“friendly hotel and very clean in a great location”

Bayview Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
France
“friendly hotel and very clean in a great location”
Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at the Bayview Hotel for a week. The staff were so friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the food and there was plenty of it. There was a good selection of wines and very reasonably priced. We particularly enjoyed the local rose wine. Inside the hotel is the Oblico cafe where the cakes are amazing and they also do wonderful pasta dishes. The hotel and rooms were spotlessly clean with fresh towels every day. It was in an ideal location for exploring the Island and a variety of bars and restaurants were within walking distance. Our favourite local bar was Tex Mex the staff and ambience of the bar lovely and they have great live music and the food is good. A harbour cruise is a must and very informative. The shopping in Silent is excellent and is also within easy walking distance. It was an amazing holiday and it was perfect from start to finish. We would highly recommend the Bayview Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank FranceDonna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Front desk staff were all helpful, especially David. Breakfast was a good English breakfast buffet style. Juices were watery, otherwise everything was well cooked and restaurant was clean and staff polite.

My room was adequate, though the cleaning staff needs more oversight, or perhaps more time per room to do a better job in the bathroom. Towels could use some bleach occasionally so they don't look so dull and dingy. Bed cover definitely needed cleaning. It had a sweaty smell on both beds.

2 Thank B P
Reviewed 18 November 2012

You get what is advertised when staying at the Bayview Hotel. It is a Southern European 3-star hotel. If you are going to stay at the Bayview, just expect it to be somewhere to lay your head and enjoy your days out exploring the town and the restaurants. It is absolutely nothing special, but it seems safe and somewhere simple.

If you are going to stay at the Bayview, just use it as a place to sleep and spend your days out on the town. If you are going to try and enjoy staying at the hotel in the days, find a different place to stay.

If I could advise the management on a couple of things.

1. Invest in the shower heads. There is a great water pressure for the bath, so upgraded shower heads would allow more water through - currently it is more of a mist that comes from them.
2. Upgrade the mattresses; there is no need to have mattresses where the springs can be felt.
3. Make WiFi free. It will really upgrade the general feeling of the hotel.
4. Rethink the breakfast buffet; it is a little too basic for something you ask guests to pay for. Maltese food is far better than this.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Jeffrey C
Reviewed 17 November 2012

If you would like to be intimatated by your accommodation and its owners then I suggest you take a trip to bayview hotel, originally four of us (three friends and myself) booked our accommodation through booking.com and one of my friends booked it on her credit card, payment for same was debited on my friends next credit card statement, about a month before we departed. Due to unforeseen circumstances and work commitments, two of the party could not travell, one of these being the credit card holder. The credit card holder contacted bayview to make them aware of the change before we arrived. When we checked in, all appeared to be fine. We booked a two bedroom apartment, which was about a five minute walk from the main building. Everything was fine until the second week, two days before we were due to depart. Then the nightmare began!!! And we were summoned to reception. From there we were told that we had to present ourselves to administration. We were then informed that the apartment which we knew had been billed and paid for in advance, we were now told it wasn't, and as the credit card holder had not travelled we would have to pay for the apartment in cash. Over the next 24 hours, numerous phone calls were made home to our friend in Ireland. I would like to point out here that the staff at the bayview were very uncooperative both to ourselves and our friend in Ireland. There requests were unreasonable, requesting copies of my friends passport and credit card to be e-mailed to them even though the credit card provider had confirmed the accommodation had been paid for. In the end they demanded that these copies be sent or we would have to pay the full amount in cash. At this point my friend refused to send them on advise from local police and credit card provider. The person who was dealing with it was rude, arrogant and very demanding and in no way helpful. The next day we were out of our apartment for a number of hours, and when we returned we found our key card would not work, we contacted reception and they told us that orders from administration that we were not allowed back into our apartment until the entire amount was paid. At this stage we asked to speak to a manager, we sat in the lobby of the hotel for an hour waiting for this guy. Eventually he came down to us and ordered us to his and his brothers office. What followed resembled a scene from a mafia movie!!!! Where the other brother sat behind a desk chewing gum, proceeded to intimidate us by opening the conversation demanding to know "where is my money!" To which we informed him that it had been paid already. And he replied with "no it is not, you just don't want to pay!" When we told him we were advised to go to the police his brother then got very defensive and insisted he rang our friend once again. We agreed. Again he looked for my friends passport and credit card details, she refused. He then told my friend that her passport was not needed but card details would do, again my friend refused. In the end they settled for first and last digits from her credit card them simply told us it was paid for! There was no apology even though I requested they sent an e-mail to my friend apologizing it wasn't done. At no point prior to the start of all of this, when my friend contacted them informing them she would not be travelling did they tell my friend that they needed a copy of passport or credit card. To say that all of this spoiled our holiday would be an understatement!!!! And it is safe to say that I will neither recommend nor return to bayview again. It is people and business's like this, that can give a holiday destination a bad reputation, however I will not let this affect any future trips to Malta.

• Stayed November 2012
8 Thank Bm20

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

bradford
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I thought I ought to pass on our experiences, having read some of the latest reviews prior to travelling we were very nervous upon arrival.
Overall I would say travel lodge uk standard

Our room was 403 on the forth floor, no seaview, it was clean, modern bathroom, 3 single beds (didnt find them that comfortable) I had no problem dealing with any of the staff, i found them courtious,
location is great, the maltese bus service is fab, you can ride anywhere all day for 2.5 euros, and the buses stop right outside
In the restaurant, its like a self service type you would get in say a college or supermarket, we dont eat cooked breakfast, but there was always cereals, toast, yoghurt, beans, eggs, so no complaints from us, on the evening meal, every night there was salad, cooked meat, fish, veg, rice, pasta, you could have a bottle of house white or red for 5 euros, we never found the food cold, thought it was a little strange to only open restaurant, 6.30 till 8.00pm, maybe this is for winter ?
Overall.
Dont think we'll come back to malta, found it very crowded and busy traffic, it has certainly changed for the worse in the last 20 years, I wouldnt reccomend this place for families with young children, as there isnt much for children to do, and no beaches, but overall its a typical 3 star hotel

Room Tip: try and get a free upgrade to seaview
1 Thank bob a
Preston
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Read other reviews with interest - you only get what you pay for - we had a 3 star hotel with at best an average breakfast. Room was tired but spacious - no cockroaches or other insects - ( had kitchen facilities). Cleaned daily but this was limited to making the bed and drawing the curtains!. Lounge area and associated bar and cafe area were good. Staff always friendly - no problems with checking in or out. Booked through Thompsons, should have opted for adjacent Waterfront hotel
Excellent location for transport and eating

2 Thank PrestonEric
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I visited Malta last October to attend a conference. My fiancé and I decided to spend the three days before (from Friday to Monday) as holiday, and I booked at Bayview, which asked me to prepay for my stay (7 nights!!). During October, the price was not low (I paid 75 euros per night). During reservation I emphasized on having a clean room with WiFi. The hotel replied "We have taken a note for the below requests but we cannot guarantee it although we will still do our best to accommodate the clients to their wishes."
We checked in. The status of the room was average. At 03:00 am I noticed a cockroach in the room, which we killed. We went to the receptionists, who was drinking with his friends (!!?) and asked to leave the hotel. He said that there was a big flood in the island and there are cockroaches everywhere in the island. He even mentioned tiger mosquitoes! We answered that cockroaches is not a matter of high temperature but lack of hygiene. He seemed not to understand. He suggested staying since it was late and discuss next morning with the manager. He proposed to send to the room an employee to take care the taps in the bath, in order to prevent cockroaches entering from the siphon. An employee came and he put a glass (!!) upside down on the top of the hole! Although hard, we spent the night there. Next day the manager was not even informed about this event! Initially she declined that this was possible, but we replied that she could come to the room to see the cockroach by herself. Then she commented that "insects can fly everywhere"! The hotel declined to give us the money for the remaining nights, although there was no provision for cockroaches in cancellation policy and we were insisting on leaving the hotel. They offered another room which was not ready yet. They proposed to have breakfast until the room was ready. In the breakfast room, the situation was fully unacceptable: Eggs and resting food was everywhere and we couldn't even separate the clean glasses from the used ones! After 30 min, we entered the second room which was in the middle of cleaning process. The cleaning lady who accompanied us until there asked why we changed and we explained. We got the answer: "This is very common! I have cockroaches in my house". We were really astonished by her attitude! We reluctantly accepted the room. In the evening when we entered the room, we found that the toilet was used! and no effort to have a cleaner room was made. We spent 2 hours in the room discussing what we should do. We decided to leave the hotel. During that evening, I even got allergies by having red spots on my skin, which I showed to the receptionist. I said that the hotel was unacceptable and that I was fully disappointed! I asked for internet access (which I even paid!) in order to search for another hotel. No possibility to talk to the manager was given. We asked if this was possible on next day which was Sunday but the receptionist answered that he did not know if the manager would be there and when.
We have already contacted Tourist Authorities and consumers office.
Besides the fact of the cockroach, I am deeply disappointed by the lack of professionalism of Hotel Bayview staff. We exchanged 2 e-mails were Hotel manager denied any responsibility from the hotel side and of course any option for money compensation.
Me and my fiancé both carry out more than 10 trips per year. This was the first time that we come into this situation; both regarding complaining for hygiene issues as well as for facing this attitude from “professionals”.

Room Tip: Fully unacceptable attitude by the staff! Very dirty rooms! (cockroaches in the room) Unacceptable...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business