the fresh fish stalls. To get back to the air show, after we declined the combined trip, we asked if we could easily get to the air show on the local bus. James said this would be no problem, just take the bus to the airport, and the old airport where the air show takes place is just next to the international airport. However, a waitress at one of the local restaurants said that this was not the case. We again asked James if he was sure about the bus and he assured us that there would no problem doing this so we followed his advice and took the bus but when we got to the new airport there was no sign of the air show and when we asked at the information desk we were told it was a 40 minute walk to the old airport. It was above 30 degrees C so we had to pay 30 Euros for a taxi to get there. When I told James about this next day he was very off hand. Don’t take any advice from this rep. I would recommend using the travel agent at the top of the main street along from the supermarket. He did give truthful information about the trips on offer, for example he informed people of the loud music played on the catamaran boat trip which did rather spoil the day at sea for us. It would have been useful if James had informed us about this when he sold us the same trip. Malta is very easy to get around, you can purchase on the bus a day pass for 2.50Euros. This is not true for Gozo but you can pick-up the bus at the ferry port and pay again to get to Victoria which is definitely worth a visit. The walled city, Mdina, is also well worth visiting. We did struggle to find a decent restaurant in Silema so I can’t recommend any. We liked Valletta a great deal and did find a decent restaurant there called the Office, which is located on the street adjacent to the government building on the square with fountains.

Room Tip: The boat trips are very over crowded to the extent that you could only sunbathe when you got to one...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelDaveT
Reviewed 8 November 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a week staying at the Waterfront in Malta. We picked the Hotel as it is advertised as 4star so we expected good standard of accommodation. We also paid extra for sea view rather than rear or side view rooms. Air conditioning was noisey and not efficient we gave up on it
We were allocated room 307 on arrival which was late evening. The room was large enough with a hanging wardrobe, several drawers, mini bar and large mirror. The beds were tiny single divans, the lighting although plentiful was gloomy. The bathroom had bath with a plastic shower hose/head fixed to taps which we later discovered constantly fell off the bracket so inorder to shower you had to keep hold of the shower head.
On getting up next morning we discovered our room was not front sea view as expected but side view of the sea and overlooked a takeaway resturant. We would have made more of a fuss of this but we quickly discovered that the noise from the road directly infront of the hotel overlooked by the front sea view rooms is horrendous so we stuck with what we had although we were still disturbed by traffic even being 3 rooms back from the front. It had small balcony with 2 plastic chairs and small plastic table but we didn;t sit out due to the noise.
The dining room is large enough and clean but the first morning it would have been nice if the were somone there to greet new guests and inform them that its a self service system and tables are not allocated as we hovered about before sussing this.
There was hot and cold buffet breakfast on offer with plenty of choice though the quality of some of the food was questionable. We were pleased that we had not booked for evening meals as there are several nice places just short walk away to the left of the Hotel. We ate in La Rive and Il Galeone resturants and enjoyed super meals several times. Avoid Newmans Place where we fully expected Basil Fawlty to emerge||| We also tried the Waterfront Hotel Basilico Cafe Bar where the food was average and the waitress rude.
The Waterfront Hotel is well situated on the Bay. There is a promenade which enables you to walk for miles into the next resorts which is nice. There are also plenty of bars, shops and boats to take you across to Valletta which is worth a trip. However, it falls far short of being 4star and we would not stay there again.

Room Tip: avoid low floors and front sea views
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple