“the location is nice”

Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
Athens, Greece
“the location is nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

Right on the seaside, the location is nice, but there is no beach around (typical for Malta) and the rooms are pretty old. But is what you pay for. The price is fair. The breakfast is basic.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ramona D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

Worst hotel we ever stayed at in Malta !We arrived late a thursday night,the staff told us taht we had to WALK whith our luggage to another hotel,because there was something wrong whith the electricity ! Next morning we went back for a really poor breakfast and were told to wait until after 14 o´clock for our room.I got so mad,barking like a dog,we got the room 11.30.....We paid full price,no compensatoin at all:Policy of the hotel,they said.
Same thing happened to other guests during the week,a totally lie,I guess they had overbooked and lied about it.
If you put the one and only towel you get,do´nt expect to get it back.....perhaps there isn´t enough of them for a change.Never ever again we´ll stay there !

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Peterborough, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

Location perfect. Breakfast ok. We stayed in a sea view balcony twin room
, and have to say for the price we paid it was perfectly adequate., After reading very negative reviews, was pleasently suprised to find clean and fresh room, my only negative comment would be the sheets were too small for the bed, so you ended up sleeping on the matteress. The bathroom was somewhat dated but very clean but plenty of hot water at all times. The staff were very friendly and more than helpful making our stay all we needed. . The hotel had all age groups staying but we found it very peaceful and quiet. We would happily book again but please give me bigger sheets!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank DAISYROSIECHARLIE3
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

okay i have to say something. I do not have high expectations at all. but thsi is the worst service i ever received at a hotel in my life. However, there are many positives....the hotel is ideally located on the seafront near retaurants, shopping, grocery, etc. for a bonus, check out the fish foot spa nearby on the same street. breakfast was pleasantly good. and the breakfast kitchen staff Brian is amazing! he is also an entertainer and he invited us to come to his show. the room was great. no complaints.

now..on the the ugly part of the hotel. I arrived as a solo female traveller at 12am and upon arriving, I was told that they do not have any more room for me, and they are overbooked for the night. I asked how on earth is this possible as I booked well in advance and have a receipt and reservation number.the man said sorry but he will send me to a nearby hotel at 'no extra charge'. i was fuming because guess what.....he made me walk, by myself, at 1am, carrying two heavy backpacks, to a hotel down the street , by MYSELF, in a country i just arrived in and know nothing about. the hotel he sent me to was a cheaper hotel, and i hear this is something that goes on. they overbook, and then send you to a cheaper hotel and make a profit. then to top it off, they said i would have to check out fo the other hotel at 12am, and leave my luggage (pack it all back up again) and come back after 2pm to my room at their hotel. wasted half of the next day, and still the room was not ready at 2pm. and then when i was to check out a few days later, i was being rushed.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cookienani
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

depressing entrance. very disorganised desk. room was dark and dingy. no skirting boards. window looking onto a wall. no daylight. couldn't get the light in bathroom to work but one day i came back to the room and it was working and i couldn't turn it off, to this day i dont know how! breakfast was poor. glad to check out

cant believe someone said it was as good as a 4 star hotel....amazing!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Stenoo
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

So you're looking at Expedia and you really, really want to stay somewhere close to Valletta that will be affordable. Hey, there's Europa Hotel! A couple bad reviews... hmm... Sounds ok, right? Price is decent? How bad can it be?

This was, by far, the most awful hotel we stayed at on our three-month journey through Europe. I gave it the 5 D's: Dark, Dismal, Depressing, Dirty, Dreadful.

The staff were incredibly surly and unorganized. They had the nerve to blame me for the fact that my room was not cleaned TWICE. The rooms were disgusting, cold, dreary, half the stuff in the room was broken (heater, TV, all outlets, shower was completely clogged and didn't work for the first two nights - plus they forgot to repair it the first day) and we had to ask not once, not twice, but THREE times for towels. The room furnishings were laughable.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by some girl who looked like she had NO idea why two travelers could possibly be walking through the front door with luggage in their hands. She stared at us, waiting for us to say something, as if we were lost rather than checking in at 2PM, check-in time. She said we would have to wait for our room, and told us we could pile up our backpacks in the doorway with about 20 other pieces of luggage while we waited. Mind you, there were 20 silent people sitting in the dark in the adjacent room starting at us, for some reason.

The last straw was when the women at the front desk had the gall to remind me that I was *only* paying x-dollars per night after I complained about the room not being cleaned twice, as if I should be responsible for picking a crappy hotel in Malta and that it was my problem, not theirs.

Breakfast was disgusting. Milk with bugs and hair in it, stale cornflakes, dirty trays, dirty and dark seating area, completely disheveled man working the buffet, absolutely unprofessional.

Only positive: LOCATION. Sliema is beautiful, close to Malta, right along a convenient bus route and there is a nice grocery store nearby.

Also, there was one redeeming quality about the staff: an older man by the name of Jeffrey, the only saving grace of this poor excuse for a hotel.

Overall, this hotel gave me a lasting headache. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. STAY AWAY, or GOD HELP YOU.
I have pictures of all this garbage for anyone who requests them.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wanderer119
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

This is a one-star "hotel". We stayed in a double bed room with a window that opened to a view of a wall. We could hear everyone urinating and the cigarette smoke came through the walls even with the windows closed. The bathroom needed to be soaked with Clorox and a fire hose and smelled of urine. The toilet seat was broken. The shower was a hand-held device that did not stay hooked to the wall so it was a little challenging to shower. The water was hot. The price was very cheap. There were no bugs, thankfully. No TV. The internet was not free and we couldn't even buy time because it didn't work throughout the entire hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple