“A good place to meet with your friends”
Review of Tex Mex

Tex Mex
Ranked #24 of 194 Restaurants in Sliema
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: TEX MEX is Malta's ONLY authentic American Bar & Grill, having moved to our present Chic & Trendy venue on the Sliema Strand. TEX MEX offers an American style menu with some Mexican influence, with a choice of favourite TEX MEX dishes. Although always seasoned accordingly our menu is by no means hot & spicy in it's entirety except for items which are indicated so according to our chili pepper heat meter which allows you to heat up most dishes to your liking by means of specially imported chili peppers & ingredients. The revised menu includes all our classic favorites plus a wider selection of platters, appetizers, chicken, fish & pasta choices all prepared fresh to order whilst our fully stocked bar offers two for one on cocktails daily from 3:00 pm till 7:00 pm! Be it breakfast/brunch, lunch or late afternoon and evening meals the majority of our vast menu is offered all day long from noon with our favourite signature dishes being the Quality Fresh Prime Cut Steaks, Wagyu Burgers & Baby Back Ribs all island famous whilst offering excellent value for money. In fact TEX MEX is open all day hosting djs and live music on most nights. The ambience is the latest in design and decor, lively & pleasant also offering seafront patio dining. Surprise yourself as it is more then just a restaurant, not your cheap & cheerful local but an Uber Bar & Grill based on Quality offering cuisine on the upper echelons of casual dining utilising only the best & freshest of produce, a selection of brand, premium & top shelf spirits served from house level up also utilised in our exquisite cocktails, an array of over 100 wine varietals besides fusing into a lively club lounge ambient wise.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Here I got what I wanted when meet with my friends. First the cocktails are fantastic and there are a big range to choose from, and form the food I love that huge ribs hmmm love them!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We visited twice, on 1st Visit, we had spare ribs, they were really tough, like they had been deep fried, but the Fajitas were amazing! On the 2nd visit we ordered a lasagne each, it seem expensive at 12 euros, were as the other restaurants next door were just charging 6 euros.
It was a really long wait, 45 mins for 2 lasagne's is disgusting, but got to say was worth the wait, I have visited Malta before where the Food was exceptional, I think the food and service has gone down hill. Music blasting during your dinner and unable to hear yourself think let alone enjoy your food, and watching the lovely staff being told off twice in front of us was unprofessional, I am afraid I won't be back again, I don't think it's worth paying double for food, when your service is lousy, shame because the waiters don't even approach you when you walk in you have to approach them even after being there for 20 minutes.

Managment123, Owner at Tex Mex, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Mr.
Thanks ever so much for taking the time out to review our establishment whilst I felt the need to reply and perhaps convince you of the basis of our pricing which is primarily based on the quality of the produce we purchase and utilise in our meals at Tex Mex.
For example the Lasagna is made with no less then 3 diferent meats being fresh ground in house Black Angus beef, Toscana sausage & Spanish Chorizo which along with all the other fine & numerous ingredients make the cost of a lasgna to us way more then other establishments you could be accustomed to or actually mentioned here. Unfortunately not everybody acnkowledges the fact that a simple lasagna could be upgraded to gourmet levels and hence, unfortunately, we have deleted it from our newly revised menu as it is not fair for it to be compared to a lasagna made with cheap frozen meat & tinned ingredients as in fact even our house Pommodoro sauce is nade with fresh tomatoes amongst other ingredients.
kindly accept our profuse apology for the ribs they usually are not and should never have been tough and I assure you this has been looked into and would gladly make it up to you if you were to kindly give us the opportunity of visiting us again, you may feel free to contact me on info@texmexmalta.com. Neither should you have waited for 20 minutes to be approached but I'm sure you could have got one of the servers attention within a whole 20 mins, never the less if this was the case it is unacceptable whilst lso waiting for your food for 45 mins is on the long side but the lasgane was actually heated up in the oven and it could take some time especially if there were other orders preceeding yours but full apologies for that as well.
Unfortunately as much as we would love to we cannot possibly satisfy or be to the liking of everybody from every walk of life with what one person may deem as enjoyable another may see in the same light as your good self but I cannot apologise for our music policy as it is proving to be very succesfull with Tex Mex, thanks the Lord, always packed on key nights. Our local & foriegn dj's do play various genres of music from r 'n' b to salsa to modern and classic vocal house & dance music (not techno or edm though) besides hosting local & foriegn live acts which is on the whole widely appreciated by our esteemed guests and we would like to believe adds extra value as entertainment content. In fact the establishment is designed as a bar & restaurant fusing into a lounge club as the night progreses and is licensed accordingly but the volumes in the actual dining areas are always kept at reasonable levels or off, obviously the music filters up from the bar area with the main focus, volume wise, being in the dj area. If you were dining in our bar area the volume could be deemed as loud at certain times but I'm sure we would have gladly hosted you in the proper dining area upon request away from the sound. Never the less in the spirit of customer is always right policy we would still like to extend a personal apology to you as any unsatisfied customer is a negative to us and as hard as we try we cannot possibly please everybody although we wish that there was a possibility whereas we could get you to change your mind and sincerely apologise if your visit with us was not to your satisfaction.
We truly believe in our policy of purchasing and offering only the best quality available and will persist in doing so whilst striving to offer the best possible atmosphere in our state of the art establishment being one of Malta's most popular established since 1995, having hosted countless satisfied guests although we must admit it is difficult to satisfy all people from all walks of life, as much as we wish to.
Never the less in the spirit of the customer is always right we would like to offer our apologies to you seeing that you were not 100 % satisfied with your experience with us

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We went to Tex Mex yesterday eve with a few friends. We were a group of 6 people in total and many of us looking forward to eat their well-known ribs. When we arrived the waitress showed us our table, I booked it the same afternoon, the restaurant was almost empty and she lead us to a table next to the bar where the music was so loud that we were not able to talk at all...to change the table was not a big problem although they already seemed annoyed by us asking for changing it... Then it all started a waitress which barely spoke English took our drink orders, then another one came to take the orders for food they were out of the "Garlic style Pizza" which 2 of us wanted to share...well no problem we took Nachos instead, going on with our main courses everything seemed fine. We got our starters they were good not outstanding but okay, and when we finished it the waitress came back telling us that they are out of ribs, ribs is ONE MAIN thing they offer on the menu, not only served as single choice but also on all combo meat platters they offer. Without telling us any alternative she ran off...we called her back asking her nicely what we could have on our platters instead of it she replied with:" More other meat, but for one platter we can still actually do ribs!" One of our friends had chosen a platter with a combo of Chicken and ribs (so chicken wings and ribs together) he asked if he could have pork instead of the ribs the waitress just said:" NO!" So we asked her what else he could have and her really pissed of and rude snapping reply was:" I don't know just take something else, it is not my fault we are out of ribs, take just chicken wings if you like or whatever!" Then most of us got angry (of course) and she was almost gonna run off again before our friend decided to just take a bigger portion of stuffed potato-shells (a starter usually). One thing is for sure the food was tasty but if we ever go back there and she will serve us we will tell her when it comes to the bill:" OOOPS we are out of money, not our fault!"

Mykilldj, General Manager at Tex Mex, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hello Jasmin

At face value I have to say that you are 100% correct and would like to extend our full apologies.

However I would hate you to get the impression that this is the norm at Tex Mex and I am sure you are aware of this but sometimes bad things come in dozens and I would really, really appreciate if you would assist us to solve this matter so we may avoid situations like this as much as possible. At the end of the day we are only human and tend to err.

Perhaps all the wrongs on the day gave you too much of a bad experience but things like the music, for example, are the norm at key times at Tex Mex seeing we host Dj’s and live music regularly which in fact enhances our popularity on the whole; obviously we cannot keep everybody happy but Tex Mex was designed to be a bar & restaurant fusing into a lounge club which is the trend locally and internationally with most popular places and as you correctly said we do offer a quieter area in our restaurant.

On the day in question I believe last Sunday, not less then 3 members of waiting staff called in sick and as luck would have it, thanks the Lord we were extremely busy all day also with regards out of stock items it is written on our policy section that keeping within our fresh is best policy some items could not be available but with such a large menu the choices are infinite and yes it does look bad on us running out of one of our best sellers being the ribs besides the unprofessional waitress who is usually just a runner and does not take orders, hence her inexperience.

Jasmine, though, no excuses from our end when we mistake we admit it and would really appreciate if you would kindly contact me on either info@texmexmalta.com at your convenience please, granting me some of your time whilst perhaps allowing me to make it up to you and win you back as our esteemed client at Tex Mex.

Apologies once again

(Managing Director)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I love this place! Great mexican food, Really good service considering how busy this place gets. And 2 for 1 cocktails from 3pm to 7pm everyday

Managment123, Owner at Tex Mex, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for your positive review, we are glad you enjoyed our restaurant.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stopped off for a light lunch hoping for some simple Tex Mex. The menu was a bit pricy for the style of restaurant. The waitress was friendly enough. We ordered the Potato skins with mushrooms and bacon bits and chicken Nachos. The nachos, at €12.95, were quite expensive, but it said it would serve up 3 or 4 people. There were two of us.

The potato skins, actually two small potatoes cut in half, arrived cold. We sent them back. The waitress said they would do some fresh ones. The nachos were thrown together, which I kind of know they always are, but somehow these were more so. Everything tasted like it was out of a jar. The chicken was dry and stringy. It was JUST enough for 2 people. The 'fresh' potato skins arrived after we'd finished the nachos (about 20 mins later). The portion had bizarrely reduced to one and a half potatoes. They were warm but poor.

I can't find anything to like about the place, even the waitress seemed a bit embarrassed by the food.

Malta has too many great restaurants to waste money going here.

1  Thank Marcus T
Managment123, Owner at Tex Mex, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Mr. Marcus T
First & foremost we would like to apologise and extend our deep regrets that your visit with us was not to your satisfaction.
We would appreciate though if you allowed us to point out what seem to be some misunderstandings on your side with regards what our menu clearly states with regards your choices.
With regards the potato shells it, the menu, clearly states: 2 deep fried potato shell halves not two halved potatoes which is basically one good sized potato split in two but when we deem the potatoes available too small we add an extra half or even two. Apologies with regards them not being hot enough which was what was explained to the waitress as opposed to them actually being cold which is extremely difficult seeing they are deep fried.
With regards the nachos which we sell dozens of weekly what can I say, yes they are piled up or as you wish to say thrown together which you actually confirm is the way such a dish is constructed although even here you seem to have attempted to shed a bad light. With regards the chicken not being to your liking again apologies although this is actually seasoned, slow cooked and shredded tnen mixed in a complex recipe passed on to us by one of our guest mexican chefs to include imported chiles.
Furthermore Mr. Marcus you were choosing from the APPETIZER section which is split in 2 indicating dishes that serve 1 to 2 or 3 persons and dishes that indicate 2 to 3 or 4 persons but always as an appetizer so again I cannot see what we have actually done wrong here an appetizer is supposed to prelude a meal and not serve as a full meal although it would be more than enough to serve as exactly that "an appetizer" although if one were to choose one of these dishes on his own as opposed to sharing it would surely suffice as a snack. In fact we have never ever had problems with our portion size being small, actually on the contrary.
Apologies but I feel that you are attempting to be slightly malicious even by the way you stated for the type of restaurant we are pricy? Apologies if we were not within your budget but all prices are clearly displayed and we would like to believe we offer excellent value & quality for money, being in business for the best part of 20 years serving multiple return clients should be testament to that.
We in fact are a trendy very, very popular establishment, on the prominent Sliema Strand that has been totally refurbished just over 2 years ago to very high levels leaving no expense to be spared whilst we only purchase top quality ingredients and beverages many of which are specially imported for us. I shall not list the actual extremely high overheads it entails to operate an establishment such as ours.
I also cannot comprehend why you choose to describe Tex Mex as simple?
It's a shame that you could not comprehend or chose to misinterpret the descriptions on the menu and the fact that you were actually ordering from the Appetizer section, I believe our menu is clearly explained whilst written in English so there should have been no problem with an English speaking person to comprehend what is actually written so I assume you actually chose to explain it in a rather damaging manner which I don't believe is fair?
No Mr. Marcus neither myself, being the proprietor or the said waitress or any of my staff are ashamed of neither our food, service or atmosphere in fact we are very proud of what we have accomplished over the years.
Of course everybody has the right to his/her own opinion which obviously is subjective and by all means we would be the first to admit to our short comings and are only human and prone to error but given the opportunity we gladly make up for any such instances.
Never the less in the spirit of "the customer is always right" we would like to extend our sincere apologies and would hope you may possibly give us the benefit of the doubt and perhaps visit with us again in the future