“Our best meal of the trip”
Review of Al Mare - CLOSED

Al Mare
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Our very best meal of the trip....and in a shopping center of all places. When in Salvador you expect good restaurants in the city, on the beach or in the Historical Old city but not on a shopping center. We got here by accident since we were told of an excellent Japanese restaurant located in Shopping Salvador. We never found that one but did go to this restaurant. In Salvador very few people speak English so we were surprised the Floor manager not only found us a table but spoke English. Then the chef, Fabricio Lemos came over and introduced himself and took our order since he spoke very good English and had lived in the US for 14 years. Then the real surprise....the food was amazing.....we shared a version of Calamari which also had shrimp and other delights from the Sea. I had a dish of Moqueca....incredible. I had tried this dish three times while on this trip and this was by far the best.......I highly recommend this lace even if it is in a shopping center.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I was surprised to read the poor reviews. I visited there in May 2012 and had a wonderful meal. So I went back in December but it was closed; I was not surprised as there did not appear to be any tables inside when I first visited. Should I ever visit Malta again I will give it another go. My only beef would be that, because the tables were outside on the quayside, I had to suffer the smokers. When will pubs and restaurants provide no-smoking areas for non-smokers and well away from the stinky smokers - after all, we are the majority now!!!

Reviewed 30 September 2012

We chose this restaurant as it looked to be of a higher standard based on the size of the restaurant and the fact that there were upolstered red chairs and white cotton table cloths (as apposed to the plastic garden furniture that you find in the other tourist trap restaurants on the seafront in Malta).

On a positive note let me start by saying we were seated quickly which is not always a given in Malta for some reason.

The first warning sign we should have noted was when we asked the maitre 'd if they had any specialities or if anything was particularly good he said "no they only have what was on the menu".

The second warning sign was when we ordered a bottle of Chianti he asked us "that's a red isn't it?"

I then got my stuffed calamari (after everybody else at the table who had to wait before they started eating theirs) which was stuffed with what appeared to be tinned shredded tuna it was still cold inside. I told the waiter this and did not receive an apology or any acknowledgement that a mistake was made. When I got it back the second time it was still cold inside although the sauce was piping hot. I can only surmise he probably stuck it in the MICROWAVE.

My friends didn't do much better and had the tuna which did not arrive with the potatoes as promised but was dry and clearly not fresh.

We told the maitre 'd that the food was not great all around and all he did was give us the typical SHOULDER SHRUG that I have come to know well. We informed him that my meal was still cold after he brought it back the second time (still no acknowledgement or remorse for the mistake) and that the tuna was tasteless and dry. Astonishingly he then agreed that the tuna is usually dry there!!!

So basically the attitude was " well you ordered it, you pay for it, even though it was bad because we don't care if you come back". The food including my (?microwave) calamari was horrendous and I would have done better making a sandwhich at home. The service was also terrible and only reinforced the irritation of having to pay for the terrible food.

1  Thank Poodle271
Reviewed 12 September 2012

On our last night in Malta, we wanted to have our dinner somewhere outside with a view of Valletta, somewhere unpretentious with simple food. Al Mare suited us very well. It is beautifully situated at the little harbour at the Valletta waterfront and the menu, surprisingly extensive, offered a good choice of dishes. My catch of the day was delicious and my husband thoroughly enjoyed his chicken dish. We had friendly, personal service from the owner, Anthony, and enjoyed our evening in a memorable, romantic setting. Like all meals in Malta, the dinner cost more than we expected to pay, especially at a very basic, unadorned establishment as this one, but the rare setting made it worthwhile.

1  Thank Jeanne B
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Like another contributor we should have been warned we got a table for 4 so easily with all adjacent restaurants packed.

Waiter downright ignorant and grumpy despite our efforts to overwhelm with politeness

Food very poor , mussels amounted to 4 in the pasta dish.

Veal poor ad served without any veg

Soft drinks were coke flavoured ( mildly) water and diluted orange masquerading as come and fanta

Ordered Lae Valette wine but got an Italain which was €6 dearer but just couldn't be bothered complaining

Until I was told when paying the bill that the CC machine was not working so only cash

€ 79.59 for 4 which was overpriced , undercooked , unde presented and a rip off -

I offered no tip and to be honest would have argued with them but couldnt be bothered as it would ruin our vacation

DO NOT GO HERE