“value for money!”

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
athens
“value for money!”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

it was a very nice surprise to find such a beautifull hotel so close to the nightlife and shopping centre of sliema.
we could go anywhere just in a 5 minute walk.
we could reach the beach at the same time although we didn't have to as the hotel's pool was great with a phantastic view of the sea and of Valleta!
and a perfect restaurant......

and a great tip for all you greeks out there:
THEY NOW SERVE FRAPE!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank mirellaAthens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We chose the Palace over the Fortina as the reviews were better, but found the hotel very disappointing. We arrived on a Thursday by taxi from the airport - we had emailed to see if there was a courtesy bus, but no - at 12 noon. Official check in was 2pm and our room wasn't ready but the receptionist said it was being cleaned and wouldn't be long. We had a drink at the bar but after a while no-one had come to see us so I asked again at reception, only to be told it would be about half an hour. We decided to have lunch at the hotel and not let it bother us. At 2pm I checked again but she couldn't contact the cleaner so went up in the lift to check the room. We waited again. She eventually came down and said it was ready. There was no concierge, no-one to help with the cases, which wasn't a problem for us, but you expect it in a 5*.
We got to the room and found the key card worked 3rd time. The room was large, king size bed, safe, usual toiletries etc, nice enough but the rug by the bed needed a good hoovering. A sign said the balcony door should be kept locked, but when we tried it it wouldn't lock. There was hanging robe, but no hangers. I rang down and reported this while we unpacked. No-one came. Meanwhile we discovered both key cards worked intermittently. I went down to complain and reception reset them. Back at the room, still intermittent. We went for a walk, and on returning maintenance werefixing the balcony lock. we asked for hangers,and were told the wardrobe was for an ironing board (although one wasn't there) but if we wanted hangers we could have them! Yes please!! We were B&B so ate out each evening
Other reviewers have praised the breakfast, saying the choice was fantastic, but if you've ever cruised you'll know fantastic breakfasts. These were not 5star. There was no chef cooking to order for example which any 5star worth the rating would have. Things would run out andnot be replaced. You have to find your own table, at a 5 star you would expect to be shown to a table, not wait for oneto be cleared. Service was poor. We had some fruit to start, asked for tea and got it, then went for our hot breakfast. when we got back the bowls had been cleared and so had everything else. We asked for more tea and the waitress brought two empty pots. By this time we were giving up on complaining, it just spoils thye holiday. We were glad we were only there for 5 nights.
The pool area was pleasant, on the roof, and very relaxing if you ignored the piped music. One day some family brought their kids - the only ones we had seen - to the pool and screamed for an hour. They ended up crying of course. I complaine to the pool attendant who was very offhand. I asked him if they were guests and he snapped back 'Of course they are guests'. Not 5* service!

2 Thank Peter D
bucks,england
Reviewed 22 June 2009

The Palace is a new hotel in Sliema. It is about a 10 minute walk down to the waterfront which features many bars and restaurants and where you can take a habour tour or catch the ferry to Valletta. The hotel is a model of understated luxury with contemporary decor and furnishings and all the hi-tech features that you would expect. The infinity pool deck on the 9th floor is a fabulous place to relax and soak up the rays. On this floor there is also the very atmospheric "Temptasian" restaurant which is not to be missed. The breakfast buffet was consistently good. It always felt really good to come back to this oasis of calm after being out in the hot sun,surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the crowded streets of Sliema.

1 Thank blondieBucks_england
winchester
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Lovely modern hotel, in quiet street in centre of Sliema.

The good:
Modern room with large balcony
Lovely pool on roof and cracking views towards Valletta and St Julians
Good location, close to shops and restaurants
Good quality food in restaurants

The bad:
No consistent water pressure, 5 secs of hot water followed by 5 secs of cold water throughout our stay - no fun after a week
Staff came to fill the mini bar crazily early - I woke one morning to find someone in our room at 0820 and several mornings we were woken up by banging on the door
Our key cards continually stopped working - we went through about 8 over the week

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank raymond1812
wynyard
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Our stay was for seven nights from the 8th of June.We had booked a junior suite and were upgraded (lack of availability) to the Music Room, an incredible themed room with superb attention to detail. The hotel is well designed and certainly has a high class feel.
However, with one or two notable exceptions, the staff/staffing did not measure up to the surroundings, how can you give a 5 star service with minimum manning? There was a notable absence of a concierge, all our enquiries had to go through reception where often there was only one staff member. There appeared to be little if any sense of team working, an invite from THE MANAGEMENT to a cocktail party seems to confirm the division between the chiefs and indians, we likened the management approach more to Ricky Gervaise's The Office than a high class business Ian/Barbara

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ianbell-ltd
ATHENS
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Central Located, Spacious Rooms ( heavenly beds), Delicious Food, Pool on the roof top, Spa to be pampered, and most of all what friendly staff!
what else could we ask from our holidays?

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank GRKAthens
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2009

This is my first review and my first ever holiday to Malta. After reading reviews, I decided to just go to Malta and bought my ticket at the airport and booked my hotel from an internet cafe at Gatwick since I couldn't do both through the airline. The Palace in Sliema, Malta was/is (and hopefully will be for others) one of the best hotel experiences I've had in a long time. I had called the Palace hotel to let them know I would be getting into Malta at 2am. They reserved a car for me and I was met at the airport. There was a little mix up when I arrived, but eventually I was making my way up and down some winding roads en route to the hotel. Turned the corner of some unassuming tiny street and there was the Palace. I was greeted by two very nice and accommodating front desk gentlemen. I was given a room on the second floor that I later learned didn't have a view. I always ask for a room on a higher floor anyway, and thankfully (and for some extra euros) was given a superior room, #649. I was so tired, but when I got to my room, the front desk called me to ask me how everything was. I opened the heavy curtain and there was the city shining back at me. I opened the patio doors and stepped out onto a large balcony. It was worth it just for the view alone, and the sound of the sea... I don't know if I was punchy from lack of sleep, but I went back down to the lobby (shoeless) and thanked the guys. Motion sensors turn the air conditioning on when you enter and off when you either open the patio doors or leave the room. Bathrooms are modern. There is a little rust on the fittings in the shower, but how could I lose sleep over that when in the light of day, I had a breathtaking view of the city of Sliema to occupy my mind? Anyways, well stocked mini-bar which is a lifesaver for late arrivals, comfortable bed and absolutely no problems with falling asleep. 24 hour room service, but I didn't want to spend that much time in my room. Waking up to the sound of the church bells every morning wasn't even a problem because of the double glazed patio doors. I only heard the bell chime when I was ready to wake up (weird). The extravagant buffet breakfast was the largest and most varied I've had in a while and since this was the off-season, there were only a few guests milling about. I don't think there was anyone in the rooms either side of me, nor above. So this for me was the best time to go (early June). If you want the hustle and bustle, go during the peak. I could walk into a restaurant and get a table, but I made reservations anyway. I'm sure you have to make them well in advance during the height of summer when you probably have to fight to get a table. As I had the opportunity to only eat out twice, I found great food at the Kitchen restaurant and bbq at the Chef. I recommend them both. For lunch, I found an organic restaurant on the main promenade in Sliema (Triq it-Torri) called The Mint. Again, I was lucky and this place served amazing food and was about the only place open after 3pm serving sandwiches and quiche. I went for a swim in the indoor pool which provides a terrace and views of the city. The spa offers great services (try a facial from Tracy, she'll make you feel radiant) and the gym is light and airy. Also, the rooftop infinity pool is amazing and probably one of the most alternative ways to view Sliema. Everyone made you feel like you were at home. I will most certainly go back to Malta and the Palace. I hope they keep it up and retain those five stars.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank kalasoma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Victoria Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,787 reviews
Pebbles Boutique Aparthotel
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!