“Delightful Apartment Along The Bay!”

Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Vienna, Austria
“Delightful Apartment Along The Bay!”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I was desperate to find a 2 bedroom apartment for our one week trip to Malta during the school's February winter break so I opted to book with Bayview Hotel & Apartments despite the mixed reviews I've read. However, I asked a friend who lives there to check out the place for us and it happens that her husband knows the owner and she says that it is a fine place to stay. Surprisingly, I was impressed with the standard of the apartment that they assigned us which is a seafront property vis-avis the esplanade that is located at an annex building a few meters from the main hotel. We had a spectacular panoramic view of the bay of Sliema from our private balcony. The brand new modern apartment itself is huge and very nicely furnished and well equipped with 2 separate toilets and baths. Although the main hotel has just a 3 star category, these luxury apartments deserve at least 4.5 stars! Malta which is a favorite holiday destination of ours maybe small but it surely is an awarding experience to visit for everyone. It is extremely rich in history that every corner, every stone plays significant part for mankind, an outright open air museum that is simply irresistable!

Room Tip: Unless you are on a string budget, it is best to book one of their deluxe apartments which are seafr...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
BayviewHotelMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Bayview Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent review. We are glad that you did choose the Bayview but we are even more glad that the sea view apartment made a great impression on you.

Thank you for doing and research before making your decision. As you might noticed, the Bayview offers a wide range of accommodation from more than budget friendly studio apartments to the freshly finished sea view apartments (which you have been stayin in) and we are aiming to provide the best value in all categories.

Your satisfaction is our pleasure, we hope to welcome you next time!
Bayview Hotel & Apartments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Five of us have just returned from a week's stay at the Bayview Hotel . We had 3 rooms, all with balconies, but no sea views but this was what we expected. There is a spectacular view from the top of the hotel ( floor7).
We all thought we had good value for the money we paid. The rooms were cleaned well daily with a regular supply of fresh clean towels. I noticed the bed mattresses were orthopaedic, fairly comfortable but was surprised to find there were no mattress protectors. ( no stains though).
We had booked with Malta direct after visiting a local travel show.Our friends who booked the trip managed to barter with the company who provided 2 complimentary hop on/hop off sightseeing trips together with a free attraction voucher. These proved to be excellent, enabling us to see many of the visitor attractions over the week's stay. We made a mistake by booking an additional trip to Gozo with the Malta direct rep, but could have probably got a better deal had we shopped around , we should have checked out the competition first.
Throughout our stay the hotel was quite busy but we didn't suffer from lack of service. We found the reception staff helpful, and the dining room staff ( mainly youngsters) are to be congratulated on their efficiency and friendliness towards visitors.
My husband and I took advantage of wifi ( 20 euros) for the week and didn't have any problems.
Breakfast - excellent choice from the self service bar. No-one need leave for the day feeling hungry, cold meats, cheese, croissants, 4 hot choices, yoghurt, toast available each morning.
Dinner ( we were on half board basis) again good choices, lovely home made soups, salad bar and again at least 4 hot choices, perhaps the weakest element were the hot vegetables , a bit overcooked.
Bayview is ideally situated, nice clean mini market next door ( cheapest water), delicious hot pasties available 10 yards from the hotel. The bus stops right by the door and bus travel is so cheap, A short walk along the seafront brings you to the ferry for a cheap crossing to Valetta.
I was impressed to find very little litter on the streets.
We managed to cram an awful lot into a week's stay and still have some time left over for relaxation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MarilynR106
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review and recommendation. It was our pleasure to read about your experiences and pleasant stay in the Bayview Hotel & Apartments.

Both the staff and management are trying their best to provide the best possible value for reasonable rates, so thank you for your generous compliments regarding the reception staff and breakfast. Notes have been taken regarding the areas where improvements can be made.

Kindly take our advice and next time ask for trips and excursions at the information desk of the Hotel – we are offering the best possible rates for all.

While we are glad that you have been enjoying your stay, we hope to welcome you again in the not too far future!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We recently stayed in the new apartments and they were fantastic.Staff were very helpful and friendly the apartments were spotless with all you needed for self-catering.Free WI-FI good access to local transport -every 10 mins.

Room Tip: Ask for new apartments with balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are utmost happy to read your lines, your satisfaction is our pleasure.

Indeed, the Bayview is enjoying an excellent location regarding transport, all towns and places of interests are easily accessible with the inexpensive public transport.

We hope to welcome you in the future!

France
Reviewed 23 March 2014

A genuine 3 star hotel and such a complex and rambling place with several annexes in various states of disrepair. That said I do like its unpretentiousness and the staff are efficient and very pleasant; it is situated close to Sliema at the seedier end (it is in fact in Gzira) and wonderful for transport and shops — the bus stops immediately outside the entrance. In fact this seafront is very close to Manoel Island and Taxbiex, and the area is clearly on the way up. We spent a few days in a rather average hotel room. The beds were fairly comfortable and we enjoyed a wonderful view. Storage space was limited and breakfast fairly basic but at 5€ one cannot complain. We often chose to dine in the self-service restaurant; a very informal affair and very popular — deservedly so as the food is varied and very good value at 10€. Local wine is cheap from the bar and you can also bring your own bottle! Water is hot, showers work most of the time; the internet connexion in the apartments curiously seems unavailable from about 10-11 a.m., mostly quite efficient and reasonably fast. the operation is run on a shoestring budget, everything is rather rundown but somehow works. Sleep quality is good with comfortable mattresses (without protectors) and good insulation between the apartments. Unlimited electricity is included.

We booked through malta-holiday.com who were cagey about the address. Bayview looked after us rather well, it has to be admitted, and I never heard from the booking agent again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed and kind review here on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you found your stay at the Bayview overall enjoyable and satisfying, especially thank you for mentioning the value for money offered by the Hotel.

We are also glad to read that you enjoyed dining at the self service restaurant and the food there and also the breakfast was up to your expectations.

As you might noticed, the Bayview is offering a wide range of accommodation to all budgets, from the lowest priced studio apartments to newly finished large sea view apartments. If you choose to stay with us during your next stay in Malta, do not hesitate to browse our other room types, the sea view apartments and junior suites will impress you for sure.

Thank you for your honest and detailed review. We hope to welcome you in the future!

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I'm staying with the Bayview hotel for all of march and am currently 2/3 of the way through my stay. I feel I've seen enough to review the place.

The hotel were kind enough to accept payment upon my arrival rather than taking a deposit/some of the cash beforehand. Since I flew in from the UK it saved me the hassle of incurring charges so this was appreciated.

I felt somewhat cheated regarding the hotel transfer. It was 20 euros when some companies at the hotel were offering transfers for as cheap as 5 euros. I was put on a very cramped minibus with a very rowdy bunch of Irish teenagers. I didn't feel safe as the driver blindly flew across four-way junctions and overtook other cars on very narrow, busy streets and often shouted quite aggressively at other drivers. I was never greeted at the airport, he merely signalled for me to follow him. Upon arrival at the hotel I discovered it was 20 euros for 1-4 people. 10 euros per person would have surely been more justifiable considering they were already receiving a large chunk of money off me. Never mind I thought, standard hotel charge.

Instead of being based in the main hotel building (I booked into the hotel ahead of others for access of the pool/gym) I was taken a few minutes away to a new building they'd been working on. The reception was very well decorated and everything was a 'new build'. My room is lovely, I get free Wifi and it's all self contained. However there's no pool (as stated there was), no gym, no restaurant, no nothing. The building is VERY slowly a work in progress. The walls are very thin; most of last night I was kept awake by a child crying throughout the night, something very stressful on a would-be work day (fortunately it's a public holiday!). There appears to be a lot of young people in the hotel who are here for your atypical 'lads holiday'. It can get very noisy and often remains so until early in the morning. The staff don't seem to care too much!

The area the hotel is based in is lovely with a minimarket and a few pubs a couple of minutes walk away. The waterfront is gorgeous to walk down in the morning and I really like the area. If you're after a relatively inexpensive option with no gleaming extras, this might suit you fine. Be aware that other colleagues of mine have said Bayview's other buildings are extremely low quality - showers are a tap on the wall, doors don't close properly, wireless is very poor and weak and the place generally needs a facelift. Be cautious as to which building you end up in!

Most worrying is that at 7am this morning the fire alarm was set off by some moron smoking in their room. I stumbled outside and 10m later an employee arrived who didn't really seem bothered that a building could potentially be on fire. 'Someone's probably smoking' he mumbled. Yes perhaps, but could you NOT take it a little more seriously on the off-chance this is a fire drill to see how you react, let alone an actual fire through cooking error or god knows what?

The 'gym' is hardly a gym. It's 5 machines. 1 is a weight machine which is broken and the other machines are some very old treadmills and a bicycle. Very disappointed. The swimming pool is only open 10am-6pm so that's weekends only for me, plus it's very small. More than 3 people in there and you'll be wanting to get out. The outside pool isn't open yet, even when it's 21 degrees outside!

Despite my generally negative opinion of the place (I wouldn't stay here again) I've had a cleaner every day come and clean the room whilst I've been at work, the reception desk is 24/7 (the actual reception staff are very enthusiastic and happy to help - it's more the 'men on the ground' that don't seem too bothered. A few of them are.. But there're more that aren't) and GENERALLY my stay hasn't been too painful. Lots of little niggles that have really lowered my opinion of the place, but hey - you may enjoy it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Derry H
Otley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed for a budget week's holiday in February 2014 with friends who had stayed here before and recommended that we go for a higher floor bay view room: we were in 509, they were in 502. The room made a difference to the experience - I've posted a photo of the layout and the room. Our room area was OK overall, but it was narrow making it a squeeze past the beds and the balcony was the smallest on the floor. Their room was probably similar area but squarer so felt more spacious and had a much larger balcony. I did ask if we could change but was told there were no alternatives available.
One consequence of the room layout was the bathroom had possibly the most awkward shower I have ever used - there is a photo. There was a mini bath with a fixed shower screen leaving a tight gap to get through. Once you had got in there was a step in the bath exactly where you would naturally want to stand so you'd have to be too close or too far away from the shower head. Very odd.
The staff were very friendly and cleanliness was good, but a lot of the fittings had seen better days (see pic of the bathroom door). Did not detract from the holiday but set the ambiance for the hotel - OK for the budget holiday that we were on. I did tell reception that water leaked from the sink but it was not rectified.
The breakfast was good in quantity with a choice of hot and cold dishes but again clearly at the budget end of the spectrum. The dining area was quite large and just managed to cope, though on the busiest day there was a bit of a scramble to get a table.
The location is good for exploring Malta with loads of buses stopping outside and the outlook from the room was very enjoyable. You are overlooking a very busy road and there was quite a bit of traffic noise, but it did not cause us any trouble.
Summary: OK for a budget break. I would be happy to stay here again but would probably choose to pay a bit more and stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Avoid an '08 or '09 room. Waterfront view is great but do be prepared for traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark B
BayviewHotelMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Bayview Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us in February. Notes have been taken regarding the points you have mentioned.

As you have highlighted multiple times within your review, the Bayview Hotel & Apartments is aiming to provide the best value for low rates. The hotel is offering a wide range of accommodation for all budgets, from standard inland rooms to large newly finished sea view apartments.

We would be pleased to welcome you again in one of the higher category accommodation next time.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 13 March 2014

On our last day Sunday 3rd March 2014 when we ordered a taxi to take us to the airport with a slight detour to attend church in msida creek. We paid for this service Euro 12 to church and Euro20 for the taxi to the airport. We were taken to church in the most cigaratte stenched bus. After Service, we waited for over 35 mins for the taxi . We called the reception who said that the taxi was on the way...we waited some more and no taxi. A good Samaritan offered to take us to the airport. HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED
Other issues..no Free WIFI, on two days we had to go to the reception and request for towels.

Room Tip: Sea view is great, but prepare for the traffic noise. Choose sea view rooms on the higher floors
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matongo B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We are extremely sorry to read about your inconvenience on your departure day. We are going to clarify it with the taxi company and make sure it will not happen again.

Free WIFI is available in Apartments. Being an eco-friendly hotel, the the housekeeping staff of the Bayview is only changing towels which are thrown on the floor – an international sign to change towels.

Despite of your inconveniences you have mentioned, we sincerely hope that your stay in Malta was a great experience and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Bayview Hotel & Apartments

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels