“Bayview hotel gzira Malta”

Bayview Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Excellent hotel ,we stayed B and B ,clean hotel friendly staff .
Breakfast was good ,plenty to set you up for the day .
Local amenities are good ,excellent bus services to get around ,lots of places to eat ,spoilt for choice really.
Would stay at the bayview again ,we only stayed for the week but planning a longer stay for next year .
Give it a go !!
The Maltese people are very welcoming ,and they speak excellent English ,which is a bonus .

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view with balcony,the view is fab ,we were on the third floor so you can hear the traf...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lorraine D

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Arriving later in the evening, we found that our requests hadn't been met. The younger (and new?) staffmember tried to assist with check-in and we paid for our safe (EUR40 incl. 10 refundable key deposit), TV remote (EUR10 refundable deposit) which we didn't use, and Aircon remote (FOC), , but the older gentleman couldn't have been less interested; his standard response being, 'Speak to reception tomorrow', and it definitely felt as if he was trying to get rid of us as soon as possible. Over the following 2 weeks, I heard this response many times - so yes, it is best to speak to reception in the morning. I don't know if this is because the night staff don't have the authority, the training, the occupancy lists, nor the will.

Our 'inland view' room was certainly adequate and clean, but being lower down, it looked into the homes across the narrow street. Having stayed there before, our request was for a high room. The 'sea view' rooms do have a spectacular view, but are above the very busy main road, and our preference was for peace and quiet. The wonderful view can happily be enjoyed from the rooftop pool area.

Three days later (hotel was busy), we were assisted by a very helpful Dragana (thank you!) on reception, and were able to move to a lovely room, where we happily spent the rest of our fortnight.

The included continental breakfast was adequate, and there was certainly enough to choose from every day - but the staff were delightful; very friendly and chatty as they ensured that tables were cleaned and cleared for the huge turnover of diners.

However, it is the location which is the highlight of this hotel. On the Sliema promenade, overlooking the waterfront with Valetta across the Bay. An easy walk along the promenade to Sliema centre, ferry, shops and restaurants. The bus stops are right outside of the hotel, and it's so easy to get around the island at the bargain price of a weekly ticket for EUR12 (purchase onboard or at the kiosk near the Ferry) - now operated by Arriva, meaning that the wonderful old orange buses have been relagated to being a tourist attraction.

We thoroughly enjoyed Tre Angeli and Ta' Kris restaurants for the local dishes, Cafe Giorgio for coffee, cake and people-watching, and the handy inhouse Oblico cafe.

Places to visit: can highly recommend (in no particular order) Valetta (enjoy the atmosphere and people watch at any of the restaurants in Piazza Regina; Caffe Cordina being the most famous), Mdina (cake at the Fontanella Tearooms), Mosta, Marsaxlokk Harbour (numerous fish restaurants); Tarxien, Hagar Qim and Mnajdra Temples, a Harbour Cruise (and it doesn't have to be expensive - we enjoyed Latini, operating small wooden boats).

We weren't particularly impressed by Malta Sightseeing Hop on/off Bus, as they missed out an important stop, one of the drivers had his uncontrollable kids with him, and as the day wore on, they were arrving up to 20mins late, meaning that there was a mad scramble for seats as the crowd of waiting passengers grew larger. Next time we'll use the public buses; we prefer to be independent anyway.

Yes, there will be a next time as Malta is a fantastic island - and we will only ever stay at the Bayview!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank lovetotravel2010UK
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We have just returned from the Bayview apartments in Sliema. The walk to the "annex" is on a very slight incline but is what I would consider to be very close to the hotel. The apartment was small, but was very clean and totally adequate for our needs. We had a flat screen TV which picked up an english speaking channel which showed back to back, decent films and although the picture quality wasn't perfect, it was watchable. The staff on reception at the main hotel were always very curteous and helpful. Although self catering, we ate dinner in the hotel dining room three times, because at a cost of 10 euros each for a three course meal, we found it to be the best value around. There was not much choice to be fair, but what was avaliable was cooked well and was hot and tasty (dessert wasn't great, a choice of cake and 4 different ice creams typically, but then I don't have a sweet tooth, so I didn't really mind too much). Loved the indoor plunge pool and spa pool as we were the only ones using it and it was always nice and warm (nice contrast to the weather which was decidely cool). All in all got much more than we expected for the money we paid and I would recommend it if you are on a strict budget as we were!. Thanks Bayview!!!!!

8  Thank 150Carol
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Very good value for money, clean and with excellent staff. The location on the strand is excellent with good access for buses immediately outside the hotel entrance. We were self catering so unable to comment on the food.

Room Tip: Rooms with a seaview are preferable to others which can be dingy and overlook walls and small courty...
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

First impressions made me cry! Room was shabby, smelled strongly of smoke. The waredrobe wouldn't open and the tiling in the bathroom was gross. The room looked straight onto a dark and miserable side street.
We asked for a better room and paid a supplement to have a sea view. Great, a bit noisy but only to be expected due to its location on the main road by the sea front. Cleaner, and things worked as they should.
The breakfast was good for the price we paid although the evening meal was always poor. Over cooked, tasteless and lacked imagination and variety. Even at a budget price that we paid they could easily make improvements to the food.
On a plus side, location excellent with bus stop right outside the door. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The coffee bar sells amazing home made cakes and ice cream.
Overall a good holiday, just don't expect too much from the food- budget price, budget food!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Garlickgal
Reviewed 14 January 2013

This is a small hotel, with amazingly good "value for the money"!
Excellent service, nice and helpful staff.
They have rooms at different prices, mostly depending on the view - sea view or not.
Central location, and good communications (bus stop right outside the hotel).
Nice and clean, including bathroom.
I can highly recommend it - I have stayed there multiple times.

Room Tip: Extremly good prices, especially in low season.
1  Thank Lasse A
Reviewed 13 January 2013

For this review, I have selected May 2012 for my visit date as this was my most recent visit, though I have been to this hotel total of three times and as such I basing this review on my overall experience with this hotel.

My first two visits were in May and December 2009 while my most recent was in May 2012. My reason for picking this hotel on my first visit to Malta was down to a combination of price, location and some favourable reviews both on this site and another similar website. I never planned on spending much time in the hotel as I wanted to explore the country that was my holiday destination outside of the UK so I wanted a basic hotel that was clean and located within reach of Valletta and where there was some shops and places to eat without breaking the bank.

On my first and third visits to the Bayview Hotel, I stayed in a self-catering appartment in the annex building a few hundred yards behind the main hotel building. For the second visit I stayed in a regular hotel room in the main building.

The room I had in the main building was fine, with no significant issues, while the rooms I had in the annex building were mostly fine, with only a couple of minor issues - a door handle fell off (I was able to reattach it though), a cupboard door looked as though it would fall off (though it somehow managed to stay on for the week while I was there) and a final issue was the the hotel room floors in the annex building could have been cleaner. Despite the minor problems, the beds were clean and I had no problems sleeping on them.

I had breakfast at the hotel on my second trip and found it to be rather average though for the price of the hotel and its star rating, I had no real complaints.

All the staff at the hotel that I had any contact with were all very friendly and helpful. The guy who took my suitcase round to the annex building on arrival on my first visit even recognised me on my second visit and stopped to say hello and ask how I was, which was nice.

One of the best reasons to stay at this hotel is the location. There are numerous cafes, bars and restaurants both up and down the road from the hotel. Up the road towards Sliema are quite a few shops and even a shopping mall which I only discovered on my third visit to the country. While Valletta is the best place to get buses, quite a few pass through on their way to Sliema, St Julians and Bugibba and the north of the island. While buses are great and all, if you want to go to Valletta, use the ferry, its a more pleasant way to get there as its less crowded and you get a nice view of Fort Manoel and Valletta as you approach.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex building are cheaper and quieter as there are less people about, but it can be aw...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo