“Brilliant hotel - would come back”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

What a great hotel, we are so pleased we stayed here. We had read good reviews on Trip Advisor and we were not left disappointed. Check in was good, rooms were good, the hotel bar was great and served great cocktails. Location was excellent in the heart of Valietta which was great for exploring the city

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone who wants a classy good value hotel in the heart of the city, offering great service and great surroundings.

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank clare1309
There are newer reviews for The Phoenicia Malta

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Thanks for a really nice stay in your hotel the 10th-17th of april 2012.room 104. Our 4th stay since 2010 and hopefully there will be more stays. The reason why we are returning time after time is the staff in the hotel. They are very nice and helpful and they take their time to speak to you. The beds have very good sleeping quality.it´s clean, It´s good situated next to the bus stop. The breakfast ist great. Nice veranda to sit at during summertime. The garden and the pool area is nice and the pool is heated ,all year round :). Perfect for us . We also try to recomend this hotel to family members and to friends. Best Regards Marie & Peter.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony
1  Thank MarieandPeter
Reviewed 4 May 2012

On April 10th, when I checked in I confirmed as follows,
On April 12th, I'll take KM612, leaving 8.35 to Rome.
Then I check out at 6.00 a.m. and take a taxi to the airport.
To make sure I asked a wakeup call at 5.00 a.m.
But there was no wakeup call.
I myself couldn't sleep well at that night and waked up around 3.00 a.m.
And I didn't go to bed again.
It helped to be in time to take the flight.
I claimed your people and he said it's a failure of automatic wakeup call system.
My journey was just started from Apr. 8th and was going back to Japan on Apr. 25th.
On that day, I was going to San Marino via Rome.
If I miss that flight, all my schedule was upset.
If so, how do you compensate?
A wakeup call is very important to keep your reliability.
I advise you that you improve, check and test the system thoroughly.
Except the above everything was good.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Tadahiro H
CharlesGM, General Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear Tadahiro H
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent saty at Phoenicia. I would also like to offer my sincere apologies for what happened on your departure. We apprecited that wake up calls are a very important element of the service level in ervey hotel.

The fault with the automatic wake up call system has been fixed and we have also asked our telephone system supplier to recommend solutions for a backup when the system fails.

I am pleased to note that otherwise you were otherwise pleased with the rest of your stay.

Kind regards
Charles Azzopardi

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Very conveniently situated at the entrance to Valletta old city with the bus station within 2 minutes walk, so it's great for exploring and very convenient for eating out. It's a pleasant large old style hotel with many types of room. We had a classic plus with a view over the Grand harbour. The pool is quite a walk to the bottom of the large garden. The breakfast is excellent. The water is not drinkable in Malta - the hotel gives you a complimentary bottle of water upon arrival then you have to buy it! I would expect a 5 star hotel to provide a bottle each day.

Room Tip: To get a modernised room select the classic plus upwards so you are on the third floor. Ensure you h...
4  Thank NovaTravels-net
Reviewed 1 May 2012

There is something rather charming in this slightly faded beauty. Certainly, the grounds could use a bit of TLC, but they're still lovely as is... a bit like Sleeping Beauty turned in for the night about 20 years ago. The standard rooms are nice--but not quite 5 star. From what I understood, the upper floors were a real notch up. The bathroom, on the other hand, was really quite nice. Breakfast was sufficient and hearty, best if you can snag a seat on the terrace with the lovely view. The pool is lovely with a beautiful view over the harbor--just be sure to get there early enough for a lounger: it's quite popular. There is an air of the old Empire that clings to the place, but in a rather hazy and comfortable way, rather than stuffy or dusty. Definitely has character. I'm sorry I wasn't there for tango night!
The staff were absolutely charming: I think they found it puzzling that I was travelling alone, and felt like they had to take care of me. I found the service truly kind and helpful, with a lot of good advice and coddling.
The location is very convenient for a jaunt into Valletta or down to the harbor.

Room Tip: If you don't mind spending extra, go for the upper floors.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank PouletteParis
Reviewed 30 April 2012

the phoenicia is still a glamorous choice for cultural tourism as well as for relaxing. great rooms (with tiles - not one of these horrible carpets!), balconies that open towards the sea or valletta, a really great and professional service and a nice little pool. great garden!! perfect to hang around if you want also to relax (sleeping, reading...). great breakfast, too only the restaurants are a bit overpriced. all the grandness of an old luxury hotel - and, yes, it's old. there is some need for tolerance (e.g. over one or another broken tile in the bathroom) - but still full of charme.

Room Tip: go for the corner suites and ask for tiled floors
3  Thank eli m
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I booked this hotel very last minute, and in the end, had a very good experience. My first room had a toilet that did not work, and although I booked a "Harbor view suite" for 209 Euros, was given a 3rd floor room with two twin beds squished together (as was my friend), and the carpet outside the room in the hallway was soaked-- likely from the leaky toilet. My friend's room was the same-- harbor view with two twin beds squished together-- and much smaller than the website would have you believe. However, due to the toilet issue, I was put on the 4th floor, which was a world of difference. The room seemed much more spacious, full length doors that opened to the wrought iron mini balcony, an actual queen bed and I ended up getting one of the best night sleep ever. Awoke to sweeping vistas Valetta. The hotel is extremely conveniently located to Valetta-- a 10 minute walk to the heart of the downtown.

There is free parking. The internet is NOT free unless you are in the lobby, and even the pay-for-use internet was shoddy- the signal was too weak that I could not use it. Oh well, I would have been mad if I had actually needed it.

The lobby and restaurant are very classy-- a bit less modern, more aging, but the food in the nicer restaurant was delicious. I would stay here again for sure, but I would make sure to get a room on the 4th floor with an actual queen bed. As a side note, I dropped something under the bed, and was scared to look under the bed- but it was surprisingly very clean. My entire 4th floor room I thought was quite clean.

Room Tip: Beware of Harbor view rooms on the 3rd floor that have two singles squished together to make the ill...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank pc_seattle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#2 of 15 in Valletta
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!