“4 star? really? perhaps only in Malta?”

The Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We are just back from spending 4 nights at The Waterfront. This was our first (and last) visit to Malta so unable to compare with other Malta hotels, but have certainly had better and worse across Europe.

Staff: most of the staff were friendly, but those in the dinning hall were sullen (maybe they were embarrassed regarding the standard of the food?).

However, on checkout.....the 2 staff members behind the desk did not greet us as we approached the desk, did not enquire if we had enjoyed our stay? or wish us a good journey home or say goodbye......big training need here I think.

Room: based on other reports we upgraded to a seaview room with balcony. Nice enough room, plenty of space to move around and fantastic view across the bay to Valletta. However, the hotel sits on the main road in and out of Selina to Valletta so even on the 6th floor, there was still a lot of road noise. It would seem that the windows are not double glazed.
Bathroom was ok, but I can't remember the last time I saw a plastic shower hose attachment in any hotel let alone one professing to 4 stars? And only toiletries supplied are a liquid soap dispenser, not too unsimilar to those found in public toilets or in cheaper hotels.
Hairdryer, as effective as a gentle warm summer light breeze.
Any one thinking 'oh good a minibar'.....there is nothing on the website to say that this only contains soft drinks.
TV, this may be normal for Malta, but very old by UK/Europe standards (not flat screen).
Beds: (we had 2 single) comfy enough, but we were disgusted to see that there were no mattress or pillow protectors which is surely the most basic of requirements in any hotel? particularly a 4 star hotel. Maybe we've been watching too many episodes of Hotel Inspector.
Food: As we arrived mid-evening, for the first night we decided to eat at the hotel given the number of good reports on trip adviser. What a big mistake, and it made us wonder where else other people eat if they thought this was good. It was cheap, yes but not particularly good quality. It was buffet style and undoubtably one of the worst meals we had eaten in any hotel. Needless to say we gave that a miss for the rest of the holiday.
Breakfast: nice bacon, but eggs and bread totally tasteless and to make coffee that bad takes some skill!

So overall, this could be a nice hotel, but they really need to drag themselves into the 21st century and make some improvements.

Room Tip: Any room on the front even at higher level will be noisy. This was our experience of the 6th floor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Seagull1WestSussex
Charmaine C, Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to share with us your feedback following your stay at our hotel.

I was sorry to read that we failed to meet let alone exceed your expectations and I kindly ask you to contact me directly with more details to allow me to look into the matter further. My email address is ccamilleri@water.mizzi.com.mt or on +356 2090 6850

At our hotel we value and appreciate all our guests and as such your comments come as a surprise.

I sincerely hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for The Waterfront Hotel

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The hotel is facing east (at least on the entrance side), which makes possible that all mornings where there is no clouds, the sun will embrace you and get you out of bed. The view is very nice from the small balcony, you can breathe in the city which is waking up.
Even if the room was facing the street, I did not find it disturbingly noisy.
Rooms are not so big, but comfortable.
I have missed the vanity kit from the bathroom.
Some small shops are in the right vicinity of the hotel and you'll find the fancy ones further up the street.
Hotel also offers a variety of eating possibilities. I would recommend the Basilico restaurant.
Some people (waiter, reception) also speak Hungarian, which was a nice surprise for me.

Room Tip: the higher the better.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sza_bee

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and team I would like to thank you for your kind comments. It is a pleasure to read that we have managed to make your stay an enjoyable one

Please do let me know if can ever be of any assistance

Regards

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our first visit to Malta, March 2014. We chose the Waterfront Hotel for its location and reasonable rates. Perfect for the Ferry to Valetta also the ferries offering harbour cruises etc. Bus stops adjacent to the Hotel offering alternative cheap travel into Valetta and from there all over the Island. Hotel very clean, front and back office staff extremely helpful and welcoming on arrival. Rooms large and comfortable with a daily cleaning service. A good choice of food is offered in the restaurant for both breakfast and evening meal. A really good place to stay. We would go back anytime.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Joan C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation for your vacation.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you ever require any assistance

Reviewed 26 March 2014

A lovely friendly hotel. Friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are clean, quiet and have what is required. We did not want anywhere with gym or health facilities and this suited us perfectly. We had bed and breakfast and when we did have an evening meal, which was several times, the food was very good. we wanted a hotel that was our base where we could come and go as we wanted without being tied to times for eating. The position of the hotel is very central and everywhere is within easy reach by bus or walkng. Would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JPK53

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time writing the review. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated by everyone as these would assist us to strive even better

Reviewed 20 March 2014

A warm welcome;good food(both breakfast and dinner);spotlessly clean;friendly,efficient staff throughout the hotel and a perfect location to visit all the sights of Malta.Some reviews state that the traffic noise is too loud, but we say the hustle and bustle adds to the atmosphere of Sliema.
This was our second visit to The Waterfront where we stayed for a month's holiday and we loved it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 685sue

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review and kind comments, these are greatly appreciated.

We are looking forward to hosting you again at our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you ever require any assistance

Reviewed 19 March 2014

My wife and I have been going to Malta every year for ten years. In fact we got married in Valletta eight years ago. Most of the holidays we stay in the Waterfront unless it is fully booked. It is a beautifully clean hotel with the most friendly staff I have found and I have travelled extensively. We have already booked a week in May and two weeks in September (our wedding anniversary). We have made lots of Maltese friendsand this adds to the enjoyment of each holiday. We normally book an upstairs Seaview room which is greatly recommended. There is nothing nicer than to sit on the balcony in the evening with a bottle of nice Green Label wine.
The hotel food is good although we like to be adventurous and have dinner at different restaurants of which there are many. The Reception, bar and porter staff are all exceedingly helpful and the room maids keep the rooms in immaculate condition.
We hope to have many more holidays there.
Jim & Christine Watson, Oban, Scotland.

Room Tip: High level Seaview is less noisy from the traffic which can be noisy at lower levels at rush hour ti...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James W
Charmaine C, Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear Jim & Christine,

Thank you for the review, it is greatly appreciated.

We have received your email with your requests for your next visit and we will do our utmost to accommodate you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in May and in the meantime please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have just returned from a 5 day break at the Waterfront Hotel and had a wonderful time and could recommend it totally.
I researched comprehensively where to stay as it was my 1st visit to Malta and I wanted to be somewhere where I could do a lot of sight seeing from and it is the perfect place , in my opinion.
I stayed in room 713 - a top floor room with a fantastic view of Valetta. It was large and kept very clean . I would suggest taking your own toiletries , there was soap in a pump but no shampoo, conditioner etc .
I ate and drank in the Star Café and The Brasilico and can recommend them both , the prices were very reasonable and wraps , baked potatoes , salads , pasta and afternoon tea -sandwiches, cakes, scones were delicious. Though the prices of the cans of beer and cider were very expensive compared to the rest of the drinks prices.
I went on Malta Sightseeing hop on/off bus as though more expensive than the red bus Sity Sightseeing bus they went to many more parts and therefore as a 1st time visitor I did see way more - each tour is 3 hours long. Also went to Gozo and did the hop on/off bus tour there . Definitely recommend . The free harbour cruise that came with the tours is great . All the bus stops including the terminus and the ferry to Valetta are a very short walk ie about 5 minutes from the hotel. Local buses so cheap and run on time all over the island - 1.5 euros a day and the same for the ferry crossing to Valetta
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a stay in Malta .

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view , high floor . It is definitely worth it as the views are amazing
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Viv G

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your writing the review and sharing your experience with other readers. I am glad that our met and hopefully even exceeded your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back

Kind Regards