“The worst hotel we ever stayed in”

115 The Strand Hotel and Suites
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Bucharest, Romania
“The worst hotel we ever stayed in”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Where to start?... because it's hard :))

1. Air Conditioning - NONE! There were 35 degrees outside... inside the room - more than 40. When I asked about this issue I was told that the AC in on only between certain hours in the evening. Which was not true. The AC was not ON the hole week we were there. It was just a vent. It did nothing more. And the filters? Probably they were never cleaned after the installation. Imagine the smell that came from the AC when I turned it ON.

When I told at the reception that it is too hot in the room I was told... sit down for this!... to open the door. In the end I received a floor vent which, of course, didn't solve the problem. The air in the room was still hot because a six years old knows the vent doesn't cool the air. It just lets you think it's cooler only if it blows towards you. Imagine you have to sleep with a vent two meters away blowing the air over you so that you don't dehydrate until morning.

... and we arrive at the second problem... SLEEPING.
2. In 7 nights spent there we weren't able to sleep one night for 8 hours straight. First thing was the presence of Italian students who yell and slam the doors (no matter it is 4 o'clock in the afternoon or in the morning). Aside from a lack of security presence, this might not be the hotel's fault. But still... those in charge of security should do something about this because it seems it is a constant problem. Another thing that kept us awake was the noise from the street and from the clubs. Knowing that the hotel is situated in a noisy area the management SHOULD invest some money in soundproofing the rooms. After all, we come to a hotel to sleep not to spend the vacation in the room.
3. Breakfast - A JOKE!!! DON'T pay for breakfast. This is what you will get: cereals with milk, cheese (1 type of cheese), tomatoes, cucumbers, salad, 3 types of ham, some jam, compote, some cookies. And this is every day. Plus, on one day you will get some beans and scrambled eggs, and in the next day, instead of scrambled eggs you get some questionable sausages. Forget about variety. And if you are a vegetarian it is more difficult. And if you are a vegan then the money for breakfast are "well spent"... if you know what I mean. I am not a vegetarian, nor a vegan, but my wife is vegetarian so there was a little problem.
Coffee? Forget about it. There is a machine where you can get different "coffee like" drinks made from instant coffee. We all know those powders are not coffee. There are also 3 types of juices to choose from, but you'll get tired of them from the first day because they are probably the cheapest juices found on the island that taste accordingly... oh... they have plenty of sugar so don't think they are natural or something.
4. Internet... 9.5 EUR/day??? Are you kidding? In 2014? In the EU? "Well done!". It costs me 1 EUR/day to use the data services via roaming so the choice was simple.
5. Cleanness. The towels were changed daily, so this is a plus. BUT... it seems to me that the towels are not washed. Only boiled, or something. They have a specific smell.
The overall look of the room was not of a clean one.
One more thing... I found a cockroach. It was in the hallway, but still... it's not a pretty picture in a hotel. Unfortunately, I didn't have the phone or camera with me at that moment.
6. View: great, if your room with a sea view. You can see the whole Sliema Bay. Of course, if you are lucky to stay in one of those rooms you must know the room will also come with the infernal street noise. :)
7. Location. I believe this is the best feature of this hotel. Direct access to the airport with X2 line and it's located at equal distance from St. Julian and Valletta. St. Julian is way too crowded and if you will travel a lot you will find that getting in a bus in that area is quite a challenge. But in Sliema/Gzira it's ok. I recommend Sliema/Gzira.

Overall impression: the worst hotel we ever stayed in. We even stayed in a 2 stars hotel in Vienna once and it was much better (I know, you might say you can't compare Vienna with Sliema, but still). I believe the 3 stars of the hotel have nothing to do with what you will find here. When I was a kid I went in a 1 star hotel in the communist era of Romania and that one was close enough to this one. I believe 115 The Strand Aparthotel should have 1 star maximum.

Room Tip: Other than to choose another hotel I don't know what tip to give you to find a good room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adrian F
Luke S, Manager at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Esteemed client,

Thank you for taking your time to share your views and experience at the 115 the Strand.

First of all I would like to start by expressing my sincere apologies for having an unpleasant experience at the 115 The Strand. This is contrary to what we work hard for because we always strive and make sure that our guest has an enjoyable experience while staying here with us.

Re your issues I have discussed them with the staff and management concerned so that they can be tackled immediately.

With regards to the air condition it does run at certain hours of the day but during the night we make sure that it goes on during the entire night for the benefit of the guest. I am sorry that yours was maybe faulty because I have checked with our Maintenance manager and confirmed that during the period they were all fully functioning and the filters are cleaned regularly. Having said that in the shoulder season we are planning the refurbishment and changing our air condition system so by next year this will be functioning more to the clients' satisfaction.

I am very surprised to hear that you could not sleep because we try to keep the noise controlled. We have security during the evening who goes round and reports any student who is making any noise or disturbing the guests. Also there are their leaders whom we are very strict with to control their students. Additionally I am not sure to which clubs you are referring to am afraid because our area does not have any clubs, only restaurants. Still we do control the noise and in fact we have most of the balcony dour double glazed and others will change them once we continue the refurbishment.

The breakfast, Our breakfast is continental prepared fresh every morning by our Italian chef and I can assure you that we seldom have any complaints about it because it is quite varied and fresh. Compared to the breakfast supplement that we charge which is a minimal one, the quality and quantity are quite good in fact we often get complimented about it, along with the location as you kindly have mentioned.

The internet as in the majority of other 3 star properties comes at a charge, however we do make up for this since the level of speed and efficiency is of superior quality. On the other hand we do offer packages for those staying for a week for instance that work out to be reasonable and affordable for everyone. Otherwise one can use the internet cafe for as little as €3.00 per hour.

I do hope that the above clears up any of your mishaps and whilst I apologise for any mishaps once again we do hope to see you once again in our fantastic property and make up for your past experience.

I remain at your disposal and should you need any additional assistance do not hesitate to contact me on sales@115aparthotel.com

Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Parents wanted to go back to Malta with family to retrace steps married 60 yrs ago. Appartment was acceptable. Sliema is a wonderful place lots to see and do.Apartment nothing special but just acceptable hotel where we had breakfast acceptable nothing to scream and shout about, just overall nothing special

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Luke S, Manager at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Client,

Thank you for sharing your views about our apart hotel.

We are very glad that you have chosen 115 The Strand to stay. As you have mentioned we are very much in the centre in the wonderful city of Sliema.

being a 3 star and budget friendly apart hotel our main aim is for the hotel to be as comfortable as possible at a reasonable price. Having said that our structure is well kept and up to standard while we always make sure that it is clean and well maintained.

In the mean time we do hope that we will see you and your family once again and wish you a pleasant Summer.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We arrived not knowing what to expect because we had booked a 'budget holiday', but we were very pleasantly surprised the hotel was exceptionally clean very comfortable and the staff could not do enough to help, Pauline on reception was particularly helpful and always had a warm welcoming smile

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up and away from lifts as the hotel is right on the main road through Sliema, an...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Mike S
Luke S, Manager at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear esteemed client,

Thank you for your review.

We are very glad to hear that you found our apart hotel a warm place to be on holiday.

Together with all the staff at the 115 The Strand we thank you for your kind comments you have shared and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Wishing you a pleasant Summer.

Bristol
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was our first holiday as adults, in fact between us we had not had one for over 80 years! The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and very helpful. we hope to go back some day.

A friend booked the holiday as a surprise for us through onthebeach and we were surprised at the deal she got, so we did some research and discovered we were booked into one of the back rooms, so we contacted the hotel and upgraded into a front room.

We heard people complaining about their rooms, and we could not understand their problem, I mean, you are paying about £5 per person per night. It seems they did not do their research, they just paid for the cheapest they could get.

The hotel is lovely and, as a first holiday for to 50+ year olds, it was well worth it.

Room Tip: If your tour operator is only charging a very low rate, check to see if you have an inside or front...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank First Time T
Luke S, Manager at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Client,

I am very glad to hear that we had the opportunity to be the hosts for your holiday after such a long time and that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

Our staff is always there and at the discretion of the guest to see to each and everyone of his needs. Since we are a small apart hotel we get to know the clients and can better meet their needs. the room you were in was one of the sea view rooms which is highlighted by the impeccable view it has of the Marsamxett harbour and Valletta.

In the mean time we thank you for your kind review and we hope that you will return once again to the 115 the Strand hotel.

Happy Summer.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our two room apartment’s living space was dingy with a window that looked across a depressing light shaft, directly in to the bedroom of the apartment opposite ( feet away) and through to their toilet / bathroom. Not possible to have curtains open without being overlooked. Two rickety dining chairs.
No wall decorations and exposed wiring near television, which is in the bedroom.
The kitchenette was poorly equipped with a fridge that was thick with ice on arrival and kept freezing up foodstuffs in the main cabinet. The management did not have a replacement. The frying pan was thick with grease and the saucepan filthy. After complaining, a second (very badly scratched) saucepan appeared. No kitchen knives, no cutting board, no vegetable peeler, no bottle opener
Matters brought to attention of the reservations manager were dismissed saying we had booked via Malta Direct and so hotel was not responsible for any shortcomings.
Guests who want an ocean view (part of which looks over the boat yard) might find traffic noise disturbing.
Hotel directory warns “Tap water is not drinkable”.
No secure place (i.e. room that is locked) for luggage storage.
Be careful of the awkward step getting in and out of the lift immediately next to reception.

3 Thank Aussiejohn_12
Luke S, Manager at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Client,

Thank you for your feedback and for outlining the issues which have arisen. We have discussed and tackled the issue which you have mentioned so we could provide you with a better understanding.

I am very sorry to hear that you found our apartments to be below your expectations. Our Sea view apartments which was the one you were residing in always get complemented since it is quite big, spacious and with a great view. . I am afraid that re kitchen they are all standard and the same in all of our apartments so we couldn't upgrade you to a bigger kitchen. Apartments are in a hotel so it is understandable that they will not have all the equipment that you can find in the kitchen at home. Still we do our best that if something is not provided in the apartment we still provide it to the guest. With regards to the apartment description,

Of course I am not justifying the cleanliness of the pots and pans because that I apologise all out and I can assure you that strict measures are being taken to find out how such an issue has arisen because we always make sure that all kitchen equipment is up to standard and in good condition before clients use them. Having said that, the Housekeeper and our Reservations Manager advised me that upon presenting the matter, housekeeping went straight away to the apartment and replaced the equipment which was dirty. while making sure it was clean.

Since we are in a central location with proximity to all amentites and Sliema, some traffic noise is to be expected if the balcony door is left open, the view then makes up for it however because it is a breathtaking view overlooking Valletta as well.

Re security we always advise the guests that when they leave the luggage it is at their discretion. Since we do not have a porter we cannot leave it locked. Still we never had any problems. Other than that I would say that hotel is very secure.

I hope that the above settles any doubts and again and we do apologise for the mishaps during your stay and that we did not meet your expectations. For your next visit please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we will be more than happy to settle any queries or requests before your arrival. We look forward for your next visit and wish you safe travels.

Sales Manager

Travellers are raving about these Sliema hotels

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The only good thing about 115 The Strand Aparthotel Sliema is the cleanliness of the rooms. My wife and I spent 11 nights there and we never had a full nights sleep. Doors were constantly being banged during the night! The hotel was full of Italian students who never seemed to sleep girls were squealing and running up and down the corridors.
The management wouldn't do anything as they were scared of losing the contract.
Receptionists never smiled a greeting and when we booked out we weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay.
The Bookbites shop staff weren't trained to serve I waited about ten minutes to be served. We walked out without being served.
We will never go back to the hotel again or recommend it!

Room Tip: Don't!
2 Thank Bern_A190802
Luke S, Manager at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Client,

Thank you for your time in sharing your views about the hotel. we are very sorry to hear about your stay and have shared your issues with the management and staff concerned so we will get to the bottom of it and make sure that it will not happen again.

First of all we are glad to hear that you have found the hotel very clean because we always make sure that guests are residing in a clean and relaxed environment. In fact I am very surprised to hear about the banging of the doors. We have the security guard during the night who makes sure that if there are any young guests keep quiet and not disturb the clients. We are very strict on this regard.

Re our staff at the front desk I am very sorry to hear and I have no justification for it, I have spoken to the front desk personnel about this and apologise on their behalf. Rest assured that we invest in our staff and make sure that they provide quality service to the client. then again with regards to the staff at the bookbites, I am afraid it tends to get very busy as it is quite popular with both tourists and locals alike.

We hope that we shall be seeing you once again in the near future and have the opportunity to make it up for you. if we can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me on sales@115aparthotel.com.

Nairn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Thank you to the management and staff for yet another wonderful stay at the Strand.
The sea view rooms were excellent and cleaned daily to a very high standard.
We experienced one night when a group of Italian children were very noisey,but credit to management this was delt with the next day.
We were. always greeted with a smile and nothing was to much trouble .
Looking forward to staying with you again.Hope fully in the near future.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms a must spectacular choose floors 5 or 6
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CHRISTINE M
Luke S, Manager at 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Client,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure having you at the 115 The Strand and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay here.

I see that like most travelers who visited our apart hotel found the Sea view rooms spectacular. In fact we do often get complimented about the impeccable and unobstructed views of the sea. With regards to the noise we do our best to try and control it of course since our staff works very hard to provide a relaxing and quite environment for the guest.

In the mean time we look forward in having the opportunity to host you again and wish you a pleasant summer.