“Excellent lunch”

Ambrosia
Ranked #53 of 227 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Darlington
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

This is a gem of a resturant. Menu reflects the products in season and ingredents are freshly sourced and prepared. There was four of us, two wanted monkfish but they only had one portion, the owner phoned the fish supplier up to see if anymore had been landed!! All the meals were lovely the soufflé in particular was excellent as a starter and the fresh asparagus delicious, everything was well prepared and served and the staff were lovely service was good. Well worth a visit.

Visited April 2014

• Czech first
  • Turkish first
Cumbria
“My faith in Maltese cuisine has been restored!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

When I first visited Malta in 1990 the food in Malta seemed to be mainly 'crab sticks, pasta and pizzas', but its cuisine is coming along slowly, and I now have a small number of restaurants I revisit on my increasingly frequent trips since 2011. This year I was so pleased to find Ambrosia in Valletta; next to The Pub. I was so well looked after by the owner and his staff, the bread was far too good, the food excellent and the wine to my taste. The only problem is that the board with the menu of the day was out of my sight, so I had to stand near some other diners, something I dislike doing as it is so intrusive and I hate it when it happens to me, or had to listen to the staff tell me what's on that day - difficult to assimilate. I got there in the end, but it was hassle, and perhaps printing off the short menu daily would not take much time and cost little. I do like good food, and have a limited taste for wine, but to me the ambiance of the restaurant is the most important thing; here it was excellent. Best to book, I would think, as it's not that big. And good value for money too.

• Visited February 2014
Bromley, Kent UK
“Excellent restaurant and wonderful food.”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to this lovely restaurant. Last year I came with my daughter. This year I'm here with my husband and we've just experienced an excellent dinner. We both had the asparagus and the veal Milanese - delicious. It was washed down with an excellent Maltese house red. It's a small restaurant so,I would advise booking ahead.
Thank you we will be back.

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic Maltese Cuisine”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Yes, it does seem to have a bit of a "door policy" so it'll pay to book.

The rewards are however worth it. A small daily chalked up menu of surprises yields a great deal of culinary enjoyment. So sit back take a few risks on the more unfamiliar dishes and enjoy some of the more unusual flavours of Malta.

Barrie, Canada
“Very good food but appalling service”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This restaurant was recommended and certainly the food was very good. However, that is the only positive comment: having reserved a table several days ahead we were shown to a table then stopped and questioned about our booking by the same person who took the reservation as he was reluctant to give that table away- not very welcoming. The menu was written on a board not visible to all diners and little effort was made to explain it. Each of us ordered starters and mains, understanding that there is a different price if a selection is made as a main (15 rather than 9 Euros). We were surprised to see the small size of one of the main dishes. We asked if it was a starter or a main and the same host who questioned us earlier barked "main" and walked away. We were genuinely surprised as portions are usually good in Valletta restaurants and most restaurateurs are anxious to please and provide additional advice and food if requested. We discovered when the bill was brought that we were charged for a starter size but by that time the lack of courteous conversation discouraged further clarification. The service (sic) was at best perfunctory and quickly moved to downright rude. During our stay we went to 10 restaurants in Valletta and had very pleasant, friendly and professional service in all except this one.

• Visited April 2014