“A very good choice, The Waterfont!!!”

The Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Heilbronn, Germany
“A very good choice, The Waterfont!!!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was lucky to get a double-bed-room as a single, so I had plenty of space. But also for a couple my room at the 7th floor (No 713) would have been big enough. Very nice furniture and much space for all the clothes and other thing. The little fridge was also very helpfull, as I could put in my own drinks besides the filling from the hotel. Very nice bathroom with clean towels every day. It is equiped with a hairdryer, an integrated Kleenex-box, a big mirror over the whole wall and round the basin plenty of space to put all the neccessary toiletries. Only the TV should be changed in a flatscreen soon, as this one has been very old and the quality of picture and sound sometimes was rather bad! The aircondition is in winter like a heating and in the evenings ist has always been nice and warm! Although the hotel is situated on the mainroad with plenty of traffic, especially during the rushours, you nearly can't hear any noice, if you keep the windows closed. And you can darken the room with very thick curtains, which means you sleep like a baby!
On the side of the hotel where my room has been, unfortunately the elevator doesn't stop at the first floor, where the restaurant is situated, so you have to go first downstairs to the lobby, then cross it to the other side and go upstairs again with an other lift to the first floor. That's a bit awquard, but at that time of the year (January) there were not so many people and I never had to wait too long to go by the elevators. And crossing the nicely furnitured lobby with many wonderfful foto-pictures on the walls has always been a great pleasure. Breakfast was - for my taste - very good and well sorted. And although I'm German I didn't mind that it was mainly English Breakfast!
Nearly all the staff at the hotel has been very nice and polite. And the whole facility has been very good cleaned.
The best at the end: The view from my balcony!!! Just fantastic!!!! And another good thing is, that the Busstops are very close to the hotel!
All in all ist The Waterfront Hotel a good 4-star-hotel!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors because of the fantastic view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Goody2014
Charmaine C, Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the team I would like to express my gratitude for your review and kind comments. Your positive comments give us all a reason to keep on with the service we provide and strive to be even better,

Please do let me know if I can personally be of any assistance

regards
Char

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have spent a whole month at the Waterfront for both business and leisure reasons and I am already missing it! The mixture of charme and professionality of the whole staff,all talented hosts who enjoy what they do ,the classy yet relaxed atmosphere were a real pleasure.The location is just perfect,close to the bus and the ferry to Valletta and this part of Sliema has got something genuine and not overcrowded.The room was spacius and bright,the view over the Manoel Island and the Marsamxett Harbour just amazing even from my side-seaview room,which I reccomend while quieter than those in the front but still with great view.A lovely lady from Marocco made up my room every day with great care and love for the details,both house keepers came to my room on the day of departure to say thank you and wish me a good journey back home.
The restauant staff was,with only one exeption who eventually got fired during my stay,attentive and friendly.The food was more than acceptable at dinner,breakfast was varied but the quality of the cheeses and cold meats was rather poor.
I enjoyed a lot at breakfast the plate of different citrus fruits,the petit pains au chocolat and the fried eggs on demand.At dinner the roasts from the carving station, the vegetables "al dente" and not overcooked,the cake "Bacio".
A few ideas for making your service even better:
- reliable Internet
- tea and coffe making facilities in the room
- do not intimidate guests who put their own bier or wine in the mini-bar...please remove that notice!
- change the music in the restaurant every now and then.I have heard one month long nearly everyday the same
-the mattresses should be changed,they are too old and soft
-the wonderful terrace on the 8th floor should be in use also in winter,ther os no real winter in Malta!

A special thank also to the reception and the portier, I will be back in Malta and it will be at the Waterfront!

Room Tip: Side-seaview rooms are quiter,ask for higher floors,ideally from 5th also because they are higher t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Charmaine C, Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback.

It was a pleasure to read about your enjoyable stay and I have taken note of all your comments and hopefully everything you mentioned will be in place in time for your next visit to our hotel

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you need any further assistance and I urge to have a look at our website when booking your next holiday as we more often than not have special offers and very favourable rates.

char
Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Just arrived home after 28 wonderful days in room 514, which has to have the best views in Malta!! Welcomed by Marvic and the team on reception where all problems or questions were solved in seconds. The chambermaid was Rahda, who kept the room spotless, changing sheets and pillows regularly. They were not worn and thin but of the finest quality linen. The television was perfectly functional and we made use of Sky News. She was also completely honest! I had in fact left the safe open all day with contents of cash, cards, silver and gold items. After inspection, all were found to be intact! We were on a bed and breakfast basis, and had a good selection of food but sometimes the plates were cold because the plate warmer hadn't been switched on. In the evening we used 'The Star' cafe which had a large menu of good food and also inexpensive. Drinks in the bar were cheaper than the local pubs.

In fact, we are planning on returning in November for a further two weeks at this fantastic hotel. See you all then!

Room Tip: Front view balconies are a must!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JWATSON222
Dear Guest,

Thanks you!! Thank you for the review and your comments, especially the ones about 2 of our team members, these are greatly appreciated not only because they recognise their hard work and commitment but also as such comments will certainly push all of us to strive even better

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 14 February 2014

the personal at the Hotel are very friendly and they really helped me a lot when i gor a Problem with a booked excursion. The food was horrible, in the morning it was always the same Food sometimes even the cups were dirty. In the evening food was not better, i got two days Problems with my stomach.
The view from my room was amazing and the personal was very nice.
If you decide to saty there, please do not pay for half board.

Room Tip: any room with sea view is nice.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review, your time is greatly appreciated. Thank you also for the kind comments about our team members

I was sorry to read that you were not satisfied with our restaurant and that you were sick. Please let me assure you that your sickness was not at all food related as should have this been the case, we would have got to know about such thing since we cater for a whole hotel. Having said this, I am still very disappointed to read that you felt that this was the cause.

Please do contact me on my personal email address ccamilleri@water.mizzi.com.mt should you wish to discuss this further

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

wow,fantastic location, very very clean hotel.we we're in room 718 ,our chambermaid was a star,our room spotless every day,thanks to her.the Porter was also a real nice guy.food passable,hard to please everyone I suppose.found it annoying that drink in restaurant was 30 cents more than in the bar,as the drinks came from the bar anyway!!!!. bar staff OK,apart from guy called Lawrence,he had his favorites,was all over some guests,just grunted at me all time ( maybe I don't tip big enough ).air con broke,
within 10 mins, a portable heater appeared,all in all,beautiful, fantastic, clean,great location hotel,I work in a hotel myself,must treat all guests same,not just the big tippers.a big thanks again to our chambermaid, usually find it's the lowest paid workers that are the nicest.A SMILE FROM HER EVERYDAY,BEAUTIFUL CLEAN ROOM,MANAGEMENT, GIVE HERE A RISE,SHE IS A CREDIT TO YOU AND YOUR LOVELY HOTEL.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback and thank you for the kind and nice comments about our housekeeping department. I will make sure that the person concerned reads your review and will be awarded for her hard work.

We have also spoken with Lawrence and stressed the importance of guest satisfaction and how imperative it is that all guests are treated equally.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance

cheshire
Reviewed 9 February 2014

And that is just the problem - the small details. How hard can it be for the management to resolve minor issues like the worn and dated bedding, towels etc. The hotel needs a makeover in the rooms, to bring them up to an acceptable standard. The TV in our room must have been 20 years old at least, and the extremely small shower cubicle was probably the same age; myself and my wife are slim, and we struggled!
There appears to be a problem with damp at this hotel - after torrential rain one of the days during our stay, there was a nasty smell in our room which didn't go away. There are also visible signs of damp in the bar & Basilico restaurant areas. Appoint a maintenance man!
Entertainment - there isn't any! some guy was there one night, playing a keyboard and singing out of tune. This competed with the piped music that was still being played in the restaurant - not a good combination! Awful!
Also, we don't understand why the stairs were roped off - why were guests not allowed to use them?
Now for the good points:
This hotel is the better one in the area; this was evident as many locals use it as a meeting point and social focus. Also, looking around Sliema, we could see that we had made a good choice booking the Waterfront. The staff are efficient and friendly, food and drinks in the bar are very good and reasonably priced, whether it is the Basilico restaurant or the Lobby Bar. Breakfast was adequate, with room for a little improvement. The bacon was very fatty, and the eggs were dry, but there was fresh fruit and yoghurt, and cereals, also cheeses and salad, and lovely bread with Lurpack butter. A very good point though was the fresh fruit juice - lovely and refreshing, rather than the nasty powdered stuff that a lot of hotels use.
The hotel is in a great location, central to anything you want to do really. One tip though - take care when you use the ferry service (the blue boat) that goes across to Valletta - completely unreliable! they cancelled the return service during the day, when business was slow, forcing us to either get a cab or take the bus back to Sliema. It's best to buy a single ferry ticket, or alternatively, use the bus - it's only 1.50 euro for a ticket that lasts all day, up to 11pm at night, so you could go back to Valletta for dinner if that is what you want to do. Plenty to do in Sliema, the Point shopping centre is well worth a visit. St Julian's is a 20 minute walk, lovely promenade. There is a very nice café/bar - the Cucina Pulita, on the water-side at Sliema, great to sit and watch the world go by, also fabulous view across to Valletta.
All in all though, we had a fantastic holiday, and if these small issues are addressed, the Waterfront Hotel could be a real winner.

Room Tip: not sure if one exists
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank altitudeCheshire
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and comments. I was happy to read that overall we have managed to make your stay an enjoyable one and that you were happy with our services and products.

With regards to your constructive feedback, I am pleased to inform you that we have started changing the mattresses and bed linen. About the dampness, unfortunately Malta was hit with severe downpours in a short period of time which causes dampness in some areas where water manages to seep through. Our maintenance team are always on hand when this happens but we always have to wait a while until the stone dries a bit before the works on the particular areas can start.

As you might be aware of, The Basilico Restaurant is big and has 2 entrances, and the only reason that we rope one side of the 2 stairwells, is because we want our guests to be greeted and acknowledge when they enter the restaurant.

Please do let me know if I and the rest of the team can ever be of further assistance and we are looking forward to welcoming back

Downham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This is my second visit to the Waterfront Hotel, again out of season. Because I found it so good the first time, I was keen to stay there again and I was not disappointed. The staff were friendly and very helpful, the food good, and the room simple and comfortable.

1 Thank William A
Dear Guest,

Thank you!! It is refreshing to read such positive review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel Please do let us know if we can ever be of any assistance