“Excellent location ,great staff and an excellent bed !”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 10 August 2011

If you want a city based hotel in Malta you would be hard pressed to beat this one.:It is situated in fabulous gardens next to the main city gate. The bus terminus ( 2 euro 60 for a day pass for the whole island ! ) with its modern air-conditioned fleet did away with the necessity for our usual car hire. In addition the hotel runs a free mini-bus daily to a beautiful bay in the north (25 mins ) which you must book through the concierge.. The staff are very attentive and the rooms although not the largest we have stayed in are well serviced ( 2 times a day ) . The bathroom had first class products and the super-king bed was superb. Renovation of the hotel has been completed on floor s 3 & 4 though not 1&2 and some guests thought the makeover here was overdue. .All in all a classic hotel .

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NorwichNigel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,314)

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Firstly, the hotel builiding and decor very elegant and luxurious. The gardens are beautiful and well worth a stroll. The location is very convenient, it is about a 2/3 minute walk from the bus station, the buses are a great value option for travelling around the rest of the island. It is also on the doorstep of the centre and old part of Valletta which is very nice for shopping and going out at night. I stayed on a B&B basis and the champagne breakfast was excellent, both continental and traditional Irish/British options are available, all served on the terrace. They have a good variety and I'm sure there's something to suit all tastes. I can be a light sleeper and when I arrived, my room was a little noisy, my friend mentioned this to the staff and without hesitation, or at any extra cost they offered me a different room in another part of the building. I thought this was excellent service and was delighted, top marks for customer service! Like any hotel of this standard it might be above some budgets, but if you can splash out, it's well worth it!

Room Tip: Try the fruit for breakfast!
2  Thank itchyfeet1984
Reviewed 5 August 2011

from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the staff could'nt have done anymore to make our stay special, everything from the bedrooms, bar, restaurant, pool and all the other facilities were excellent, I would highly recommend anyone that is going to Valletta to stay here, as its right in the centre and you can walk to most places - FANTASTIC :)

Room Tip: all rooms newly decorated
2  Thank jojo187045
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed with our family in this hotel. Its a nice hotel with a lot of history. The rooms are good but a but keep in mind thats a classic hotel. The most wonderfull of the hotel is the garden and at the end the swimmingpool. Just beautiful.
The inside of the hotel is classic and the staff is very helpfull. The breakfast is great !
Its located right next to the place where all the lovely old yellow busses are stopping. And just a short walk into the historic beautifull center of Valetta.

Room Tip: Try to het a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Musis
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This was our first visit to the island and we were not disappointed.The Phoenicia's excellent location provides easy access to the city of Valletta whilst providing a peaceful retreat.The hotel is very relaxed and all the members of staff we encountered were extremely helpful and friendly.The Phoenicia is a great introduction to a lovely island and its people.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hazel029
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The Phoenicia is a charming, gracious hotel with a lot of history. The accomodations are lovely and updated without losing a sense of tradition. It is very well located right outside the city walls of Valletta. The staff is exceptionally helpful and pleasant. The concierges are professional and a pleasure to deal with. Breakfast on their terrace is a delicious, with very nice views. There is free wifi which is very helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

2  Thank iecgrpme
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Having come recommended from my Mum and Dad who stayed here in 2008 for a week I was looking forward to this holiday. However if I am honest I was doubful it would live up to the very high praise they gave it. I was wrong....

From the very first time I contacted the hotel to the day we checked out the level of service was just excellent. The minute you walk through the door there is a real feel of quality about the place, not just in terms of the surroundings but also with the staff.

On day 1 I asked if we could upgrade to a different room (not because there was any issue with ours but) because having seen Mum and Dad's we wanted a Balcony. I believe I spoke to the Front of House Manager who could not have been more helpful. He moved us the next day to a fabulous room and despite the fact we were happy to pay for the upgarde the Manager would not hear of it.

The older rooms are somewhat tired and basic but are none the less kept in good order and are exceptionally clean. Once bought up to the standard of some of the already refurbed rooms this hotel will be hard to beat in terms of accommodation in my opinion.

Breakfast both in terms of food quality/choice and service 10/10. Bar service also excellent though if I am honest I did think the cost of Beers and Wines were a little high, even for a hotel of this calibre.

Restaurants - we ate both in the Brassrie and main restaurant and if I were to have an issue here it would be around lack of choice and what I felt were 'over overpriced' meals/service. I don't think either offers great value for money and do think the hotel is missing a trick here as often we found these heavily under used. We ate out a lot of the time and the nearest restaurants are a good 10 minute walk way. Not far I know but if the hotel were to address this I do feel a lot of people would use these facilities more.

Pool and Garden 11/10. The best I have ever seen (and I go abroad quite a lot). The only thing I would point out here was that whislt in the main the service was very good indeed there were times (depending on who was working) when the quality of service tailed off quite heavily. Where this became slow and at times I was made to feel I was almost interrupting the staff.

In terms of location this could not be better. A very short walk to the buses and just 3-4 mins to the entrance to the city where shops, restaurants etc. are all located.

Overall I would reommend the Phoenicia to anyone. This hotel appears to benefit from an exceptionally strong management structure which seems to filter across the whole operation. There is no doubt that it's biggest assets are it's staff but the surroundings and general ambience all went to make a fantastic holiday for us.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank NTucker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#2 of 15 in Valletta
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!