“Cheap and cheerful”

115 The Strand Hotel and Suites
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I had a 10th floor sea view room.
It was on the corner with a large balcony. Great sunrises!

Room was adequate size and furnishings ok. Bathroom clean and tidy. Air con worked just fine.

Location was excellent for me, good for driving and for catching the bus.

Breakfast was acceptable, lots of choice and nice to sit on the roof terrace enjoying the morning sun.

This hotel is perfect for those who maybe know the island and the benefits of its location. I would recommend for a short break, where you are out and about sightseeing.
It's purely a place to lay your head at night.

Car hire booked through the hotel and service all ok.

Can't grumble. The key is to be realistic!! It's a cheap and cheerful place to stay.

Tip - book a sea view, as I understand furnishings are better and there really isn't much of a view if you don't have sea view.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Justkeepexploring
Bridget B, Director of Sales at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2016

Thank you for your lovely review.

It is always our pleasure to provide our guests with the best service possible and I am glad to know that you experienced just that. I'm sure that the rest of our team will be delighted to read such a great review.

It would be a pleasure to host you once again in the near future at 115 the Strand Hotel & Suites as we have also renovated the property.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed twice(2011 & 2013) at this hotel and we have just great experience. The room was clean and without noise. Breakfast excelent, also locations is very good for getting around Malta. You have a beautiful terrace with panoramic view of Valleta. All to all very good value for money.
AND MOST PRECIOUS VALUE ------THEY HAVE PAULINE.
Pauline thank for everything

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed at 115 The a Strand for a week's holiday and a very reasonable hotel with good location for getting around Malta!
Building works on two floors currently undergoing renovation occurred on daily , which we were unaware of during our planned stay at said hotel. Luckily was out most of the day when it was occurring though dusty floors/balconies were a problem that the cleaning staff continuously battled with!
In general , comfortable rooms, friendly staff , good food ( half board) and plenty of it! Great view from 4th floor made room more than worth it!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Bridget B, Director of Sales at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2016

Dear Guest

We really appreciate the time you've taken to give us feedback on your stay with us. Whilst thanking you for your lovely comments we apologise if the stay was not to your full expectations.

We at 115 the Strand Hotel & Suites do our utmost to ensure our guests are comfortable in their rooms, in fact we have just renovated the whole hotel.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Malta.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have just come back from a 3 night stay. Yes there are building works but you can't expect a hotel to close down while this is being carried out. The noise didn't start til 8ish and was usually finished by the time we returned from a day out. The rooms are spotlesly clean the bathrooms are a little dated but very clean with loads of hot water. It is well worth paying for a sea view and yes it is noisy but what do you expect if you book a hotel on the main road. I am a very poor sleeper but the noise at night didn't seem that bad. For what we paid £14 per night breakfast was good, something hot if you wanted each day. The hotel is brilliantly situated for buses, ferries,bars, shops and restaurants all within a few yards. For a weekend break away from Britian's appalling weather we had nothing to complain about. Cheap food and drink, 18 degrees, blue skies and some lovely cities to explore.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 123broome

Reviewed 6 February 2014

A basic hotel, aspiring to be 4 star but would barely make a 3 star in the UK. Showing signs of wear and age with some damage to the first room I was given in the form of a cracked wall, worn door lock that refused to allow access unless you 'had the knack' and a damaged door frame. Building works were in operation every day of my stay between 9am and 5pm, despite the managers assurance that the 'jack hammer work' would be finished by the end of the second day of our stay. I later discovered that the whole of the 5th and 6th floors were under renovation. I was moved to a lower floor but the sound reverberated throughout the entire hotel so it made no difference.On one of the days of my stay I was woken at 7 am by a diesel engine powered hoist operating directly outside the window. Also the patio doors to the balcony provided no soundproofing so the constant traffic noise in the busy street below required ear plugs to be used to enable me to sleep. Wi-Fi access charges of 9 euros per day seemed pretty steep as the bar down the road offered it for free and a request for an up front payment in cash or by credit card for ten euros for every day of my stay, the balance of which would be refunded some thirty days after the end of our holiday to cover expenses, drinks, use of the safe etc was a bit of a cheek and was refused. I simply paid for what I had used on the day of departure. Food was OK and plentiful. There was always plenty of hot water for showers night and day and the staff were friendly and helpful at all times. No tea and coffee making facilities were available in the rooms or able to be purchased at the reception/TV area. There was no licensed bar.

Room Tip: Wait till the building works have been completed and or forgo the view and get a room away from the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much for taking your time to review your experiences.

We are very sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I will pass on all your comments to the prospective departments so that we can work out all the issues mentioned in your review.

We do hope that we are given another opportunity to proof a better service especially since we have recently renovated our hotel.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We knew this was a budget hotel so expectations were not too high but had not realised that building work was going on there. In fact we could hear jack-hammers and banging all day even on Saturday from 7.50am to at least 4.30pm. We did go out a lot but there were times when we would have liked to have been able to relax in our room. We were unable to use our balcony when the crane was lifting sand to the higher floor. The reception staff were not interested and just said they could only tell the Manager we were upset. We never heard any more. This work is apparently going on for several months.
We had a lovely view from our apartment and the food was quite edible and poorly presented and boring. The restaurant staff were lovely especially Jason.
As someone else pointed out the apartment 'kitchen' was dangerous with the kettle wire across the cooker. There was no draining area for dishes and generally whole unit needed replacing. We thought the TV and WiFi charges were far too high. No-one seemed to use the 'Internet Cafe' or the unwelcoming foyer area. Like others we went and had reasonably priced drinks in the Waterfront Hotel with free WiFi access.
We were also not happy about being asked for 100 euros surety against purchases in the hotel.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms good
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Malta.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I think that normally this is a very pleasant harboured hotel. However when I stayed 15-22 January 2014 I was warned on check_in about a school party & was told to report any noise, but I wasn't warned of the complete bathroom removal_ fittings, tiles being undertaken 2 doors from my room & on the floor below. It started at 8 a.m. & continued all day for the whole week. I ignored it for several days till my face started swelling, possibly an allergic reaction to the dust. I requested a change of floor, the third floor was an improvement. One morning early I was aware of a different noise. There was a crane & a skip outside the hotel. The railings of my original room had been removed & rubble was being removed & noisily tipped into the skip. I contacted my booking agent & that evening a note saying sorry for the inconvenience & a bottle of local red wine was brought to my room. I accepted the note, it was too little too late. On checking out I saw no_one from management, but did see people still being checked in. It could have been a lovely place to stay but not under those circumstances.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank 26wanderer
115owner, Manager at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2016

Dear Sir / Madame,

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We would like to inform you that from 2016 the hotel is now completley refurbished and freshly desgined.

Should you consider to return to Malta, we would be happy to welcome you again at the 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites to exceed your expectations.

Thanks