We are just back from spending 4 nights at The Waterfront. This was our first (and last) visit to Malta so unable to compare with other Malta hotels, but have certainly had better and worse across Europe.
Staff: most of the staff were friendly, but those in the dinning hall were sullen (maybe they were embarrassed regarding the standard of the food?).
However, on checkout.....the 2 staff members behind the desk did not greet us as we approached the desk, did not enquire if we had enjoyed our stay? or wish us a good journey home or say goodbye......big training need here I think.
Room: based on other reports we upgraded to a seaview room with balcony. Nice enough room, plenty of space to move around and fantastic view across the bay to Valletta. However, the hotel sits on the main road in and out of Selina to Valletta so even on the 6th floor, there was still a lot of road noise. It would seem that the windows are not double glazed.
Bathroom was ok, but I can't remember the last time I saw a plastic shower hose attachment in any hotel let alone one professing to 4 stars? And only toiletries supplied are a liquid soap dispenser, not too unsimilar to those found in public toilets or in cheaper hotels.
Hairdryer, as effective as a gentle warm summer light breeze.
Any one thinking 'oh good a minibar'.....there is nothing on the website to say that this only contains soft drinks.
TV, this may be normal for Malta, but very old by UK/Europe standards (not flat screen).
Beds: (we had 2 single) comfy enough, but we were disgusted to see that there were no mattress or pillow protectors which is surely the most basic of requirements in any hotel? particularly a 4 star hotel. Maybe we've been watching too many episodes of Hotel Inspector.
Food: As we arrived mid-evening, for the first night we decided to eat at the hotel given the number of good reports on trip adviser. What a big mistake, and it made us wonder where else other people eat if they thought this was good. It was cheap, yes but not particularly good quality. It was buffet style and undoubtably one of the worst meals we had eaten in any hotel. Needless to say we gave that a miss for the rest of the holiday.
Breakfast: nice bacon, but eggs and bread totally tasteless and to make coffee that bad takes some skill!
So overall, this could be a nice hotel, but they really need to drag themselves into the 21st century and make some improvements.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront Hotel is a leading 4 star hotel in Malta. Situated in an excellent location along the Sliema promenade, the hotel is placed within walking distance from public transport and other services including bars and restaurants, several shopping outlets, The Plaza Shopping Centre and the Sliema Ferries. With stunning views of the Sliema creek, Manoel Island and the unmistakable silhouette of the capital city Valletta, The Waterfront hotel is the perfect choice for discerning travelers seeking comfort in exquisite surroundings. All of the 165 Hotel rooms and Suites are maintained to a very high standard and feature a balcony and an en suite or open plan bathroom. Rooms are also equipped with various amenities including private bathroom, Cable TV, Mini Bar, Safe Deposit Box, Radio, Air Conditioning and Room Service. Complimentary WiFi is available in all areas of the hotel. The Waterfront hotel is also a popular venue for quality events and meetings in Malta. Our hotel is a perfect option for those getting married in Malta or are spending their honeymoon in Malta. The Waterfront Hotel offers dining options such as a buffet breakfast and dinner at the Regatta Restaurant or light snacks at the Lobby Bar. The Indoor Pool will also be undergoing extensive renovation works, and in view of the upcoming development of our Lido we shall offer complimentary transport and access to a neighboring Lido to ensure that our guests find the facilities they expect. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Waterfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waterfront Hotel Malta
- Waterfront Hotel Sliema Malta
- The Waterfront Hotel Malta/Sliema