The Phoenicia Malta
Cancelon
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
2,433 results
All reviewsclub barthe palm courtphoenix restaurantthe businfinity poolgrand old ladyold world charmpublic roomselegant hotelmain restaurantold stylecity gatea harbour view roomstar hotelbuilding workmain gatewithout exception
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Our stay here was somewhat overshadowed by the fact that when our group of 12 checked in they told 4 of our party that they'd have to stay at another hotel in Sliema (a ferry trip across the harbour or long bus journey away). The staff did eventually locate all our party in the hotel but weren't overly friendly about doing so. Possibly 'persuaded' to take action by mutterings amongst our group of intended Trip Advisor reviews. Very poor and unnecessary stress on us given we'd all booked 3 months in advance and secured the bookings with credit cards.

Most of us were also placed in rooms that were of a lower standard than the ones booked. i.e. harbour view turned into car park view and some were not spacious. Our room had a balcony but it was tiny - 2 chairs and a tiny table which one had to remove to get into the chairs.

The pool area was very nice, as were the gardens. It was also a great location as the main Valletta bus station was literally outside the door with buses going just about everywhere every few minutes for only €2.60 per person per day.

We didn't eat in the hotel as €17.50 for breakfast seemed pricey as we only wanted a coffee and pastizzi (recommended local delicacy). These we got from one of the many excellent cafes about 5-10 minutes walk away in the main town street. The evening meals were also a lot and didn't have such a good ranking on Trip Advisor so we ate in town and had some fabulous meals at some of the top 10 TA recommendations.

I was pleased that the wifi worked in our room. I think this might have been luck as we were second floor and maybe central over the main lounge so got a decent signal. Otherwise one had to pay extra to get wired connection on the room which I thought was poor for a hotel of this standard who are charging a lot for their rooms. In 2012 all hotels of this standard should be providing Internet access for free in rooms in my opinion.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank camval
Reviewed 30 October 2012

This was our first visit to Malta and chose this hotel primariliy because of its superb location next to the city walls and all its attractions. Hotel was spotless throughout and all staff very welcoming and friendly. Unfortunately ur room was without a view and if you are planning to stay in your room for some time a harbour view would be well worth the extra cost. That said the room was bright,spacious and well appointed and spotless.
The breakfast was great with a good choice and quality. You could even partake in a glass or 2 of fizz. The bar areas were lovely and having a drink on the terrace before venturing out for the night a highlight of our stay .
What the hotel may lack in modern facilities it makes up with its old world charm and excellent staff.

Room Tip: Obviously a balcony with a harbour view
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My parents took me here 45 years ago for afternoon tea and they always said it was the best hotel in the world!
It took some living up to and was a special place to take my wife to for a surprise long weekend to celebrate our silver wedding aniversary and it was special. On Thursday evening when we arrived we were invited to drinks with the hotel manager and then when we got to our room we found Maltese Champagne there for us and then we looked out of the window and saw the balcony and view of the harbour - wow!
Dinner was superb, staff very attentive when needed and the costs were less than those found at lesser establishments in Selima.
Location of the hotel could not be faulted for Valletta sightseeing and dining. The pool was cool but atmosphere was hot and drinks flowed when requested. It was so peaceful and pleasant there.
Overall it was fabulous. There are minor signs of age but the character of this hotel is such they are overlooked and you enjoy the opulant luxury. Would we go again, oh yes. It can't come soon enough.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the most expensive!
1  Thank fssmith
Reviewed 28 October 2012

it's a shame to see some of the other experiences in this hotel as we were very pleased indeed from start to finish. The welcome was professional and warm, our room was very good indeed, I think that we were benefittng from two things - a deluxe harbour view (in this hotel this is the next to top range of room) and the room had been very recently refurbished so was modern. The only slight niggles were that the shower was sited too close to the wall in the bath and one had a contortion to have a shower - worse for my husband at 6' 2" than for me (5' 6"). The water pressure was very strong in the room, again maybe refurbished plumbing. The other slight niggle was the lack of wifi in the room, there was a charged broadband service via modem which is pretty old fashioned nowadays. There was free wifi throughout the public areas downstairs and one saw holiday makers and business people alike logging in. We found the public areas spotless, all staff were really welcoming and pleasant. Breakfast was extremely good, a large buffet of cold "continental" breakfast choices, with a hot buffet and freshly prepared eggs in a side room. We ate dinner twice in the hotel, both times were very good indeed/excellent. The fresh fish was superb and the menu had a good selection of authentic Maltese dishes as well as standard international. There was a very good pianist/singer in the Palm Court lounge on Friday night, which was an added bonus. The gardens are obviously under refurbishment, but that wasn't a problem for us. We didn't use the pool area as all our time was spent exploring Valletta, which is absolutely fascinating and should be seen. As others have noted the Phoenicia is in a perfect location for this, being right at the entrance to the city - all of which is walkable. Taxis are very expensive in Valletta (we variously paid 15 and 20 Euros to go to the Royal Yacht Club, a 10 minute ride.) We had considered the Hilton but chose the Phoenicia as being on the doorstep for Valletta and I am very glad that we did due to the cost of taxis. As mentioned by others the bus station is across the road and would be great for touring the island. We would thoroughly recommend the Phoenicia and would stay again - but having seen other reviews would be careful on room choice.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are worth the additional cost as these seem to be the most up to date and enjoyable.
1  Thank Catherine C
Reviewed 28 October 2012

It turned out that the hotel was fairly large and I was impressed by the size of the entrance hall, when I walked in. There was an enormous amount of people in the hall when I entered and all of them were dressed up for a wedding party. The receptionist found my booking and gave me a room on the sixth floor, which was on the top floor of the hotel. The hotel had some years on its back but it was one of these hotels that had aged with stile.

The halls that I passed were all broad and nicely decorated and I had the same experience when I entered my room. The room had a nice size with a huge king size bed as the centerpiece. I went to the windows and opened them; I had a great view of some of the harbor area and the lights of the city were shining towards me like stars. The interior was classic without being outdated. The walls where in soft white colors except for the wall behind the bed that was brown patterned. The bathroom was quite large and it was an old school with white tiles everywhere. I was quite pleased with what I had gotten.

The hotel was located pretty well just next to the central bus station and one of the old entrances to the old part of Valetta. After my walk in the city center I returned to the hotel only to find it completely full of weddings guests in the lounge areas and in the garden. It turned out that the wedding party had more than 700 guests and they were everywhere.

I managed to find a bar with a very skilled waiter and his skills were so good that I ended up being quite tipsy before I headed up for bed to a good night of sleep. I was heading for Cypress the following day but first at 2 pm so I decided to skip breakfast and sleep long the following day.

It was certainly a hotel that I could return to but next time I would ask if they have a huge wedding there because it kind of limited my usage of the garden area and the nice balcony they had.

Room Tip: Watch out for the large weddings
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo