“Great views and spot on location”

115 The Strand Hotel and Suites
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Brighton,England
“Great views and spot on location”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We have just come back from spending a week (18-25 Oct) at this hotel. I booked via easyjet holidays and frankly after reading some of the reviews on here did not expect too much for the price we paid. We had requested a seaview room and we were put in one on the first night (we arrived late- 10.30pm) on the third floor. It was cold and very noisy and was on the same floor as the green neon sign on the hotel's facade. I told the night desk clerk that we had requested an upper floor and he told me to see reception in the morning as at that time there wasn't much he could do. Next morning after a disturbed night (traffic noise etc) I went down to reception and was offered not just another room but a choice of two. One on the 5th floor and one on the 6th floor. We took the one on the 6th floor- room 613 with a 'side' sea view. I preferred it as the view was better, looking along the strand and over to the capital Valleta. The room was much bigger also and had a sort of corridor which meant the room itself seemed much larger than the standard seaview rooms. We also has a fridge (although you have to pay to use it). Seemingly this is normal in Malta where you get a basic price for a room and then all the extras are added like fridge,room safe, tv control etc. We only paid for the fridge and did not use the other 'amenities'. I was impressed by the way the room change was handled. The breakfast on the top floor is in a large bright room with an impressive terrace with a view towards Valleta. It had all the usual continental breakfast offerings and the highlight was the coffee machine which was first rate. The staff were friendly and polite but the speed at which they replaced the food, cups and plates meant that many people ended up having to drink coffee from small glasses on occasion. Simply having more cups would be a simple way to avoid having to wash them up while breakfast is being served!!! One thing that needs to be mentioned is the behaviour of the kitchen hand who occasionally would come out to the breakfast room and change trays. He had the unpleasant habit of picking his nose when he thought people were not watching and on one occasion picked up both ham and cheese with his (dirty) hands. As you can imagine I stopped eating these after I had seen this happen twice. He needs to stay in the kitchen in his stained t-shirt and leave the changing of trays to the waiting staff. The room was changed daily (sheets and towels) and we were very happy with the housekeeping even if they need a mould remover for the bathroom. The lack of proper ventilation in some of the rooms is the main problem and in bathrooms an extractor fan is essential when two people are using the toilet!!!!!!! In the first room we were in there was no fan and it was most unpleasant. The front desk staff were always polite and very efficient even the man who works at night who incidentally was having a screaming match with some Italian teenagers when we arrived. He chucked them out of the hotel and we still don't know why that happened, but immediately afterwards dealt with us in a courteous and efficient manner if a little gruff.. All in all it was much better than I had read on this site but I think your experience very much depends on the room you end up in. My top tip is room 613 in the side extension it is not as noisy and has a better view than the standard rooms which actually look at Manoel island not Valletta which is behind the island. The location of the hotel is perfect as it is within walking distance of everything you would need for transport-buses ferries etc. I would recommend this hotel for a budget holiday even though it could do with a little updating- it was fine for a week's stay.

Room Tip: For the hotel-upper floors seaview rooms especially room 613
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Robsurmer
Bridget B, Director of Sales at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 19 December 2016
Thank you for your lovely review.

It is always our pleasure to provide our guests with the best service possible and I am glad to know that you experienced just that. I'm sure that the rest of our team will be delighted to read such a great review.

It would be a pleasure to host you once again in the near future at 115 the Strand Hotel & Suites as we have also renovated the property.

Bridget Bonavia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I went to Malta without expectations but assuming that an EU country in the middle of summer season (July 2008) would be at least good for the price we have paid via online booking. Then it came a very disappointing surprise. Very impolite front desk personnel, 3 star hotel where the third star is definitely not deserved, extremely untidy rooms, and low level of cleaning service throughout the entire stay in the hotel, mold in shower cabin and single air conditioning device from early 80's, loud and very inefficient considering the outside temperatures. Come on, invest 200 EUR per air-conditioning device and clean the rooms properly... this is the minimum you can do for your guests...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Marko-Caco
Thank you very much for taking your time to review your experiences.

We are very sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I will pass on all your comments to the prospective departments so that we can work out all the issues mentioned in your review.

We do hope that we are given another opportunity to proof a better service especially since we have recently renovated our hotel.

Bridget Bonavia

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

southampton
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Spent four nights at the Strand in September 2011 and found the room we had to be small, especially the bathroom but clean, if a little dated. We had a basic room, which overlooked a dingy ventelation shaft but considering the amount of time we spent in the room, that didn't matter too much. What did matter was being situated right under the dining room and being woken up very early by a series of bangs and clatters as they prepared the room for breakfast. On the subject of breakfast, it was fine but not a great choice.

Silema itself is very lively, plenty of late night bars open and this hotel is in a good location, right by the harbour and with easy access to Valetta. I would stay here again but this time I'd make sure we had a room with a view.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Bridget B, Director of Sales at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 22 December 2016
Dear Guest

We really appreciate the time you've taken to give us feedback on your stay with us. Whilst thanking you for your lovely comments we apologise if the stay was not to your full expectations.

We at 115 the Strand Hotel & Suites do our utmost to ensure our guests are comfortable in their rooms, in fact we have just renovated the whole hotel.

NYC
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I stayed at 2 rooms at 115 The Strand. First one was a seaview room, and because we extended our stay at the last minute, we had to move to an "inside room".

The view from the seaview room (6th floor) really is AMAZING! The room though a good size, is very basic. I guess like the other reviewers said, "you get what you pay for". I know they cleaned the room and everything but somehow the bathroom just didn't feel "super clean". Not sure what it is. Didn't have any bug or roach problems though. We couldn't get wifi signal from our room, but we logged into the hotel next door's wifi with the same login details (internet service provided by the same company). Overall, if you want a great view and you don't care much for "luxury", this place is great value for money.

Our second room though (the inside room on the 7th floor) was very near the elevator and it got way too loud. The other guest were so rowdy (not the hotel's fault I know) and we could hear them so clearly. That means the walls can be really thin. Worse is because the elevator area gets a lot of human traffic. We could also hear a lot of noise coming from the 8th floor restaurant, I'm guessing the clanging of the dishes and people chattering. The room was really small too and overall I'm glad we only had to stay in this room for one night.

I liked the location though. Wouldn't want to stay in rowdy St. Juliens, or Valetta that is dead at night. I didn't get to go to Bugibba so I can't compare.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taniamnor

Reviewed 10 October 2011

I spent 4 nights in this quite depressing hotel. A tiny room with view of old broken down neighbouring properties. It a very noisy hotel with the all night pomp working. The earplugs didn't help.

There is no kettle or fridge and you had to pay deposit for TV controller. The whole place had an air of depression, even the guests didn't smile very much. The safe required a key not the usual code number type therefore you had to carry your safe key everywhere with you.

Must say that the Reception Staff were lovely and very helpful. I got another room but it was as bad as firstone.

This is is to bad even voor a 3 star hotel; I will never do that again!

Malta is to crowded. The beautiful roman buildings are buildin the ugly new buildings. It lost it's identity. I'm not impressed with Malta.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Jadranka1912
Thank you very much for taking your time to review your experiences.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two weeks and while I have rated this hotel as average there are some positives,
The view from the roof terrace,the jacuzzi also on the roof, the cafe bar and gift shop and its location.the excellent room cleaning staff and dining room staff
The negatives no water pressure so you need to run about in the shower to get wet,rooms are small and could do with updating ,the pay TV as the day rate is based on 9am to 9pm (last time I looked there were 24 hrs in a day).
The breakfasts are identical every day so you tend not to bother,if you got this hotel at the right price then on balance as I say you get what you pay for,if however you booked this hotel via the hotel website and paid the advertised rates then you were short changed
You don't need an early morning call just leave it to the cockerel that lives behind the hotel.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2011

After coming on trip advisor I was quite dubious about staying here, especially looking at some of the pictures of cockroaches!!! well do not for a second be put off, I was really happy I stayed here! your in a really really good location, close to Valetta, St Julians....theres bus stops right outside the hotel! Its basic but clean and the kitchenette bit is really handy...the only downfall was the breakfast....it was just basically toast or cereal but again you get what you pay for...I'd DEFINATLY stay here again but maybe just get room only

2 Thank tj49
Thank you for your lovely review.