Bayview Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Location is excellent! Four of us stayed in 2 bedroom apartment overlooking the harbour in Sliema. One wall consisted entirely of glass with sliding glass door leading onto spacious balcony. The view was spectacular (even through the grubby glass windows!). Apartment is only minutes away from ferry and bus stop is right across the road. Big apartment and very quiet at night. Plenty of bars/restaurants in the area to choose from. On the other hand, as well as the dirty glass windows leading onto the balcony, there was mould around both showers. Our biggest issue was theft of a wallet containing €300+ from our apartment while we were actually in the apartment. We know which cleaner was in the apartment at the time and Management know from the key lock which cleaner used her key at the time. Yet their attitude was for us to 'report the matter to the police so that we can claim back our loss from our travel insurance'. Basically they didn't want to know!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Pisces1203
Write a ReviewReviews (1,591)

Reviewed 3 November 2012

We arrived late having booked a 2 bedroom apartment which we were told was a short walk from the hotel. Member of staff took walked us and our heavy bags 3 streets back from the hotel. Went to first building and told its the wrong one and he's not sure which building it is as they have 15 buildings! So we walk back to the hotel and a man with a car is called to take us to the apartment who drives us to the apartment - we + bags dropped outside a building and told this is the one - man in car drives off - we find it is not the right building! By this time its 10.30 at night - one of us stops on the sidewalk in dark back street whilst other finds way back to the hotel - same man in car drives back from hotel and guides is to a building on the other side of the street! We had no name of the building, no address, no map - did the hotel staff care - not a bit!
The apartment was big and appeared to have been recently renovated. Bathrooms both clean, bed linen and towels clean (but cheap quality); kitchen - toast crumbs around work surfaces found on our arrival.
Went to turn on TV - no remote - phoned hotel to ask where it could be found - told it was obtainable from hotel reception for a deposit of €10! Looked for a hairdryer - phoned hotel reception - obtainable at reception for a €10 deposit - asked why we were not told this when we checked in - no response - it was now 11pm so I asked for the hairdryer to be brought to the apartment as I didn't feel upto trying to find my back to the hotel and returning to the apartment in the dark - they did bring the hairdryer and took the €10 but issued no receipt. The beds were comfortable - daren't look at the mattress - no covers! Good shower. Unable to open the curtains in the lounge as looked straight into the flat directly opposite where the old Maltese lady sat watching the world go by! The en suite bedroom had a little terrace where you could dry washing which was handy. Washing machine in one bathroom but no instructions - in fact no instructions or any relevant information found in thje flat.
Went to reception the following night for the TV remote - staff downright rude and surly to anyone who approached the desk absolutely no idea of customer service - guests are an inconvienance to the staff. The male behind the desk sat chewing gum, lounging back in his chair rolling his eyes as another guests was telling him how awful their hotel room was breaching every Health & Safety reg in the book - how the guest kept his cool and didn't deck him one I don't know as the reception person blatantly did not give a dam. We had the same careless response and the remote banged down on the counter - that is after they had rummaged in a box to find one.
Speaking to others staying in the apartments we were lucky that the one we had was clean and liveable in - others reported bad experiences - so it seems to be the luck of the draw where you get put. Don't take the chance - there are many other much nicer places to stay with friendly welcoming owners.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank cjh010
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I stayed at The Bayview from the 16th-25th October after searching through reviews for hotels in Malta. I travel independently at least twice a year and this is the first time I have done a European holiday in years. Three hours from London...no jet lag etc. I had booked a studio appartment for 1-3 people with a balcony. The Bayview Appartments were two blocks away. The room was compact and would have slept two people in the two single beds at most - there wasn't room for a third single bed. The balcony was internal facing to the facing corridor and was just about big enought to hold a chair and obviously one person. Bed sheets just about covered the mattress/bed. Although I had booked B&B - I didn't go down for breakfast aprt from twice because of the walk to the hotel. On my departure morning at 4am - there was thunder and lightening - the rain was running down the outside street - no way was I going to reception to check out! The staff then phoned the taxi driver to say that I owed 2 Euro for a drink at the bar durig the previous evening. I never used the bar - I didn't need to - I brought my own wine into the studio - as glasses, cork screw etc., were all provided in the bedroom/kitchenette.
One morning I asked about moving into the main hotel and was told that there was plenty of rooms and to come to reception the next morning with my packed bags. I was happy enough to pay the extra but the next day - I was told that there was no rooms and that they had extra bookings from their head office! So there did appear to be confusion amongst the staff. As an independent traveller, good hotels in my experience, make an effort to get to know solo travellers. In this case, it would appear to be a case of putting them into the smallest room and ignore. Noise was also a problem with guests not closing their room doors quietly during the hours of darkness - this part of the hotel was not the best for sleeping and don't expect a lie-in: cleaning started everty morning between 8-8.30am with beds being dragged over tiled floors.
Also, the pools on the roof top are small and the space is restricted with probably too many sun loungers for the space available.
I want to be be balanced and objective in relation to my experience. On the positive side
- The hotel has a good location overlooking the harbour.
- Bus stop outside.
- Good eating houses nearby.
- Clean.
- Within walking distance of the bus/harbour tours and the Sliema/Valetta ferry.
I would not be say not to stay here but be very clear about what you want/expect.If you want a seaview room - book it. For everything else, be prepared for some inconvenience.

Room Tip: Be clear about what you want and expect
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Capt007Pugwash
Reviewed 25 October 2012

The Bayview hotel was very nice. All the staff are friendly and helpful. The only bad thing was the noise from other guests coming in early hours of the morning ie 1-2am, wearing heals, as all the floors are marble/stone tiles. Would recommend upgraging to the seaview rooms as our room had a balcony over looking the central courtyard (a fountain and a couple of trees) and other balconys were only about 15 ft away.
This holiday was our honeymoon, so probably should have spent a little more for a higher star hotel - just for that touch of luxury to make it a little more special.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We travelled as a couple and stayed at Bayview Apartments for a week. We have previously stayed at Bayview apartments a few years ago. We stayed in a studio apartment a few minutes walk away from the main hotel. The studio was clean and was exactly what we needed out of our accommodation, we just wanted somewhere basic and clean as we didn't spend much time in the studio. Unfortunately the only view we had from our balcony was a building site, the workmen working on the site were very noisy and building work was going on 6 days a week from 7.30 in the morning til after 6pm at night so it wasn't very relaxing. The bathroom was a suitable size but the shower cubicle was tiny and the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor. Throughout our stay the maid service was not great, she didn't do any cleaning just renewed the towels and remade the beds with dirty sheets that we had already slept on. The pillows were uncomfortable and lumpy.

The pool area is nice. There is a bar and a small pool. We didn't have any problems getting a sun lounger and the view from the sunbathing deck is lovely. There is a quieter sunbathing deck on the 6th floor which was very peaceful and not busy.

The staff at reception I found quite rude, check in took forever as the staff tried to check in lots of people all at once instead of dealing with people individually. I found that some staff had bad attitudes and did not have basic manners. Checking out also took forever and again the staff were unhelpful and rude.

I wouldn't stay here again as I think if we returned to Malta we would try somewhere different.

The hotel is in a good location, there is a bus stop outside that takes you to st Julian's and Valletta and there are numerous bars and restaurants in Sliema and the location is generally good.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank millycat1
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The only aspect of our stay in this hotel that allows me to give it any rating at all is its location. Beautiful view across the bay from rooms with sea view; bus stop right outside door and many restaurants in close proximity.

To summarise the rest:

Room was small as was the bathroom in which the door of the shower opens less than half way as it is wedged up against hand basin.

Supposed to be a double room, but in reality is a twin with two single beds dressed individually and pushed close together. Room service seemed to consist solely of dressing these beds as shower, hand basin and bathroom glasses were never cleaned. Glasses which we had brought from the bar to have a drink on the balcony were just allowed to accumulate over the week of our stay. There was a safe in the room but there was a deposit of €25 for this of which €10 was refundable on departure, first time I have ever come across this. No remote for the tv or no hair dryers, but I understand from other reviewers that there is also a deposit for these.(also firsts in my experience of hotels)

Breakfast was below basic, despite the fact that there appeared to be a large number of staff. The function of two of these staff members seemed to be to patrol the dining room in almost military fashion on the look out for any empty plate or cup on any table irrespective of whether the guests were finished eating or not. If a plate was left on the table while you went for another cup of coffee, chances were it and its contents would be gone on return. We felt one of us had to stay at the table at all times to "guard" what ever of our breakfast remained. The food itself was poor with very little choice. Now there was a choice of different types of cold meat, but unfortunately not on the same day. That is to say you could have ham on Monday but not salami and perhaps visa versa on Tuesday; the same choice pertained to bacon and sausage
Breakfast finishes at 10.00 and if you find yourself in the dining room much later than this, there is a danger that you will find yourself in another "military" operation of stacking chairs on tables.

Reception staff seem to enjoy their work with the only downside from their point of view being appearing to be the guests. There is a small bar at the side of the reception desk with a sign reading "Bar open 23.00 to 08.00", presumably because the main bar closes at 23.00. We returned at about eleven thirty one night and wanted a bottle of water to take to our room. When we asked the man at the desk for this his non-verbal reaction was such as to suggest that we could not be serious. He sullenly placed the bottle of water on the counter and walked away. When I asked how much it was he said "one euro", which when offered he took again without any verbal acknowledgement.
That the attitude of the staff at the front desk is, for the most part consistent, was conclusively demonstrated when we were checking out. I gave my room number as 401 and said we were checking out. He looked to his computer screen and said "OK". I gave him the key to the safety deposit box which we had rented and, without looking up or saying a word, he placed the ten euro refundable deposit on the counter. I stood there wondering if that was it, then I said good bye, to which there was again no response. He was probably thinking that we were just another couple of annoying guests gotten rid of. In that, he can be assured that he has been successful. He and the Bayview Hotel has got rid of us permanently

2  Thank 5John5
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Good position on sea front, but bear in mind this does mean a busy main road. Bus stop to Valletta is right outside the door and it is a short walk to the ferries and boat trip departure point.. There are a range of eating options within walking distance. Breakfast at the hotel was good, with a range of cooked options (these are never really appealing when mass produced - but what can you do?) I preferred to stick to the lovely fresh croissants.
The roof top pool has fabulous views, but it is very small - don't expect more than a dip, but very rehreshing when you return from a day's sightseeing. Staff are very knowledgable and helpful. Our standard sea view room was on the small side but well equiped with kettle and toaster and safe. Air conditioning not restricted to a time setting and was very welcome, even in October. Only one bad point really -the pillows were really lumpy and uncomfortable!

Room Tip: A sea view room is worth the extra - we were on the 6th floor and had super views.