“It wasn't that bad at all!”
Review of Europa Hotel

Europa Hotel
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 12 June 2009

We just got home from an 11 nights long stay at the Europa Hotel.
I was a bit sceptic about the hotel after reading all these comments, and I set my expectations really low upon arrival, but I was surprised to find out that it wasn't that
bad at all.

This is the cheapest hotel you can possibly find in Malta. It's prices are almost half as low as on any other budget hotel. We also had a "10'th night for free"-discount, and another 10% discount (after some googleing) on the booking website. We ended up paying a total of € 300 for 11 nights, and that being the slightly higher price for a room with sea view and balcony!

So we got a quite large room with one double bed and two single beds, a big closet and a desk with mirror, TV-set, a hairdryer and a ceiling fan. The bathroom was nice and clean.
The TV worked just fine, and with a huge amount of channels. The elevator worked just fine. The staircase was fine. The staff was friendly and helpful. The view from the balcony was great. The location was great, as you're just 10 minutes away from both Valletta and St Julians, you have the sea promenade right outside, you're also just minutes away from alot of resturaunts, bars, supermarkets, ATMs, bus- and ferry services, shops etc.

The room was clean, the furniture was quite modern but the double bed could've been a bit better, as it was making a whole lot of noise as soon as you moved yourself in it.

The bed was made and the towels changed every day. The breakfast was decent... Four different kinds of bread, ham, cheese, a toaster, milk, cornflakes, eggs, salt & sugar, icewater, hot water, tea bags, coffee (quite bitter), butter, marmelade, nutella and a quite awful orange(?)juice.

The mohito bar was quite nice and with decent prices, it seemed to be a very popular place to visit at monday evenings, for some reason.

There was some noise from the road outside, especially since the locals had a habit of honking their horns as they passed by. The other guests in the hotel was rather quiet during our visit, but otherwise there would probably also have been alot of noise comming from the staircase. However, we had no trouble falling asleep.

I don't realy know anything about the other rooms of the hotel. But I would recommend anyone staying here to book a sea view room if possible.

It's not a luxurious hotel by any means, but it's not a "cell block 'H'" or "lifetime disaster" at all! It's definitely priceworthy and affordable, and with over 60 rooms and all the guests they have, they would get an awful amount of complaints each and every day if it was as bad as mentioned in the other reviews here. I didn't see or hear anyone complaining during our stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Henrik_SE
There are newer reviews for Europa Hotel

Reviewed 5 May 2009

I had booked a double room with a balcony and a sea view. What I got was a the type of place you'd expect to see if you were doing a drug deal in the red light district of Bangkok.
The place is a hole! The best thing about it was the receptionist, Clint, who offered me a studio apartment in an adjacent building when I complained. His immediate compliance suggests he is used to doing this on a regular basis. Thanks, Clint.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2009

The staff were wonderful and forthcoming. We had the 2nd floor oceanview with balcony. the room was very clean however the bed could be a serta but it sufficed. We spent 8 days there and I will return to it next year at the same time.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachbumpuertorico
Reviewed 31 January 2009

The rooms were shabby and poorly maintained. It took several requests to get a TV that worked. The bathroom/towel maintenance was frightful. The lift was small and if you were lucky it stopped at your floor. The breakfasts were adequate but boring. The main staircase had been built with the handrail missing for the last 10 or so steps - the missing rail was over a sheer drop to the floor below. Half way through our honeymoon I broke my foot on a section of unfinished floor (whilst at the hospital the staff put fresh cement on this piece of floor to cover the gap). The staff did their best and were, without exception friendly and helpful, however, our honeymoon was ruined. I spent one week in a wheelchair that would not go through the door of the lift. It was a complete disaster. The management refused to accept responsibility and my holiday insurance tried, but could not penetrate the management's refusal to admit liability. This is a two star hotel in an extremely good position on Sliema sea front. What a shame that our honeymoon was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2009

Two good points: the hotel is dirt cheap, and it has a lovely view of the ocean from the front rooms.

Everything else was pretty much awful. On arrival, the hotel had overbooked and tried to force my friend to stay in a different hotel on the far opposite end of the waterfront. The overbooking problem was observed repeatedly throughout the stay. The linens were old - could actually see through the sheets, they were so thin - and were only changed when I asked at the front desk. The mattress was solid and lumpy, the pillows thin and limp. The walk-in shower was spacious, but didn't drain well so the floor got wet. It was so grotty I had to wear my Chacos while taking a shower. No way were my feet going to touch that nastiness! It was relatively quiet at night, until the ground floor bar re-opened for business. People were hanging out on the patio, talking loudly to be heard over the very loud music (the furniture in my room was literally vibrating from the loud music) and smoking until the wee hours of the morning. Their smoke and voices wafted in through the window, which was open to keep the room from turning into an oven, and made for a near sleepless night. The breakfast was pathetic, consisting of bags of cheap white or wheat sliced bread, bulk cereal (rice crispies), harsh tea, and limited quantities of juice from some unidentifiable fruit. As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.

I've only stayed in one hotel that was worse than the Europa (it was a low-budget chain hotel in Laredo, Texas, by the way). Take my advice: cough up a few extra Euros and stay in a different hotel. Your visit to Malta will be much, much, much more enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank SkirlGirl
Reviewed 13 January 2009

When me and my friend arrived we didn't expect much. We booked this hotel because of the price and the good location. This two things are the only thing worth to mention. The staff was not helpful when we went to them. One day there was heavy rain and we lived on the 5th floor which was the highest floor. The rain came in and the floor outside the rooms was all wet. We went to the reception and mentioned it and all we got was a long stare at us. We didn't get any reaction or information about however they were gonna fix the problem. They just looked at us like we were stupid. On day we came back to our room and my friend couldn't find a shirt she was looking for. She was certain that she had brought it. We didn't fuss more about it until I noticed that I was missing 2 of my panties!! Who else would've taken the clothes than the cleaning ladies?! They were the only ones in the room besides us. Really bad service! We will never visit Europa Hotel anymore!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank nadjaa
Reviewed 10 January 2009

The photos of the hotel and rooms on the internet give a very misleading impression, a bit of careful camera positioning deceives the eye!

The hotel looked scruffy from the outside and inside is not much better although they are trying to make an effort, well, in the reception anyway, shame about the bedrooms. The bedroom, well, where do we begin! First of all, the bed is incredibly uncomfortable, the mattress being the cheapest around and as soon as you sit on it the springs go down to the hard base. The bed linen was clean but when you removed the pillow case, the once white pillow was brown and very dirty, soiled withy, well, you can just imagine! The bed spread was not much better. Just 2 hangers in the tiny wardrobe, no phone, TV has local channels only, we expect that though, and because there were no rugs, every sound echoed around the room. You could hear every one in the adjoining rooms too. Probably our fault for going in winter, but the rooms were freezing and although there was central heating, the receptionist told us the heating did not work and there were no portable heaters available. All you get is a towel and a tiny bar of soap. The rooms were clean but on two nights running we had to kill cockroaches. The bathroom is so tiny that when you sit on the loo you bang your head on the wall opposite. The curtain, if you could call it that, was a dark grey sheet covering the window which opened to a beautiful view of the soil stacks.

One other reviewer describes the rooms like a prison cell, that's spot on! Also, another said the hotel smelt of diesel, that’s also correct and it was disgusting. Breakfast is very, very basic! There is a kind ob bar attached, sits about 8 people at a push.

We moved out after four days, decided to count or losses.

If you don't mind slumming it, this hotel is fine. If you would like the most basic of facilities to make for a comfortable nights sleep than look somewhere else, DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple