“Luxurious to say the least”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
London
“Luxurious to say the least”
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Finally getting around to writing this review. The Palace is a superb hotel, we spent a fabulous week there in October 2008. October being off season, it was a lot quieter in Malta but the weather was still lovely. We spent most of the time at the rooftop pool area which has sunbeds a plenty which are all very comfortable and it was always very serene up there, perfect for chilling out. The Pool was very cold, unfortunately, it isn't heated, and of course being October the sun doesn't heat the pool very much.

Our room was very luxurious, absolutely HUGE bed, I was one end of the bed, my partner the other end! Huge wardrobes, a fully stocked mini bar plus complimentary coffee and teas stocked daily. Powerful shower, spacious bath. Cleaner came daily so everything meticulously clean.

Hotel staff friendly and helpful. Bar staff were lovely and the bar comes with a great range of cocktails! We ate in the restaurant once or twice and it was lovely food, worth the extra money.

We also had room service breakfast on two mornings, and this I would recommend to anyone staying at hotel, as it was plentiful and superb!

The location is great, just a the top of a small hill in Silema, supermarket just next door, a 5 minute walk down the hill to all the Silema shops and the harbour with all the boat trips.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CeriJade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (980)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
scotland
Reviewed 7 April 2009

The hotel offers a great location and amazing views of Malta. Bedrooms are spacious and the bathrooms are very luxurious, with shower cubicle and seperate bath, bathrobes and slippers. The staff at the hotel were very friendly, from room service, to breakfast staff and those at reception.
Swimming pool is on the roof top terrace (9th floor) and the views are something else. The infinity pool is a perfect way to relax.
Room service selection is good, and reasonably priced, as was the restaurant.
Breakfast choice was perhaps not of a 5 star standard, as there was not a great selection but the quality was good all the same. This did not put me off in anyway.
The trips that were advertised in the rooms to Gozo etc, are VERY over priced. I would recomend taking a stroll to the promenade in Silema and you see the numerous advertisements and sales people offering trips at much better rates. The ladies at reception helped us book these independent trips to Gozo at no extra cost.
Silema itself is a perfect place to stay in Malta, easy accessable to St Julians, Spinola bay, Valletta. There are also direct bus links to Mdina, Buggiba and Qwara as well from Silema. I prefer not to stay in a typically toursity place when on holidays....with skyrise buildings, tacky bars etc, so Silema was a perfect choice. Mix with locals, stroll along the promenade, boat trips....was lovely.
We had a wonderful stay in Malta, and this was our first time there. I would return to both the island and the Palace Hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rachael_reid
York
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We stayed at the Palace Hotel late March/early April 2009. Rooms well appointed and very quiet. The indoor pool was a bonus and provided much needed relaxation. The food in the Tabloid restaurant is excellent with a good prix fixe menu - there was a 3 for 2 offer on which made it excellent value. Breakfasts very good with plenty of choice - the cookec food was replenished regularly and not left to dry up. Plenty of fruit available.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tum22
Brussels
Reviewed 4 April 2009

Stayed here for two nights on business in March.
First time in Malta and I will be back and I will most certainly be staying in the Palace again.
I stayed in the "Music" suite (which has two huge and very comfortable beds and... a drum kit in the room, alone with a state of the art music and entertainment system) and it was spectacular.

What I really had the time to enjoy was the balcony and it's wonderful view of the city.

The location is great, a quick stroll from the waterfront, and the staff from the owner (who it seems takes real pride in his hotel) to the cleaning staff (who greeted me warmly every time I passed) were some of the best I have encountered.

The hotel was also excellent value for money too.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Euro27traveller
Chicago
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I have a couple requirements for hotels: great beds, nice linens and quiet. I read that this hotel had all 3 so my friend and I stayed for a week there. The front desk people are all very accomodating but just because you request it doesn't mean you will get it w/in the first request. This is Malta, and a lot of things take more than one request.

Pros:
--Non touristy area. We were close to shopping and bus stops as well as several recommended restaurants. The area was quiet and residential.
--Friendly and warm staff
--Very comfortable beds
--Fabulous linens - I even asked where they got them from
--Very modern decor
--Free internet

Cons
--Shower was mildewy by end of the week, but this may have been because we didn't do a daily cleaning
--Must repeat requests to front guest staff (I never got the name of the sheets; I ended up copying their website address from the pillowcase tag)
--You can hear everything! Someone above us dragged a chair back and forth every morning. You can hear hallway conversations, and even other flushing toilets.

I probably would not stay there again due to the noise factor, but my friend liked it a lot. I would recommend to other travellers who are not light sleepers. It is located in a perfect area.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shoes&Travel
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 1 April 2009

My family and I have just returned from a short break at The Palace, first impressions were excellent. Rooms were spacious and cleaned thoroughly everyday! However, on the third day of our stay the toilets in our rooms would no longer flush, upon ringing maintenance we were informed that there was a problem with the toilets in the hotel and it was not resolved until late the next morning! This was a major inconvenience! Then on our last day we received an unscheduled wake up call to our room at 5am to say our taxi had arrived, seeing as our flight home was late in the evening it was most unwelcome. Unfortunately we didn't get to see the roof top pool, as due to the weather the terrace was kept closed. We did however get to swim in the indoor pool and use the spa both of which were lovely. The staff on reception were very helpful and gave us some handy tips for getting around and using the buses. Should also mention that we used the car park at the hotel and this was priceless as finding a parking space in Malta is near enough impossible! Overall a good holiday, just a few problems that cast a shadow.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank jenniicc
North West
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Hotel is excellent in terms of both facilities and value for money. Food, particularly the breakfast, ranks amongst the best I have received in a hotel and the staff are friendly and helpful.
Even the basic rooms are spacious and well appointed and the facilities, which include gym, roof-top infinity pool and indoor pool, are of good quality.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShazNorthWest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Victoria Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,787 reviews
Pebbles Boutique Aparthotel
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!