This was our second visit to this hotel. We last visited ten years ago at the very end of September and we had good memories of a wonderful holiday there then. We again requested a side twin room high up and we were delighted to get a corner room on the fifth floor. Our adult son had a twin room to himself (at extra cost) a few floors below facing the inner courtyard. The corner room was very spacious which was great for us having our son often relaxing with us. The balcony had good views and there was no traffic noise when the doors were closed
The room could do with a revamp - the long wall of the room on the left side looked a bit like it had been scraped for painting and then not done, or else it was damp, we were not sure. The beds were comfortable and had welcome top sheets and covers and blankets if you needed them (not needed!) The bathroom was certainly adequate but not up to what one expects of a four star hotel, but everything was working well and we appreciated continual hot water. The inner bathroom door needed re - varnishing and the room lacked toiletries. In the bedroom there was a small fridge to store our water in and a kettle, cups and small selection of tea bags, coffee sachets etc. We were glad to have brought our own teabags as there were only two tea bags put in there daily. The free wi-fi worked very well in our room and that of our sons', so maybe intermittent wi-fi that other reviewers have mentioned depends upon where one's room is situated. It was appreciated that the wi-fi was free. There was also a roomy safe in the wardrobe and again that was free to use, and that was very welcome.
We were looking forward to excellent air conditioning again but unfortunately this was not the case this time. We arrived in 28C heat and during the course of that afternoon the air con was lack lustre to say the least, although we had set it at the maximum. It was not lovely, cold air conditioning that we had had ten years before. During that night we all woke up in a sweat, the air con was pumping warm air into the room and we could not sleep for the heat. We reported this next morning to reception who sent an engineer to check it, but it was no better that night. Only then we found out that the "cool" air con was switched off at about 10.30pm and then it just pumps out general air, which made the room temp to the mid 20'sC. (We had a small thermometer with us) Obviously this is to save costs, but it is during the night that one needs it. If the hotel wants to save costs, it would be better to switch it off for a few hours during the day when most people are out. So our sleeps were not at all good during our stay. Our son had exactly the same problem in his room. and could not sleep for the heat.
Housekeeping was better - I requested different pillows and this was arranged immediately. The rooms were cleaned well and the staff were quiet in the corridors.
The staff at reception were exceptionally friendly and helpful as was the porter who helped us with our bags when we arrived. They are a credit to the hotel and one of the hotel's best points, apart from its position.
We were on a B&B basis and did not rate the breakfasts as up to scratch for a four star hotel. The fruit juices from the machine were hit and miss, sometimes very watery and awful, sometimes fine. The tea and coffee were OK from the machine. Mostly I was disappointed that there was no-one on duty behind the hot food. Usually in a hotel there is someone to cook fried eggs, omelettes etc on the spot but this was not the case. I had to go looking for a staff member to request a fried egg, and the first time my order was forgotten and I had to re-order while it was done in the kitchen and altogether I must have waited about ten minutes. I didn't think the staff at breakfast time were on the ball, but maybe there was a staff shortage at that time? The hot food was exactly the same every day and not very appetising, except the chicken sausages which I loved. The fresh fruit salad was not inviting to eat at all, a lot of it apple swimming in juice. I did enjoy the big bowl of yoghurt though. Not eating wheat, I did not try the small cakes/biscuits but they did not look very nice and my son confirmed this.
In the evenings we ate out three times and the rest we ate at The Basilica. This was a lovely, attractive restaurant with great views and the staff were attentive. The food was excellent, nice generous portions, very tasty and reasonably priced. We loved this restaurant. We did not try the main restaurant for the evening buffet. One afternoon we had tea and cake in the ground floor cafe and this was very good too. We were served by two very friendly foreign girls and the cakes were delicious. It is bought in but is very good, worth a visit.
As everyone else has mentioned, the hotel is so well positioned for the buses, ferry, shops, eating places etc and this is really its selling point. We had booked months in advance to visit the Hypogeum and were worried we might miss our expensive, timed slot. However, a short work from the hotel to one of the bus stops and we caught the airport bus to within a few yards of the place.
All in all we enjoyed our holiday as we love Malta, but feel that the Waterfront needs to address a number of things to bring it up to what one expects from a four star hotel - mainly the air con, the quality of the breakfasts, and the revamping of the bedrooms and for this reason I give it only three stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront Hotel is a leading 4 star hotel in Malta. Situated in an excellent location along the Sliema promenade, the hotel is placed within walking distance from public transport and other services including bars and restaurants, several shopping outlets, The Plaza Shopping Centre and the Sliema Ferries. With stunning views of the Sliema creek, Manoel Island and the unmistakable silhouette of the capital city Valletta, The Waterfront hotel is the perfect choice for discerning travelers seeking comfort in exquisite surroundings. All of the 165 Hotel rooms and Suites are maintained to a very high standard and feature a balcony and an en suite or open plan bathroom. Rooms are also equipped with various amenities including private bathroom, Cable TV, Mini Bar, Safe Deposit Box, Radio, Air Conditioning and Room Service. Complimentary WiFi is available in all areas of the hotel. The Waterfront hotel is also a popular venue for quality events and meetings in Malta. Our hotel is a perfect option for those getting married in Malta or are spending their honeymoon in Malta. The Waterfront Hotel offers dining options such as a buffet breakfast and dinner at the Regatta Restaurant or light snacks at the Lobby Bar. The Indoor Pool will also be undergoing extensive renovation works, and in view of the upcoming development of our Lido we shall offer complimentary transport and access to a neighboring Lido to ensure that our guests find the facilities they expect. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Waterfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waterfront Hotel Malta
- Waterfront Hotel Sliema Malta
- The Waterfront Hotel Malta/Sliema