“Good care during forced extended stay”
Review of The Palace

The Palace
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Sliema
Heathrow area
“Good care during forced extended stay”
Reviewed 1 May 2010

My wife and I were stranded in Malta during the recent volcanic airspace closures over Europe. We had to spend an additional 5 days at the Palace Hotel Sliema. The hotel staff were more than helpful with extending our stay and although the price was slightly higher than our original booking there was no profiteering. All the hotel staff were really friendly and I found nothing was too much trouble for them. Our room was large and was kept spotlessly clean. The breakfast’s were good quality with lots of choice. If you get a chance you must eat in the hotel's Asian Fusion restaurant. Apart from the spectacular views the food is great. Many thanks to all at the Palace. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,014)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hawes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2010

Good hotel, great staff and gluten free bread and soy milk available at breakfast. Tempt Asian restaurant also happy to modify dishes to meet my requirements.
Made for a most relaxing stay - even when arriving after midnight.
One niggle, shower had a very fine spray (probably reasonable in a country without excess water) but controlled by a mixer, not a thermostatic control meant that it constantly fluctuated between cold and scalding!

Essex
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Have just returned from this lovely hotel, just a five day stay with my sister, but from the moment we walked into the hotel until we left we found it a complete joy. The staff were wonderful, attentive, very proffesional, without being overbearing. Breakfast was very good, lots of choice and once again the staff were lovely. The rooftop infinity pool was very nice, even had a hoist for disabled people and the indoor pool was great, with lovely comfy loungers to relax on after your sauna or swim. I have travelled extensively and stayed in many 5* hotels, but have to say the beds in the Palace were the most comfortable I have ever had the pleasure to sleep in. Overall, I would highly recommend the Palace Hotel to anyone. The hotel is a short walk downhill to the Sliema Strand where you can get a ferry across to Valletta for less than a euro or pick up one of the great Malta buses which take you anywhere for very little. We hope to return to Malta later in the year and we will book this hotel for sure.

• Stayed April 2010
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2010

The service and standard of this hotel is first class. You could not ask for a more friendly and accommodating team of staff, nothing was too much for them. We had a superior double room which was spacious, airy and very comfortable. The balcony was large with terrific views over the rooftops to Valletta. Breakfast and varied, we initially booked for room only but was offered a special deal on breakfast on arrival which was a big saving. We ate at all the restaurant with only the one at the Victoria, the sister hotel, not being up to scratch.
All in all a very enjoyable stay

hungary
Reviewed 28 April 2010

A bottle of cheap bubble wine does not make a breakfast worth 5 stars. I asked for a cappucino at breakfast, because the coffee was terrible, and was given a cup of the same horrible coffee with some steamed milk.
It took the waiter 25 minutes to find out there were new guests in the breakfast room.
This hotel is certainly not 5 stars and after the excellence of the Kempinsky hotel on Gozo a big disappointment.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Palace Hotel, Malta for four nights from 23rd April. Initially, having read the reviews I was impressed enough to book: it is rated the top hotel in Sliema, but my experience was mixed to say the least.

THE GOOD: The hotel has three fashionably styled restaurants each with varied and imaginative menus. Temptasia on the top floor has spectacular views of Sliema and the food was the best I had all weekend. The hotel also has a gym and indoor pool. It's a well styled hotel with good facilities. The beds in the room were large and comfy. The staff were polite and courtious, though, nothing above and beyond what you would expect. Breakfast was varied and plentiful - there were hot items as well as traditional continental breakfast items. There were tea making facilities in the room which was a godsend.

THE BAD: There was no water pressure in the handbasin taps which made handwashing slow going. The TV reception wasn't great. Our room was very noisy: we had a church bell that pealed every half hour into the night and the traffic was non-stop. It was warm at night but opening the balcony door wasn't an option. The bathroom was strange in that it was partitioned from the rest of the room rather than being a proper structured room so the 'walls' didn't reach the ceiling and the doors didn't reach the floor. There wasn't any privacy to be had at all.

THE UGLY: On the first night I ordered a salad from the Talk of the Town restaurant. When it came it was well below average and most of the ingredients were missing. Unfortunately I didn't realise this until I re-read the menu at a later time. The point is that if an establishment doesn't have the ingredients to create a dish (especially if it is more than three missing ingredients) isn't is normal and expected that the customer be told this? When I realised, I was shocked and really surprised that a five- star establishment would behave that way. It wouldn't occur to most people to check the menu back to make sure the dish was complete.
I am also now missing a pair of shoes. We were in the process of checking out when I remembered I hadn't packed them. When I went back to the room (twice) I didn't find my shoes. I searched the room from top to bottom but they weren't there. The room hadn't been cleaned yet so they hadn' t been thrown away. They had been removed. I would advise anyone staying at this hotel to use the free safe and keep the lock on their cases while they are using the room. I shudder to think what more I might have 'lost' if I hadnt.

This hotel looks the part but I think its a case of style over substance. I have stayed in five-star hotels before and The Palce has a fair way to go before I would consider them anything other than a four-star establishment.

Malta
Reviewed 26 April 2010

The hotel is situated in the heart of Sliema, few mins away from the centre of the most vast shopping area in Malta. Since I love shopping , I loved the fact that I could go to the shops whilst my partner and daughter spent some time together in the indoor pool. My 1yr old daughter loved the pool.

We were on a bb basis and the breakfast buffet was fantastic. A lot of food to choose from and excellent service. We've also tried the asian restaurant and it was excellent. The food was really good, excellent service and very nice atmosphere.

We were also very impressed by the rooms. Very modern, decorated nicely and very spacious. Besides we had a very nice view.

The whole experience was very enjoyable. I really recommend to visit this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank theagabriella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sliema
Hilton Malta
#12 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#9 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to The Palace? Share your experiences!