“Amazing Gourmet Food”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2014

If you want a unique experience with modern, gourmet cuisine, please go to Il-Horza. Do not go here expecting traditional Maltese food. Il-Horza is a very small restaurant and was difficult to find but I am so happy I did not give up my search. The interior is very rustic and old world looking - definitely a nice place for an intimate or romantic meal. The few tables were filled with happy patrons enjoying delicious meals. I would recommend a reservation during dinner to guarantee a table.

Bernice, our waitress, was very friendly, helpful, attentive, and had wonderful recommendations for food and wine. The menu changes often (a sign of excellent food and rotating meals with seasons and availability of the best ingredients) so it is difficult to give recommendations on what to order. I had the pork tenderloin. It was delicious but paled in comparison to the pork belly it was served with. The veal cutlet was not a veal cutlet but in fact an entire bone-in chop that was perfectly cooked. The meats were served on celeriac/potato puree (it was so creamy) and with some roasted vegetables on the side. A little mini cast iron pot was brought to the table and un-lidded to reveal deliciously crispy potatoes.

I wish I had not cleaned my plate and saved room for dessert - the cheese platter looked amazing. We were brought a shot of limoncello at the end (first time I ever had it) and it was the perfect and most refreshing way to end the meal.

Thank you Bernice and everyone at Il-Horza for a fantastic dinning experience!

2  Thank Gabriella M

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I recently reviewed Carter's restaurant in Moseley, Birmingham in the UK which is well on the way to deserving Michelin Star status, and here we go again. What a great little restaurant this is. The chef has a genius for flavour combinations. The food was superb, absolutely fantastic. Ok we paid over 150 euros for three people including wine but it is, without doubt, worth every penny. Go there! spoil yourself. Recommend that you book ahead as only a limited number of covers.

1  Thank Critica l
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We celebrated our 40th anniversary in Il Horza and we were very impressed by the quality of the food and the personal attention from the owner. We learned a lot about wine and the recommendation turned out to be an excellent choice. The service was great and not hurried; just the way we like it. This is one of the very best restaurants in Malta and we will definitely be back.

1  Thank Moodyblue5000
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Dining at Il-Horza is a magical and special experience. This is the right and unique place where you can organize a dinner for many occasions with guaranteed satisfaction. Every single person I introduced this restaurant was extremely happy about the food, service, and the atmosphere. This is definitely a hidden gem in Malta.

2  Thank Claudio C
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent food. Short menu which reflects all they're good at. Starter was delicious even though petit cuisine. Veal was the best I ever had.

1  Thank Chris A