“Splendid old hotel.”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Phoenicia is a beautifully kept and run hotel and in an unsurpassed position at the gates of Valletta. The rooms and bathrooms are of a standard one would expect of a first class hotel and the gardens are beautiful. Expensive of course but you really do get what you pay for. Highly recomended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wotaway2go
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Wotaway2go,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other Trip Advisor users. I am delighted to learn that you have fully enjoyed your stay. We highly appreciate your comment and your recommendations.

We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Phoenicia Malta

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This historic Grand Hotel has character, fantastic gardens, a nice swimming pool overlooking an harbor and if you are visiting La Valletta a great location. Unfortunately the property it’s a little bit run down and in need of a good overall refurbishment. I stayed in a good sized room with a nice view, but I had a really warn out bathroom that I believe it’s still in its original state, for sure dating back to 1947 when the hotel was reopened, obviously the condition were really bad. The bathrobe and towels had evident signs of wear and tear and they were unstitched at their extremities. The room tea and coffee facilities had a kettle that was rusted inside. If you need wireless Internet access in your room do not forget to ask the receptionist to obtain a modem/routed that will have to be plugged-in in the room. Breakfast was decent but nothing special. General services are not up to 5 star standards. The restaurant, being an hotel restaurant was not bad. At check out, I left my luggage to the concierge and did not get a receipt, when I was about to leave I couldn’t find the concierge and after a while waiting, since my transfer was already waiting for me, I asked the receptionist if someone was able to retrieve my luggage, I was sent to the storage room to pick it up by myself.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Maurizio M
Reviewed 11 February 2014

There is no reason to complain about anything in this pre WW II hotel, but then there is nothing to get excited about, thus my rating of 4. The "executive room " is nice but could do with one armchair. The bathroom must have looked modern 50 years ago, but again, nothing to complain about. The lobby and salon are stylish and have internet access. The restaurant is fine for breakfast. Breakfast is traditional british and very nice. In the evening however, with a few tables occupied out of about 60, dinner tends to be a bit intimidating in such a big space.Food is fine, wine list also. The staff is courteous and friendly. Unfortunately many tourists from the North must think that a mediterranean island must be warm in February and thus wear shorts and Tshirts in an environment more suited to old time elegance ; I certainly cannot blame the hotel for their presence and feel sorry for the tourists !

5  Thank JJGRome
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear JJGRome,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Phoenicia with other Trip Advisor users. I am glad to learn that you have enjoyed your stay.

Your comments and feedback are highly appreciated and will be taken on board in order to improve our guest's experience.

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Couldnt be better for access to everything inValletta.. Close but not too noisy/busy so ideal to relax during the day - especially in the grand lounge. Best rooms at rear of hotel with great views over Sliema.

1  Thank whitnells

Dear whitnells,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I recently spent three nights at the Hotel Phoenicia. All in all, this hotel is a bit of a mixed bag. First the good:

- The location couldn't be better, immediately outside the city gate of Valletta.
- The service by the hotel staff was uniformly outstanding, including the front desk staff, the bar and restaurant staff, and the concierge.
- The breakfast was excellent, including a variety of pastries, hot English breakfast, etc.
- The bar and dining room are extremely nice.

Now the bad:

- My room was very outdated, right down to somewhat worn curtains and an actual tube television. The hotel does not offer wifi in the rooms, although I was able to pick it up from the common areas in my particular room. Instead, in exchange for a deposit, they will issue you a router to use in your room. Mine did not work, but as I said, I could pick up the wifi from the common areas so it was not an issue in the end.

- The bed was old, lumpy, and not particularly comfortable. The pillows, however, were down and very good.

- The hotel is quite overpriced, particularly for Malta. At over 200 Euros a night, the rate was excessive, particularly given the worn condition of the rooms.

Would I stay here again? Probably. The location is excellent and the staff wonderful--factors that overcome the negative aspects. But my overall impression of one of a formerly very grand hotel that is now struggling to get by. I do hope it succeeds.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Saltrat
CharlesAzz, General Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Saltrat,

I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and for your comments about the hotel and the staff.

I have also noted your comments about the TVs and the wifi and I am pleased that these are two of the changes we are at present introducing at the Phoenicia. The new flat screen TVs will be in all the rooms as from the end of March and the wifi system in all the rooms will operational as from the middle of April.

I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel in the near future and you will be able to experience the improvements in our product.

Kind Regards
Charles Azzopardi

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and it was fantastic, the concierge met you out of the taxi, your luggage was taken into the hotel and the reception staff we extremely helpful, it was definitely a 5* experience. So we decided to go back for a couple of days, like I said “what a shame” on arrival we took our own luggage to reception to check in which to be honest was quick, but no “welcome to the hotel” “enjoy your stay” etc. After putting our luggage in our room, we went out to enjoy the city. When we got back to the room to get ready to go out, my husband stood on something, which turned out to be a piece of glass! On further inspection there were lots of pieces of glass and metal on the floor. Also when we went to switch the lights on 2 of them didn’t even have bulbs in them. Again, we didn’t want to complain as we wanted to enjoy the short break, but when going to have a shower noticed the bath was dirty so I quickly cleaned it, the hand rail on the bath was covered in black dirt so I did phone to ask for the glass to be cleaned and light bulbs to be put in. Giving credit where its due, housekeeping did ask if we would like to move rooms but we declined as we had unpacked and were only staying another day, so asked if it could be cleaned up, she said she was on her own so didn’t know when this would be done, she did agree there was a lot of glass on the carpet and asked if we had broken something!!! We had only been in the room a short while so no we hadn’t.
I must admit I thought that we would have received an apology, but no. Then on our last day when we went to check out, (we had already arranged with the hotel for a taxi to the airport and gave the flight details) and pay for the taxi to be told that it would pick us up at 11 which was wrong as that was the time of our flight and the confirmation from the hotel stated we would be picked up at 9.00am!! Again no apology or any sign that they had done something wrong.
I certainly wouldn’t stay there again because of this, but still, you have got to give the hotel a go as the architecture and surroundings are stunning and a perfect location for Valletta.

6  Thank 2jcs
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This is our third visit at this time of the year and this visit was for two weeks over January/February (previously only one week). When we walked through the door it was almost like coming back home, staff recognised us and greeted us almost with open arms, and this is one of the things this makes this such a nice hotel in which to stay.
Our air-conditioned rooms have always been quiet, extremely well furnished and were provided with high-speed internet, a mini-bar, tea/coffee facilities (replenished each evening along with a bed-turndown visit), telephone, safe, a lovely well-stocked bathroom, a bath with very hot water (very welcome after a day sight-seeing) and most importantly a very large and comfortable double bed. Bathroom toiletries were replenished in the morning along with room cleaning etc.
Self-service breakfast choices (taken in the Phoenix restaurant overlooking the Marsamxett Harbour) have to been seen to be believed, and the hard working staff ensured that we were well served with tea/coffee etc. Dinners were available in the Pegasus Brasserie. In the summer breakfast and dinner can be taken Al Fresco on the Phoenix Terrace.
There is an extremely well stocked Club Bar with a food option and entertainment some evenings.
The Palm Court Lounge which serves hot/cold drinks and snacks also serves very nice afternoon teas of sandwiches, cakes and scones (which we made use of most days - thank you girls).
The hotel is manned all night and also offers a well stocked shop, a tours desk, a hair salon, a fitness centre and a computer room.
The lovely swimming pool area (renovated whilst we here here last year) is behind the hotel after a walk though very picturesque gardens.
The position of the Phoenicia is ideal for us, next to the bus station, and Valletta with so much to see and do. (40 years ago, when we first began coming to Malta, we drove all around the Island but now its much more relaxing and interesting taking the bus).
Apart from all that was offered at the Phoenicia the highlight for us was the friendliness and welcoming we received from the staff, Its almost like being part of one large happy family.
This has been another wonderful experience at the Phoenicia for us, so much so that we are planning on coming here for four weeks about the same time next year.
To all the staff who looked after us so well, a very big thankyou.
Pam and Tony Kingswood

Room Tip: We've always been very satisfied with the room offerred.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TonyK2012
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Kingswood,

We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay so much, and that your will be returning for an even longer stay next year. We thank you ever so much for your glowing review, your comments particularly those about the staff are highly appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Helena

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#2 of 15 in Valletta
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!