“Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Sliema
SouthShields
“Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

Arrived quite late and were upgraded immediately. The rooms were huge and spotlessly clean. The hotel is in a great location and surrounded by lots of places to eat . We ate in the Tempasian restaurantone night which was super and has the best views in Malta. Everyone was really friendly and made our first trip to Malta very memorable.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (962)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

Fantastic week in a beautiful hotel. Room was excellent - very large, on the 6th, sea view. Best to request this in advance. (We had paid for a deluxe room.)
Pool service excellent too. Avoid the TemptAsian restaurant - overpriced, bad service, not great food. Other cafes/restaurants fine.

DO NOT USE WILLIAM'S GARAGE FOR TRANSFERS - we used them because of recommendation on Trip Advisor and they were useless.
We expected a private transfer and ended up sharing a car on the way to the hotel.
The return car did not arrive (potentially making us very late for our flight home); the office were very rude when we phoned, the car finally turned up 40 minutes late and did not apologise - by this point we had decided to use the hotel's taxi company.

Naas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

Put it like this- I am currently in the process of returning here next year!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank CWS9
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

we booked the hotel with booking,com and took a big offer.
we arrived in the late afternoon and check in our not smoking room.
big room but..facing a brick wall!!! we took the big offer so for the price paied no problems.
the bathroom was big too but not very clean so we phone to the concierge and asked for cleaning.
the hotel is very well located in center of sliema but not in a busy street full of traffic so for us was better.
breakfast is too expensive! 18 euro each, they offer a pack for our 10 breakfast for 12 euro each ...again too expensive!!!! so, we bought everyting in the supermarket that is 1 building far from the hotel and had everyday breakfast on the balcony.
only twice we had breakfast in a cafè on the promenade for 7 euro for 2 persons.
the infinity pool at 9 floor is great, and not very crowded. the indoor pool not impressed me.
the 2 pc with free internet connection are usueful, but not sufficient in a big hotel.
staff at the desk is very kind, smiling and useful also to book restaurants.
great is to have the free parking! wonderful to have it in sliema in august!
in general, the hotel is great, but definitely NOT a 5*.
i had to ask for changing towels, sheets, and bathrobe.
cleaning of the room was not ok for a 5*.
i definitely recommend the hotel if you take a big offer like me (86€/night/no breakfast) but not if you pay a lot more.
too cold in the hall ! we are in malta...not in the desert!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
bath
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

Arrived late and directed to an inward facing room - I expect the view from a Prison Cell is better. Took 14 hours to change to the correct room - outward facing with balcony - no apologies just a lot of smiling - I even had to move our bags. Room okay but bath tub not fitted correctly; it was a bit like standing on a trampoline. Bath also leaking as bedroom wall coverewd in mould! Didn't complain as I knew that staff would do nothing...
Pool area is shared with linked Hotel - therefore not enough space, loungers or even towels.
Food and drink very over priced and wine served in a dirty glass.
All in all it would have been easier to have got it right!
Now need another holiday to get over this one.

5 Thank mikeBath
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

As a journalist I regularly travel and stay at a range of four and five star hotels across the world. Therefore I am a little surprised this hotel claims to be a five star - in my experience it was more of a four star with occasional five star touches.

My stay at The Palace was recreational and was my main holiday this year, perhaps that's why I found my stay there so disappointing. I was looking forward to a week of being pampered in luxury, and what I received didn't quite live up to the hype on the hotel's website. Things didn't get off to a great start when we arrived at 11.30am to be told we couldn't check in to our rooms until 2pm. A little late I thought but that wasn't a problem, we dumped our bags and headed into St Julians for some lunch. We arrived back at the hotel at 2pm to find the whole lobby full of waiting guests. We would soon realise why, they like us were waiting for our rooms to be ready. I asked at 2pm if my room was ready, I was told they would check. The girl checked but failed to let me know when it would be ready. At 2.10pm I asked someone else, they said they would check, they also failed to let me know. At 2.20pm I asked someone else...I then proceeded to go and ask a further three times, by which point it was 3pm, I still didn't have a room and at no point did anyone I had asked let me know when my room would be ready. After getting up at 3am british time that morning, I was starting to feel less than happy. Surely after asking so many people someone should have taken the courtesy to let me know I would need to wait an hour. Had they just told me I would need to wait so long I could have gone to explore the hotel or surrounding areas further and it wouldn't have been so much of an issue. But instead I was ignored. And it is this which marks the level of service as less than five star.

Eventually, after twice being offered a smoking room instead of a non-smoking room, we made it to our room. But unfortunately the disappointment did not end there. I opened the curtains in the room only to find myself looking out on to a balcony, at the end of which was a brick wall completely obscuring any view whatsoever. In fact it made the whole room feel very dark and dingy. And, for a five star hotel to practically ignore me on arrival and then show me a room which felt more like a jail than a holiday gettaway, I was sorely disappointed. Surely even in a so-called five star hotel all rooms should be up to five star standards?

We complained and were told we could not move that day, but the following day we were moved to an other room with a glorious view across Valletta. The only down side was the noisy air conditioning which did wake us both up on a couple of occassions.

Therefore I can only conclude that this hotel is a bit of a lottery - if you arrive late afternoon and get shown a room with a view, you'll probably have a lovely stay, but beware not every one is so lucky!

The breakfast in the mornings was fine, although again it wasn't up to five star standards e.g. you couldn't request to have certain sorts of eggs or particular types of coffee like a latte or cappucino. At the five star hotels I've stayed at previously you have a chef cooking things to order for you. That may seem like a small thing but it is precisely these small things that mark out a hotel as a five star.

The hotel pools were lovely but the smaller of the two outdoor pools wasn't cleaned very regularly and had dead flies and insects in it for the whole week we were there. And the cushions on the sunloungers had seen better days.

The hotel did lay on a cocktail party one night. So we went up expecting to choose our cocktails, only to be given a choice of wine or beer. Apparently a cocktail party didn't really mean we got to choose cocktails! Again, perhaps a small thing, but it summed up the hotel - claiming to be one thing, but actually turning out to be another.

That said, we did have an amazing time in Malta. I fell in love with the country and the people and Sliema is the perfect destination if you want to be far enough out of the bustle of St Julian, but near enough to its selection of restaurants.

Also, you must head to Gozo - fabulous island, seen best by either car or as we did it - bikes! Great way to see all the small villages and bays.

So overall, had The Palace not claimed to be a five star I perhaps wouldn't have felt so disappointed in the level of service we received. But, if you claim to be five star, live up to the standards people expect. Clean the pools, don't ignore your guests and pay attention to the small details.

So would I return? To Malta - in a heart beat. To the The Palace Hotel - To be honest I would think twice...

1 Thank hk_reviews
Guildford, Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

A great stay at this wonderful hotel positioned in the heart of Sliema.

From the start of our visit, an early morning check in, to the end of our visit the service from all the hotel staff was excellant.

The room was brilliant on the 4th floor facing Valletta.

I have to agree with other comments that the roof top infinity pool and terrace was fantastic and the views particularly at night were spectacular.

The breakfast selection was very good, but the best part was being able to sit outside to eat breakfast in the fresh air.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel and we hope to return to this brilliant hotel when we visit Malta next year.

1 Thank tonkaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
The Victoria Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,336 reviews
Pebbles Boutique Aparthotel
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!