“Cosy atmosphere is not enough”
Review of Trattoria Palazz - CLOSED

Trattoria Palazz
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This cellar housed restaurant is just to the side of the tables of Cafe Cordina between the Parliament House and the Public Library and the Courts. It has traditional Maltese cuisine.
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The place appears cosy and the waiter is friendly, however it takes to long before the food arrives and then it's average at best. One could assume it would be well prepared taking so long, it isn't the case. So despite a cosy atmosphere it's a dissapointment.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I visited this place a few times when I was in Malta a couple of years ago, and upon my return to Valetta a few months ago, went here again. I always get a bit nervous having had such excellent dining experiences, then to return few years later (particularly if there have been some intervening bad TripAdvisor reviews in the meantime). I shouldn't have worried! It was just as excellent as last time I visited. Great, friendly, amusing service, homey cosy no-frills but tasty food, just great overall. It was super hot on the evening we came, so all the tables were on the pavement, and it was super windy, but our waiter (who is a permanent fixture here all these years and speaks at least dozen of languages) made it quite a dining experience and we had a lot of fun. Facing onto the Treasury, and the adjoining square all lit up, it is such an excellent location, add to that great food, I really enjoy coming here. I will most certainly come again upon my return to this wonderful island.

1  Thank l-globetrotter
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I were there these days. Arrived at 8.30pm. Place empty. The offerend in the menu the local dishes "Bragioli" and "Rabbit". I wanted to order one ot them. The waiter told me ... they both runned out during lunch time. Preparing time of them is 3 hours, because of stew recipes. I asked how do they Saltimboca Romana ... salvia, wine sauce? Yes. It was without saliva and with a bad cream sause ... done with old oil. All dishes served with potatos and vegetable. I ask for having only vegetable instead of potatos. Answer: we will bring both, you can share it with your friend. The vegetable looks very, very fresh but also done is bad old oil .... we both had problems. I had diarrhoea til next morning, my friend had push ups with the taste of the oil. MY friend ordered a fillet steak. This was very good. My friend wanted to order a nice bottle of wine, can I get the wine list. Answer: Sorry, we dont ve a wine list, we do have over 150 wines, come and look at out wine storage what you like. He only wanted to have a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, doesnt matter from what country. Answer: Sorry, we dont have Sauvignon Blanc. We had then a bottle of Chenin Blanc. ... I m coming here to Malta several times a years since more then 20yrs. Whole Malta likes Sauvignon Blanc! During we ve had our bad dinner no. 3 and 4 of guests arrived. A couple, east European looking. He ordered fillet steak and for she a whole fish. I was looking at her, when she was starting eating. With the first cut in to the fish, she stoped and told to her husband, sorry, what a smell, I cant eat it. They called the waiter, the started discussing and went down with his nose in front of the lady until the plate. After some sentences he took it back, later she got another fillet steak. My friend and I, we both used the bathroom .... what a smell ... like they have pumped the smell of the old oil through the toilet. Our result, after we have being there before, some years ago ... "free fall in there quality and service".

1  Thank Hape F
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I've had to give this restaurant 1/5 as Trip Advisor doesn't accept the 0/5 it deserves. I ordered the sea bream and was told it came filleted in a cream and herb sauce. I double checked this again as both myself and a friend who had ordered the same did not want to have a whole fish to deal with. We ordered just before 8.30 and by 10pm had still got got our main course despite people (who were clearly friends of the staff) having arrived after us having finished a 3 course meal by then. After a lot of chasing and lame excuses from the staff we finally got our main course. The 2 sea bream dishes coming out as whole fish which with no sauce whatsoever. I was so upset I spoke to the chef about this (the waiter having disappeared) and his response was to sneer at me saying ' what's the matter with you - don't you like seeing a whole fish on your plate'. I cannot believe I paid him anything for this and regret doing so now. This restaurant needs to close.

1  Thank camval
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Just back from a great four day break in Valletta with a group of twelve. Unfortunately our final meal was in this dreadful restaurant. The food was average to poor with prices as high as in other far superior restaurants and the service was so slow two of the group left after two hours when there was no sign of our main courses. Eventually we were served - several of us getting other than we had ordered. We agreed between us a very generous price we were prepared to pay - rather lass than the bill - gave it to the proprietor and left 31/2 hours after we arrived

1  Thank David B