2,617 results
All reviews club bar the palm court phoenix restaurant infinity pool the bus grand old lady old world charm public rooms main restaurant elegant hotel city gate old style star hotel a harbour view room main gate fourth floor building work
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I recently spent three nights at the Hotel Phoenicia. All in all, this hotel is a bit of a mixed bag. First the good:

- The location couldn't be better, immediately outside the city gate of Valletta.
- The service by the hotel staff was uniformly outstanding, including the front desk staff, the bar and restaurant staff, and the concierge.
- The breakfast was excellent, including a variety of pastries, hot English breakfast, etc.
- The bar and dining room are extremely nice.

Now the bad:

- My room was very outdated, right down to somewhat worn curtains and an actual tube television. The hotel does not offer wifi in the rooms, although I was able to pick it up from the common areas in my particular room. Instead, in exchange for a deposit, they will issue you a router to use in your room. Mine did not work, but as I said, I could pick up the wifi from the common areas so it was not an issue in the end.

- The bed was old, lumpy, and not particularly comfortable. The pillows, however, were down and very good.

- The hotel is quite overpriced, particularly for Malta. At over 200 Euros a night, the rate was excessive, particularly given the worn condition of the rooms.

Would I stay here again? Probably. The location is excellent and the staff wonderful--factors that overcome the negative aspects. But my overall impression of one of a formerly very grand hotel that is now struggling to get by. I do hope it succeeds.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Saltrat
CharlesAzz, General Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Saltrat,

I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and for your comments about the hotel and the staff.

I have also noted your comments about the TVs and the wifi and I am pleased that these are two of the changes we are at present introducing at the Phoenicia. The new flat screen TVs will be in all the rooms as from the end of March and the wifi system in all the rooms will operational as from the middle of April.

I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel in the near future and you will be able to experience the improvements in our product.

Kind Regards
Charles Azzopardi

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and it was fantastic, the concierge met you out of the taxi, your luggage was taken into the hotel and the reception staff we extremely helpful, it was definitely a 5* experience. So we decided to go back for a couple of days, like I said “what a shame” on arrival we took our own luggage to reception to check in which to be honest was quick, but no “welcome to the hotel” “enjoy your stay” etc. After putting our luggage in our room, we went out to enjoy the city. When we got back to the room to get ready to go out, my husband stood on something, which turned out to be a piece of glass! On further inspection there were lots of pieces of glass and metal on the floor. Also when we went to switch the lights on 2 of them didn’t even have bulbs in them. Again, we didn’t want to complain as we wanted to enjoy the short break, but when going to have a shower noticed the bath was dirty so I quickly cleaned it, the hand rail on the bath was covered in black dirt so I did phone to ask for the glass to be cleaned and light bulbs to be put in. Giving credit where its due, housekeeping did ask if we would like to move rooms but we declined as we had unpacked and were only staying another day, so asked if it could be cleaned up, she said she was on her own so didn’t know when this would be done, she did agree there was a lot of glass on the carpet and asked if we had broken something!!! We had only been in the room a short while so no we hadn’t.
I must admit I thought that we would have received an apology, but no. Then on our last day when we went to check out, (we had already arranged with the hotel for a taxi to the airport and gave the flight details) and pay for the taxi to be told that it would pick us up at 11 which was wrong as that was the time of our flight and the confirmation from the hotel stated we would be picked up at 9.00am!! Again no apology or any sign that they had done something wrong.
I certainly wouldn’t stay there again because of this, but still, you have got to give the hotel a go as the architecture and surroundings are stunning and a perfect location for Valletta.

Date of stay: February 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank 2jcs
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This is our third visit at this time of the year and this visit was for two weeks over January/February (previously only one week). When we walked through the door it was almost like coming back home, staff recognised us and greeted us almost with open arms, and this is one of the things this makes this such a nice hotel in which to stay.
Our air-conditioned rooms have always been quiet, extremely well furnished and were provided with high-speed internet, a mini-bar, tea/coffee facilities (replenished each evening along with a bed-turndown visit), telephone, safe, a lovely well-stocked bathroom, a bath with very hot water (very welcome after a day sight-seeing) and most importantly a very large and comfortable double bed. Bathroom toiletries were replenished in the morning along with room cleaning etc.
Self-service breakfast choices (taken in the Phoenix restaurant overlooking the Marsamxett Harbour) have to been seen to be believed, and the hard working staff ensured that we were well served with tea/coffee etc. Dinners were available in the Pegasus Brasserie. In the summer breakfast and dinner can be taken Al Fresco on the Phoenix Terrace.
There is an extremely well stocked Club Bar with a food option and entertainment some evenings.
The Palm Court Lounge which serves hot/cold drinks and snacks also serves very nice afternoon teas of sandwiches, cakes and scones (which we made use of most days - thank you girls).
The hotel is manned all night and also offers a well stocked shop, a tours desk, a hair salon, a fitness centre and a computer room.
The lovely swimming pool area (renovated whilst we here here last year) is behind the hotel after a walk though very picturesque gardens.
The position of the Phoenicia is ideal for us, next to the bus station, and Valletta with so much to see and do. (40 years ago, when we first began coming to Malta, we drove all around the Island but now its much more relaxing and interesting taking the bus).
Apart from all that was offered at the Phoenicia the highlight for us was the friendliness and welcoming we received from the staff, Its almost like being part of one large happy family.
This has been another wonderful experience at the Phoenicia for us, so much so that we are planning on coming here for four weeks about the same time next year.
To all the staff who looked after us so well, a very big thankyou.
Pam and Tony Kingswood

Room tip: We've always been very satisfied with the room offerred.
Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank TonyK2012
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Kingswood,

We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay so much, and that your will be returning for an even longer stay next year. We thank you ever so much for your glowing review, your comments particularly those about the staff are highly appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Best Regards

Helena

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We decided to have a 2-night, 3-day break in Valletta and found a good deal at this hotel through Booking.com. We picked a good time to go as the weather was great, warm & sunny throughout our stay. The 5-star hotel was comfortable and resplendent in its 1930's style décor, and design and the hotel bar area was fantastic. Our room was spacious and the bed very comfortable with all amenities included. Its central location was perfect for our stay as we wanted to explore Valletta, do some shopping, take some photographs and experience some fine cuisine. We achieved all of those things and more, also finding time to visit the war museum and the grand reference library too. We found two superb restaurants, the small but intimate Chez Cyrille Restaurant, serving an international & Mediterranean menu and the Blue Room, serving high quality Chinese food.
All in all a lovely break in a wonderful hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve19552014

Dear Steve19552014,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Phoenicia with other Trip Advisor Users. I am very happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at the we were able to meet you expectations in most aspects of your stay.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best Regards

Helena

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have hesitated on the number of stars to give to this hotel, where I stayed for one night as part of a business trip to Malta. On the one side, it would deserve four starts as the hotel is in a beautiful historical palace and it is very close to the historical part of Valletta. The atrium is magnificent and common areas are well maintained.
On the other side, however, it deserves less than four stars as rooms are small and bathrooms are old and in need of refurbishment.
And the additional reason that made me decide for a three star evaluation is that the hotel was not very helpful when we asked for an early breakfast as we needed to catch a plane. Breakfast starts at 07.00 - which is pretty late for a hotel that also caters business people - and we only wished to take it at 06.45. At that time, they were only willing to serve us a basic coffee with some not-very-fresh croissants on a tray in the hall. I found this really not good for a five star hotel, especially as fruits and cereals were ready in the dining room and they did not require warming up. These are the kind of details that really make the different and show the approach.
So, it is a good hotel but improvements are needed.

Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank claudiac67
CharlesAzz, General Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear Claudia67,

I would like to apologise for not fully meeting your expectations during your stay at the Phoenicia.

As you rightly mentioned we should have been able to serve you breakfast earlier than 7am. Our room service menu is always available earlier than 7am and can be served in your room or the Palm court prior to the opening of the restaurant. I will discuss this with my Food & Beverage Manager to make sure that we are able to cater fully for similar requests in the future.

I sincerely thank you for your review and also for you constructive comments which will help us improve our service. We are undertaking a number of significant improvements in rooms during this winter which I am positive will enhance our rooms’ product. . I hope that we will be given the opportunity to welcome you once again to the Phoenicia.

Kind regards