“Nicest place to stay in Malta.”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 5 September 2011

It's definitely the grand old dame of Malta hotels, though there have clearly been recent and largely successful attempts to freshen it up. The 3rd floor rooms where we stayed have been very nicely renovated - fabulous beds, functional bathrooms, attractive new decor. We spent a lot of time at the beautifully situated pool area (even if it is a fair walk from the hotel but through lovely hotel gardens), with good loungers, good little pool bar/restaurant, and great harbour/Sliema views. We only had breakfast at the hotel and it's pretty standard 4* breakfast buffet fare, on a nice open air patio.

The downsides? Just the small things that a true 5* would get right: providing adequate amounts of complimentary bottled water in the room each day given the tap water is not drinkable, free wi-fi in the rooms and isn't only available in the lounge, apologising to guests for a false-alarm 7am fire drill on a Sunday morning, not bumbling uncomfortably about checking-in a same-sex couple. They're all small details, but they're what make a great hotel great. As such, the Phoenicia is at best a 4*, but it's still pretty much all the hotel you'll want and need for a good time in Valletta.

Room Tip: 3rd floor has been renovated, not sure if 1st and 2nd floors have yet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 September 2011

I had visited Malta for a week in February, 2011, and was so taken by the country and her people, I returned a month later, for another 5 days! Wish I'd gone for more, but I'll return again and again.
On my first visit, with a dear friend who was celebrating his 70th birthday, we'd taken advice from another friend, who was familiar with Malta, and has a place on Gozo. He had recommended the Fortina Spa Resort in Sliemma. For a modern hotel, it was very acceptable, and has great restaurants, which enable you to stay in the confines of the hotel. But the Island and her people are so welcoming, it is a pity to limit oneself to the hotel.
The friend I was travelling with in Feb. had friends staying at the Phoenicia, so we went to meet them and see the hotel. I was blown away! One of my favourite hotels in Jerusalem, my home of over 38 years, is the King David Hotel, which recently celebrated 75 years as a hotel. The Phoenicia could be it's mate. The layout is totally different, to be sure, but the feel of a 'Grand Dame' hotel, is the same. I would put the Pera Palace hotel in Istanbul in the same group, though it is not nearly as well kept up as the Phoenicia or the King David.
The lobby is impressive; the bar even more so. The dining room is truly grand; the food superb. The rooms are very well appointed, and the bathrooms wonderful, while a tad dated. But it is not so much dated, as 'period', and everything works well.
The service, like everywhere in Malta in my experience, is wonderful, personal and from the heart. I had two problems when I checked in: 1. my minisafe didn't work; 2. my window opened out on a 3 foot wide ledge on the hotel's facade, which gave access to all the rooms on that level and side, and the window lock was broken. I first called down about the safe; it was replaced in less than 5 minutes. Then, a few minutes later, I again 'bothered' the staff over the window lock, requesting that they cut me a piece of two by four to block the opening of the window by someone on the ledge. Within 2 minutes, the same amiable gentleman who'd brought the safe, unscrewed the screw tethering it to the floor, and tethered the new safe in its place, had arrived to see what he could do. He laughed as he immediately understood the simplicity and utility of my request, went away after rechecking my measurements (I carry a measure with me), and returned within 5 minutes with my window block. He'd asked me why I was worried; I said I was Israeli, and we ALWAYS worry about security. He answered that unfortunately I was justified, but he hoped that I'd feel safe in Malta (I did and do, but as they say in rural Ireland, "to be sure, to be sure").
Nothing was too hard for the staff to do, whether in helping me with these small problems, or helping me keep my religious dietary prohibitions on pork products and shellfish, or helping me find antique shops and art dealers to go searching for treasures all over Malta.
Truthfully, I found NO staff at any place I visited on Malta or Gozo, who were not totally dedicated to helping me enjoy their beautiful little islands. I can not recommend Malta enough (Gozo is part of the country of Malta).
My room was not as large as I'd have liked, but quite acceptable; I'd got a bargain rate and didn't feel I could complain over the size. In future, I'll stress a larger room when booking, and pay any difference if there is such.
Helena, at the reception (who'd helped me get the great rate, since I'd been referred to her by the friends who'd stayed there before) told me that they would have happily moved me to a bigger room, if I'd asked (I'd mentioned that I was a bit claustrophobic while I was checking out; inter alia, she asked the size of my bedroom at home; I explained that my bedroom in Jerusalem was 16 ft X 16.5 ft, with a 10 ft ceiling; but in my summer home in Ireland, 17 ft X 23 ft. with a 12 ft. ceiling).
In closing, I love the Phoenicia and plan to stay there whenever I'm in the Valletta area. While Mdina is less than half an hour away by car, and I also love the Xara Palace hotel, I prefer to stay locally. If I want to wander Valletta, the Three Cities, etc, I'll stay in the Phoenicia; if I want to visit Mdina, Rabat (next door, literally) and that area, I'll stay at the Xara Palace. In each place, one can get around on foot, and feel like a local.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable; some larger and some smaller. Check windows' lockability if the l...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank BunclodySenator
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We went for a family wedding and had a wonderful time. We had a room with balcony overlooking the harbour, stunning. Some rooms do not have balconys and that would certainly be a disadvantage. The breakfasts were excellent, great varity and as much as you wanted. The reception and the foyer, elegant and cool. The pool area is a short walk from the hotel through lovely gardens, again marvelous views.

2  Thank UandB
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We got a good rate to come here 15th to 21st July on a cheap Ryan Air flight from Dublin.

Two of the newly refurbished family rooms with interconnecting for kids. It's been a couple of years since we last visited but the place still looks splendid. The rooms were very well presented upon arrival, and nicely chilled with the 40 degrees outside temperature. Breakfast has not changed and still a massive treat each morning with fresh fruit juice, continental or belly buster cooked breakfast with all the trimmings!
We embarrassed ourselves and engaged in the ball room dancing one night in the beautiful palm lounge after the Manager's drinks party - all a bit of fun!! The Club bar also has a lovely old colonial feel to it.

One other thing we noticed was that the bus terminal has been moved from outside the hotel to further down the road (200 meters) towards Valetta, and they have a brand new fleet of busses operated by Aviva which represented great value for money for inexpensive trips departing and arriving within close proximity of the hotel

We ate twice in Pegasus which presented good pasta dishes and burgers for the kids. We also tried the main restaurant, on Sunday for the bar-be-qu and ate like kings on the veranda. We also tried an old favourite - La Vechia Dogana which is beside the old customs house, down by the sea. This has changed hands we understand. i know this because on the first night the food was so bad I asked the manager if it was a different owner. There was nobody in it and some of the deserts were stale so avoid at all costs if you are wise. I very much doubt this place will be going next year which is a shame as it use to be very good.
We also had lunch 3 days by the pool - the tuna fish was cooked to perfection and the pool had everything that we needed, drinks, ice cream for the kids, showers and jacuzzi.
A good holiday with polite staff who even came to our rooms at 7pm daily for turn down.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank minceonmonday
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We had a great time in Malta and our trip was made extra special by staying at this Hotel. The rooms were spotless and the view from our room over the harbour was fantastic. The breakfast was second to non and we ate breakfast each morning outside.

The drinks reception in the magnificent bar/lounge on the Wednesday evening was a nice touch and we followed this with a meal in the Pegasus Bistro.

ALL staff were polite and efficient. A particular mention must go to Sebastian who made us extremely welcome and was helpful whenever we needed him.

3  Thank EastYorkshireJon
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We were back at the Phoenicia for the third year running, having previously visited in mid-July (too hot, even for us coming from the Middle East) & last year in May. Weather was perfect this time, especially as it allowed us to breakfast each morning outside on the terrace. Food as usual was very good, although we felt there was not as much choice from the buffet as in the previous years.

Choose a room with a balcony if you can. This year we were in a corner room, which gave us two balconies, which was even better. The air conditioning works fine, once you get the hang of the temperature control, even if it does protest at times. Beds are extremely comfortable & the rooms kept very clean (thank you house keeping).

What's special about the Phoenicia, is the people working there. You feel at home from the time you arrive, until the time you have to leave - & yes, like everyone, it's nice to be remembered from the last visit. From the front desk/reception/concierge, through to the girls serving coffee to us at breakfast - everyone took time to talk with you & at times to have a really good laugh. It was just a pity that the reception desk area renovation puppet show could'nt take place - but c'est la vie!

In the end, it all depends what you expect out of a hotel. If you're looking for comfort & a relaxing friendly environment where you can unwind, you will have to go a long way to beat the Phoenicia - for us, "la Grande Dame" of Valletta.

Finally, our thanks to everyone of you working there for giving us three memorable holidays.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Falen6
Reviewed 25 August 2011

The hotel is in very good condition, excellent rooms and very good service. The breakfast was really very good, and the location (just outside the city gate and by the bus station) excellent. Swimming pool is a short walk through nice gardens and very well set up for just soaking up the sun. Bed was especially good, very comfortable and very nice linen.

Would very definitely stay there again.

4  Thank wismageorge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#2 of 15 in Valletta
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!