“relaxing hotel”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Reviewed 23 October 2009

I have been to many hotels in Malta and this is one of the best i have stayed , it is definaly not what i would call a 5* hotel but i did enjoy my stay . Staff was very friendly excpecially at the bar opposit reception.
We was in 254 did not have what i would call a balcany enought space only for 1 person and a chair . The view was of the street so no nice views but reading from others it could have been worse i was not faceing a brick wall. The other downside of the room was the neglect in mantience /housekeeping for a 5 * i would have excpected a lot more care of the rooms eg curtains was ripped, walls dirty and needed painting and the bathroom fittings covered in rust .
The good things about the room great size and the most comfortable bed i have ever sleep in .
Breakfast was disapointing i had stayed in the 5* raddisson in malta and there breakfast wins hands down .
Overall i did like the hotel and would definately return i paid a good price through travelrepublic.com but would have been disapointed paying the full rate .

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Revenue Manager at The Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the hotel The Palace.

We are sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during your visit. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have been caused by any shortfalls with the hotel.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to welcome you in the near future.

Reviewed 23 October 2009

We like being in real places rather than the gaudy or the flashy sea-front concrete high-rise. Tucked into Sliema's tight balconied streets, the Palace is all that it claims to be. Views from the rooftop pool are literally stunning; the Temptasian restaurant a very reasonable five star eaterie; our room was beautifully laid out with balcony access. From the moment we arrived, the staff were welcoming and helpful. ( They even arranged a taxi to pick us up rfom the airport and ensured that the cost was a reasonable 21euro. )
The bus link and the water-taxis are literally at the foot of the hill and Sliema has some restaurants. AThe island is amust for the History Buff and The Palace is the place to be.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor website.

We are pleased to learn that you appreciated the Hotel's location and that you found The Palace fit to all your requirements.
Please feel free to contact us back and we will be more than happy to advise you of the best rates available.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 20 October 2009

We’ve just returned from a 7 night stay at The Palace, and we have to say that we fear for the gold standard of a 5-star hotel, if this is the best which Sliema has to offer.

On arrival, we were allocated room 152. This is where the problems started. Despite paying for a double room, it was configured as a twin. So I popped down to reception, reported the error, and was assured that someone would be sent to our room to remedy the problem (i.e. move us to another room). Twenty minutes later, the housekeeper turned up, and amid much huffing and puffing pushed the beds together. This isn’t what we meant, but as there were clear communication issues, we left it. Not the best start.

But perhaps the buffet breakfast was the biggest disappointment. The food was covered (and I mean covered) with flies and bugs. Now, whilst we acknowledge the hotel can’t legislate for these little blighters buzzing around (I mean, it is Malta), they could have used a bit of common sense and closed the gaping wide door that lead to the outside tables. Really, it’s not rocket science. Now perhaps it’s a British thing, but I really object to insects having a go at my breakfast before I do! I decided to stick with the cereal (as this was largely covered up, and the flies seemed more interested in the “hot food”), but a search for milk proved fruitless, and so I had to improvise with a dribble left over from my coffee. After giving the buffet breakfast three days to improve, we decided to eat elsewhere (despite having pre-paid for it).

The poor standard of fittings in our bathroom was disappointing. The shower and its grabrails were covered in damp and rust – simply not good enough for a 5-star hotel, especially considering it’s less than 2 years old.

Another frustratingly negative aspect was the signposted safe emergency exit from our room. It was via the executive suite. Which was kept permanently locked.

Think we’re being overly critical? We could go on.

So we shall...

During our second effort at stomaching the buffet breakfast, one of the waiters accidently dropped a glass, causing it to shatter into 32 million pieces. Ok, so mistakes can happen. But what was unforgivable was that the hazard was just blatantly left for guests to walk through (one woman in flip flops!). Mind, the waiter did rather helpfully tell his colleagues about the broken glass, and eventually (easily 20 minutes) one of the hotel staff finally lowered themselves to clear the mess up. But only after guests has walked through it.

Frankly, these sorts of things should never happen in a five star hotel. It’s the lack of attention afforded to the details: The light in the corridor outside our room was not fixed for 5 days; coffee cups were left outside overnight beside the infinity pool; the annoying daily wake up call of housekeepers dragging furniture across the guestrooms’ tiled floors at 8.15am; the disgrace of being greeted on our first night by dirt marks on the inside of the duvet; a layer of dust on the kettle; the failure to replenish the coffee making facilities (and toilet roll) on our penultimate day. All too poor.

Oh, and then to cap it all, when we came to check out they inserted a €5 “environment charge” to our bill. When this was challenged, we were advised it was discretionary. Well folks, you don’t just add items to customers’ bills. If you had bothered to make our stay at your 5-star hotel comparable to the quality of your website, then we might have paid it. But as it is, you didn’t, so we didn’t, and we came away feeling greatly let down by the whole experience.

Don’t be tempted by the rooftop “infinity pool” (it’s not heated). It takes more than a gimmick to make a 5-star hotel. Stay elsewhere.

2  Thank dj_parkeruk

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments in this website.

We are sad to learn that you did not appreciate Sliema as the ideal location for the Hotel.

We would value the chance to restore your confidence in us and look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Palace.

Reviewed 18 October 2009

If I came back to the Valletta area I'd stay in the Hotel Phoenicia which we visited - it looks good and has very positive Trip Advisor feedback. However, if you have to stay in Sliema (which does not have a lot going on to be frank) The Palace is the place to stay. Built in 2007 it is modern, clean, has a rooftop pool, good bar ... ticks all the boxes for a super city break. My learning is that I'd rather have been based in Valletta where all the sights are walking distance away rather than relying on the ferry / bus / taxi ... so I share this for your info!

Reviewed 17 October 2009

Really nice hotel, quite new and fresh design, cool swimming pool on the roof, great view, decent location, in between of all, friendly and helpful stuff, good food by the pool, we also had a great view from our balcony, what shell I say, if are looking for the good hotel and you are not stressed with location, but more with your budget, then defenatly THE PALCE. Enjoyed my stay there!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to add your review on The Palace.

And we are glad to read that you found The Palace to be Great Value for money and 5* quality!

We look forward to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to The Palace.

Reviewed 16 October 2009

Prior to arriving the reservations lady Mandy Grima took care of everything for me, right down to the taxi service and I was flying in from Dubai. I had no problem everything was arranged and secured by the time I arrived.

As a UAE Entrepreneur and South African national, I visited the Palace solo both for leisure and business and from the day I arrived each day was a warm welcome when coming down for breakfast, my last day was a regret as I didnt feel like leaving. Upon arrival the Manager Mario made a personal visit to check if everything was satisfactory, he was attentive until the last day. My Housekeeping lady Carmen who cleaned my room was a golden star and ensured that everything was replenished daily, checked if I wanted my bedlinen changed, impeccably cleaned my room and bathroom and reassured me of anything I needed I should call her. The Spa was excellant, I had an absolutely fantastic Reiki session with the EU therapist (cant rem her name) but both the massage ladies were fantastic, so were their reccommended products which I took home with me. The Talk of Town Restaurant on the ground floor offers the most delicious steaks, with their roasted potatoes and lovely crisp fresh veggies. The rooftop Asianfusion restaurant was also excellant, service impeccable. The rooftop pool area was great to relax, people are friendly, the pool area is constantly cleaned and maintained, the bar staff attentive and finding information to get around as a tourist I had no problem sourcing this from the reception staff. Caroline the BDE was highly professional and I managed to conclude business with her. Allround I reccommend The Palace to anyone really wanting to get away from the pressures of a busy life. Being a lady travelling alone I never felt alone, even dining alone I made a few friends and enjoyed myself and I am very strict with the kind of friends I mix with, In fact, I didnt even feel like leaving the hotel as everything I needed to relax was at my beck and call. The Hotel very gratiously also provided free wireless connectivity so I could do my business in absolute comfort at no cost. The room was impeccably decorated (and here I must add I am extremely fussy with cleanliness, linen, crockery, cutlery and above all my food) however I cannot fault this hotel on anything, I have sinced signed an agreement as a client hosting my clients visiting Malta for business and leisure so that tells it all. Definately I will be back and reccommend this Hotel to any traveller wanting complete satisfaction. I did not experience any water or other problems that other travellers are complaining about so I have nothing negative to report.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank alexie62

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for placing your review on Tripadvisor following your stay at The Palace.

We are very happy to read of our successes and will continue striving towards this same direction!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to The Palace.

Reviewed 16 October 2009

The first contact with hotel Victoria was friendly and inviting, I was really looking forward to come to the hotel.
When the taxidriver braught us there (service booked by the hotel, really perfect) he mentioned that we have choossen a great hotel on a good location (not too busy).
He did not tell a lie; we' ve had a perfect stay.
The rooms were big, the staff was very friendly and the spa and swimmingpool (in combination with the Palace hotel) were excellent.
The most wonderfull experience was dinner in TemptAsian Restaurant with great views over Valletta.
So if you hesitate .... DON'T! Come and see for yourself what a nice hotel this is.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for your lovely comments which will help us in our ongoing efforts to maintain our service and product.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to The Palace.

The Hotel Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
Hilton Malta
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!