“the irresistible Phoenicia”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is our third consecutive visit to this delightful hotel and it did not disappoint. This is an hotel which truly sucks you in leaving you unable to resist its charm. Valletta is an unique city and the hotel's close proximity makes it an outstanding holiday destination.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hazel029
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Hazel029,
Thank you for your lovely comments about the Hotel Phoenicia. I am glad that the whole atmosphere has captured you thus making you return here time and again. I look forward to your next visit.
Best regards
Helena

Write a ReviewReviews (2,363)

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Mine was an unexpected encounter as I was dispatched to the Phoenicia at 1:30am when the Grand Hotel Excelsior told me on my arrival that I would encounter ‘disturbance’ because of maintenance issues. And so it was that I came to the Phoenicia in a slightly disgruntled state of mind. My first impressions at that time of night was of a slightly old fashioned hotel but of a comfortable room which I was glad to settle into. From then on it was an upward trajectory beginning with a nice but hurried breakfast on the veranda as I had an early business appointment. In the evening I enjoyed the Italian Pasta night, again on the veranda, this time with a piano playing. The following day, with a more leisurely breakfast I was able to soak up the ambiance of the place, which I must admit I found more than agreeable. Although I did not have the opportunity to sample much else, a stroll in the garden down to the swimming pool area revealed that had I been staying longer then there was much to enjoy.
Reflecting on my room, it was comfortably furnished with a bright and clean bathroom. The view from my room was not so good but then staring out of the window is not something which one would spend so much time doing when there is so much else to do. The hotel reception staff were helpful and the service in general was very good. As I say, it was but a brief encounter but I liked what saw and certainly would consider returning there in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ooDormouseoo

Dear ooDormouseoo,

Thank you for sharing your experience with all Tripadvisor travelers. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Phoenicia and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We have just returned from our second stay at this excellent hotel.
Located just outside the city of Valletta it is perfectly situated for visiting the island.
The staff are all very friendly. The bedrooms have all you need. The pool area is ideal to relax located at the end of the beautiful gardens.
Breakfast is an extensive buffet, the best we have had, taken on the terrace.
We have visited Malta many times and stayed at several different hotels and this is our favourite.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Rod D,

Thank you for your lovely comments on Trip Advisor, I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

As first time visitors to Malta we didn't really know what to expect from the hotel. However our minds were immediately put at ease as soon as we walked into the Phoenicia Hotel.
We were greeted at check-in by the lovely Neville and were allocated a room on the 2nd floor with a side harbour view and balcony, exactly what I'd requested in an email prior to our arrival.
Our friends will tell you that we are seasoned travellers (akin to Judith Chalmers) and we can say without doubt that the Phoenicia is one of the best hotels we've stayed in.
The hotel's public areas exude 1930's Art Deco class while the room was clean and comfortable.
We stayed on a Bed & Breakfast basis and we were so glad we did because the breakfast fare was extensive and delicious, whether cooked or continental.
As has been discussed in previous reviews, the swimming pool area is a short walk through the very attractive hotel gardens, which we enjoyed immensely. The pool area itself was in a lovely setting next to the City ramparts, with plenty of sun loungers available at virtually all times of the day. The swimming pool, whirlpool and pool bar couldn't be faulted, however if we did have one slight critisism it would be that the the surrounding pool area, loungers and small tables were not that clean.
We ate only once at the hotel for evening meal in the hotel's Phoenix Restaurant, mainly because there are so many very good restaurants to choose from just a short walk away. The food and wine served at the Sunday Grill was excellent and good value for a 5 star hotel.
The position of the hotel, as has also been stated in previous reviews, couldn't be better. Just outside the City 'gate' and very close to the central bus station. So whether you want to walk into the beautiful City of Valletta or hop on a bus to another part of the Island, you are defintely in the perfect place.
When we return to Valletta, God willing, we will be looking no further than the Phoenicia for the perfect place to stay.
Finally we'd like to thank all the management and staff for a truly memorable and enjoyable stay at the fantastic Phoenicia!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bobbyp

Dear bobbyp,

I’m very pleased to note that your stay at the Hotel Phoenicia lived up to your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Malta in the future.
Kindest regards

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Loved this hotel fantastic location, great staff and decor excellent, definitely stay here !!
We really enjoyed the hotel And location, so close to city And old area.Magic swimming pool much needed on a hot day, of which there Re many.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, worth it
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank saffy55151

Dear Saffy55151,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment with other Trip Advisor readers. I am very happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

If you want to spend your time wandering around the pedestrianised areas of Valletta when not exploring farther afield then the Phoenicia is undoubtedly the best place to stay. It is a wonderfully civilised hotel right next to the main bus station and within easy walking distance of Valletta’s old town; which, of course, has numerous areas of historical interest, together with a plethora of shops and great restaurants. The hotel itself is surprisingly tranquil, despite being in a busy location, as it is set within its own extensive gardens. Private parking was available for our car and there were several venues in which to eat and drink on site, including down by the pool. On the occasions we decided not to go elsewhere for dinner, we particularly enjoyed the Pegasus restaurant as the food was good and its relaxed but slightly more formal dining room was always free of young children. Our third floor bedroom was clean and comfortable and had a view of the harbour so it was interesting to watch the massive ocean liners coming and going during the course of our stay. All the hotel’s staff were most helpful and did their utmost to make us feel at home. They were also naturally very friendly and attentive without being obsequious or giving us the feeling that we were under constant surveillance.

In short we greatly enjoyed our week at the Phoenicia and would not hesitate to return there.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ricycles

Dear Ricycles,
It is lovely to read your positive comments and that you had such a good time when you were staying with us. . We very much look forward to continuing to welcome you back whenever you are in Malta.
Kindest regards

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Phoenicia is a lovely hotel my family and I always enjoy returning to. I've stopped counting the number of visits by now. The rooms on the two top floors are very elegantly appointed in a style that is contemporary and yet blends in nicely with the grandeur of the building and its rich colonial history. The Phoenicia really is a grand old place!

But apart from that, without a doubt the Phoenicia's strongest point is its staff. Everybody at the hotel is really just so nice and attentive. As a guest you a treated like a good old friend come to visit, which is nice.

The last time I visited in July 2013 was with my parents, my mum is in a wheelchair. I thought it was simply heartwarming to see what good care the staff took of her and the genuine effort they made to put her at ease.

If you're looking for a beach resort holiday, then probably the Phoenicia is not for you. But if it's a city break you're after and a bit of sightseeing, this is certainly the place to come. The hotel is located in close proximity to Valletta city gate and the bus terminus, which makes it easy to explore the islands using public transport.

Room Tip: Room on the two top floors are more modern than those on the first and second floors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Binngi14,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stays at the hotel, I am delighted with your comments, about the staff in particular and it is so kind of you to recommend us to Tripadvisor's readers, that really is appreciated. We very much look forward to continuing to welcome you and your family back whenever you are in Malta.
Best regards
Helena

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Palazzo Consiglia
Palazzo Consiglia
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!