“Attention To Detail Simply Amazing”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Northern Ireland
“Attention To Detail Simply Amazing”
Reviewed 17 March 2009

My partner and I stayed at The Palace from the 4th November 2008 for 9 Nights.

Where do I start? I have named this review “attention to detail” as I feel this is the best way to describe The Palace. What do I mean by this? From the first second inside the doors we had the service you expect with a 5 star and the architecture to match. The Architecture is modern, fresh and exactly to our taste. The style of the hotel and quality of the staff go hand in hand. Malta is a small compact island, so don’t expect to be entering a sprawling hotel over acres of land. However, the feel of this hotel with its setting within Sliema's older streets is simply perfect! This has to be my favourite hotel in a Europe sunshine resort and I have stayed in many!

The Attention to detail of waiting staff in the talk of the town front bar and in particular the main restaurants was some of the best I have ever experienced in the UK or abroad. Nothing was ever a hassle to any of them. Holidaying in November, The Palace was not busy and our treatment by staff left a lasting impression! We are both seasoned travellers with 3 - 4 breaks a year along with business stop overs. We also eat out at home in good restaurants on a weekly basis, so The Palace had a lot to live up to!! It lived up to it and more, the Chefs food is of amazing standards, I have read people complaining about the menu, perhaps it is a little smaller than some, however, everything I ordered was made and served to perfection! We did have problems with our stay, the dilemma over what desert to pick after our main course! Deserts complemented and finished of an amazing meal every night! Bad but worth it, you are staying in a spa hotel so you can burn of the pounds! The Chefs in The Palace have won many awards in its short time open!

Check in was a pleasant experience and we had a much welcomed surprise! The lady on reception told us we had the pleasure of a free room upgrade, we where given an amazing room with beautiful views! This room was simply outstanding and a total bonus to our holiday! A big thank you to The Palace!!

Impression of the Hotel.
The palace has set a benchmark for us when selecting other hotels for our breaks. Without question, the palace is professionally run to an amazing standard and all staff knew their jobs inside out, a real credit to the management! I have been busy with business since my return, but I am going to write a personal letter of thanks to the management as my experience was so good. This is something I have never done, so surely this tells you the impression The Palace has left even a few months on.

When I read other reviews, I can only think some people have got this hotel confused with somewhere else. It defies me how anyone could find a negitive about The Palace.

Will we return? Do you get wet when it rains! As sure as night follows day we will return, probably every year! If you dont like this place, then simply no where would be good enough for you.

Pricing -
I have read people think the pricing for drinks and food to be high. Firstly, this is 5 Star Hotel. However, I found drinks to be very cheap compared with Hotels and Bar in Belfast, Dublin and the UK, anywhere between 30 - 50% Cheaper. This is even with the current poor Sterling Exchange Rate. Bottles of wine are similar to restaurants at home. Food I feel was cheaper than home. At home you can go to a "beat the clock" type restaurant that will be cheaper, but, if you take into account the standard of hotel, surrounds & food and do a like for like, I would say The Palace would be easily 25% Cheaper.

In Summary.
- Great Food
- Well Priced Menu's & Drinks
- Excellent Staff
- Amazing Rooms
- Perfect Location (However A few Steep Hills Around)
- Lovely Spa Facilites

This hotel has an elegance and the feel is just right. Very stylish, yet with a relaxed atmosphere. I have read people saying this hotel is not 5 Star, this is a lot of nonsense. Perhaps as mentioned earlier, if you are familar with large sprawling hotels in resorts like Dubai, the palace cannot offer things on this large of scale. However, believe me, you will not find a better hotel in Malta than this!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NIholidayreviews

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,001)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
stone
Reviewed 16 March 2009

We stayed from the 5 to 15 March beautiful hotel spoiled by poor room maintenance we had no hot water for 2 days and the air con never seamed to work properly we did get it fixed in the end but that should have been right the first time for a 5 star hotel breakfast was very rarely hot but plenty of choice rooms were large and we had clean towels and face clothes every day also new shower and hair shampoo every day the bathroom was large and you had a shower over the bath and a separate shower also a separate toilet so 2 people could use the bathroom at the same time staff were very good and tried every time they were asked a question to give an answer the Asian restaurant on the top floor was very good but not every body wants to eat Asian food every night the only other restaurant they had was the Talk of the Town at the bar which only served snacks and they were very expensive.The hotel would also not be very good for any body with walking or breathing difficulties or if you had a hart condition as it is up a hill which at times depending which way you choice to take back can get quite steep. On the hole we had a good stay but would not class it as a 5 Star hotel more a 4 star and also be aware that the church bell across the road rings every 15 minutes so can keep you awake if you are a lite sleeper also the time share touts are a complete nuisance and the Maltese government should stamp them out as you can not walk along the front with out being stopped by them we walked from the Palace to St Julians and back one day and got stopped 8 times by the same person a mouth full of bad language worked in the end but you should not have to resort to those tactics to get a quite walk along the front.
Would go back again as it seamed to be the best of the hotels in Sliema

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John P
Leicestershire
Reviewed 12 March 2009

The hotel is situated approx 400m away from seafront and Sliema Ferries on Triq il Kriba
At Sliema ferries you can catch a bus to Valletta and many other places on the island
There is also a ferry service Sliema/ Valletta and Grand Harbour cruises operated by Captain Morgan & Luzzo depart from here
Service at the hotel is excellent - nothing too much trouble !
Staff are attentive and polite and always greet you with a smile
Our superior room had the most comfortable beds and pillows of any hotel stayed at !
Furnishings modern & contemporary, good size bathroom with seperate bath & shower, mini bar and complimentary tea & coffeee
The hotel features two swimming pools. Outdoor top floor / indoor & spa 7th floor
Breakfast buffet superb !
Highly recommend a visit to the hotels top floor restaurant TemptAsian. View of night lights of Valletta whilst eating food cooked to perfection !
Liked best - choosing the Palace Hotel for our stay
Liked least - the weather

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BazzaLeicestershire
London, England
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I enjoyed my 4 day stay here. My room was very well designed and comfortable, as are the public areas. The front desk staff were particularly helpful and pleasant. It is centrally located in Sliema but still quiet, however it is on quite a steep hill. My only real criticism is the breakfast.which is not 5 star standard either in content or service. When the weather is warmer the roof deck and infinity pool is very nice for sunbathing..

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank RayL0nd0n
Dorset - England
Reviewed 6 March 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the hotel, the satff were so helpful, friendly and always had a smile on their faces. I would especially like to thank the gentleman at front of desk who helped us out with information as to what buses to get on and where to find them, and also on the last day helping us with our luggage and getting our car from the car park and then loading it for us. This was beyond the call of duty.

The Palace definatley earns its 5 star rating, the restaurants are excellent, the buffet breakfast is so huge and vast with different types of breakfasts for all people. Both my friend and I had a lovely time, the room was very spacious as was the bathroom with gowns, slippers and toiletries. Our balcony looked over both the sea and the town which we loved. I definatley intend to return to Malta and I would definately stay at The Palace again.

C.M. Humphreys Room 346 25th Feb - 4th March

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank liamfindlay1
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Myself and my husband stayed here for 6 nights in February 2009. The hotel really is beautiful and ideally located in the heart of Sliema. The bedroom was nice and big as was the bathroom. We were on the 8th floor with a balcony and had a lovely view. Only eat in TemptAsian once and the food was really nice. Breakfast was nice too but i didnt feel like it was up to 5* quality.
A couple of things which could have been improved on in my opinion....we found the bedroom very cold, even though we adjused the heat, everytime we came back to the room the temparature seemed to be down low again. Also we had chamber maids come into our room at 7.30am to clean it so make sure you put the do not disturb sign on the door every night so not to be woken up! There was a few power failuers while we were there also. That didnt bother me too much. What did annoy me was that after 5 power cuts ( the longest lasting nearly 10 minutes) not one member of staff called our room to apologise or to explain what was happening. We ordered room service once and it took over an hour and food was cold so i wouldnt bother with that to be honest. Last thing, we stayed on the 8th floor. As the restaurant is on the 9th floor every morning from about 8am and every night about 12.30am all we could hear was the sound of chairs and tables being dragged and moved above us. I found it very hard to sleep with that noise. But again just ask for a room not on the 8th floor and you will be fine. Overall the hotel was very nice and the staff were nice but i think they are having some teething problems that they need to address before you could really feel like you had the 5* experience!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sorcha99
ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Myself and my boyfriend have stayed in The Palace on the 12th of February for 2 nights.
The hotel made me feel very comfortable as we walked in. I really liked the designs
. It is nice,and modern and a new hotel.
On check in unfortunately we did not feel as good as walked through to the hotel.
They gave us the key. I felt that the receptionist smiled to us because she had to,and that was not her own will. Because I work as the receptionist myself I understand that the job may be stressful and sometimes you just do not feel perfectly well to smile to everyone but we were in 5 star hotel and I just wanted to feel respected and important.
Our room was on the 4th floor. We did not have the great view neither.
It was facing the sister hotel - the Victoria hotel. My boyfriend was loughing at me that I am picky,but for the price what we have paid I had to be.
I have tried to ring the reception,after 5 mins finally somebody answered. Then to get the iron and iron board we were waiting next 15 mins.
We also went to the Asian Restaurant and we had the meal there.
I agree that the prices are high and as somebody before I almost have got the cold soup for starter. The view from the hotel on the 9th floor makes a huge impression. It is worth it !!!
To be honest with you we did enjoyed our stay but I just felt a little bit of leak customer service from the desk.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
Hilton Malta
#5 of 15 in Valletta
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#9 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!