“Superb in every way!”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We have just returned from a fabulous festive break at the Phoenicia. The welcome received at Reception and service provided throughout the Hotel were second to none. We felt we were given V.I.P. treatment at all times. Our room was superb with beautiful harbour views and lovely décor. As the Hotel is so well located, we thoroughly enjoyed being able to wander effortlessly into Valletta to sightsee and finish Christmas shopping! We really appreciated too the various Christmas events that the Hotel had organised for guests, like the Carol Concert and the Wine-Lecture/Tasting. The excellent standard of the Hotel's two restaurants also made decisions about where to eat very easy!

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own qualities, so one is spoilt for choice it seems!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janie W

Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed for a lovely few dayside Dec. lovely hotel, great service and a brilliant location for the sights of Valetta, with the bus station on the doorstep (literally). Touring from here was really easy, and the evening piano bar entertainment unobtrusive and classy!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank RichW123
Reviewed 21 December 2012

My last visit to the Phoenicia was probably my 7th or 8th and I am always impressed with the experience. The initial welcome at reception, standard service and facilities are maintained at a consistencty good standard that attracts me to keep coming back!

Room Tip: Don't take the ones I prefer!!
1  Thank GemmaandAntony
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Hotel has a great structure - but it needs a thorough top to bottom internal refurbishment. I suspect it gets good ratings because people forgive its flaws as 'character'. But the reality is that the rooms are at best 'dated', at worst 'shabby'. Dare one say even a might dirty, too. Best advice is don't inspect the beds or their pillows too closely! I had to change rooms twice because the beds just weren't pleasant.

Room Tip: ASk to see your actual room before accepting the key! Otherwise, if you can't accept it, you'...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank MikieLondon
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Just returned (11 Dec 12) from the Phoenicia having stayed for one week. This was my tenth visit to the hotel so that speaks for itself. I will not repeat what other reviewers say about the location.
I report a major change in the role of the two restaurants which guide books and tour operator brochures have not yet amended. The large Phoenix restaurant where breakfast is served is now the informal restaurant in the evening with the smaller Pegasus Brasserie at the front of the hotel, being used for formal fine dining. Beakfasts are aequate but beware if you are dining alone, as I was. The chefs station is now in a side room and on three occasions in my week my table had been cleared when I returned to my table with my cooked breakfast. This was in spite of me leaving clues that I was still there. There were apologises of course but that is not five star treatment.
Not wishing to be too critical but this time I noticed that a substantial number of the small lamp shaded in the Phoenix were at all angles and it really looked less than five star.
The staff are generally very friendly and helpful and I shall return again next year.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank TerryStaffordEngland
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Wonderful atmosphere in a Hotel that has a convenient location very close to Valletta center. Personnel is always kind and very helpful. One of the best Hotel where to stay in the South of Europe that has all modern conforts, in an old and fascinating setting.

Marco Spagnoli (Italy)

4  Thank marco_spagnoli
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed at the Phoenicia from 4th December 2012 to 6th December 2012. I was in Valletta for 2 nights on business.

The hotel is a converted building and I think the original conversion was some time ago. That said, I think the rooms have charm and the bathrooms whilst a little old were perfectly serviceable.

All that said, this hotel is not about it's rooms (btw the bed, linen and pillows were very comfortable), it is about the big bar area and the side Club Bar. The main bar is a huge circular room with the bar in the middle and the old thick brick wall on one side. The Club Bar is a small whisky bar with leather chairs and sofas.

I got a corporate room rate of EUR 100 per night incl breakfast. Which I felt was a good price.

Would recommend for inexpensive business travel.

Room Tip: The higher, the quieter.
2  Thank MatLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#2 of 15 in Valletta
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!