The Phoenicia Malta
getaroom.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
2,435 results
All reviewsclub barthe palm courtphoenix restaurantthe businfinity poolgrand old ladyold world charmpublic roomsmain restaurantelegant hotelcity gateold stylea harbour view roomstar hotelmain gatefourth floorbuilding work
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Me and my friend stayed at the Phoenecia last week and we were absolutely overwhelmed with the service and overall charm of this gem of a hotel. I'm a travel writer and have reviewed hotels around the world for a top UK travel agency in the past and I have to say that this hotel hits the mark for location, service and views.

We got a room with a balcony, unfortunately the room was a little dated decor-wise for me. I could have gone for a more contemporary room, but they don't have balconies. So it's one or the other. Aside from this very small thing, my stay here was excellent. We found the room clean and cool, and the amenities were that of any 4/5* hotel. The location is literally at the gates of Valletta, so about a minutes walk into where the locals shop, eat, drink and socialise. We were also right outside the bus station, which meant that when we did the bus tours, we just walked out of our hotel and voila! Taxis are a little steep here so I would advise everyone to use the bus as much as possible.

Food wise, we had room service on a couple of occasions and had afternoon tea at one of the restaurants, both of a high standard. On a couple of occasions we approached the catering staff quite late in the night as they were closing, but they still served us.

This brings me nicely onto service - the best thing about the hotel. The staff cannot do too much for you and they were all absolutely brilliant in every way! From helping us book excursions, getting around the island, helping us make restaurant reservations to simply ensuring every need we had was taken case of. I cannot say one member of staff was rude (usually in hotels, there are one or two nice people only and the majority of people are either rude or disinterested in helping you). I have to mention the generous hospitality of a few though, Krista, Helena, Laura-Donna and Mario. Not only did these individuals ensure we had everything we needed at all times, but they also took time to get to know me and my friend - such a small touch, but making all the difference.

Of all the hotels I've travelled, the Phoenecia is first class when it comes to service, thank you for a great stay and I hope to return again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank FarrahChaudhry
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear FarrahChaudry,

Wow, what an amazing review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at the hotel, I am delighted with your comments about the staff in particular and it is so kind of you to recommend us to Trip Advisor readers, that really is appreciated. We very much look forward to continuing to welcome you back whenever you are in Malta.

Best regards

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Well appointed and well located it deserves its official 5 star rating. Evening meals in the Phoenix restaurant were superb with attentive staff and plenty of room between the tables. The buffet breakfasts in the same location were comprehensive with the option of freshly cooked hot dishes. The Palm Court bar and food relaxed and good with a piano player most evenings. Room service prompt with good food.
Staff throughout were efficient, helpful, attentive and polite.
We were on the third floor looking north west over Marsamxett Harbour and the hotel gardens. Room more than adequate in size with a good sized bathroom. Clean, tidy and well looked after (being picky there was the odd paint spot on the carpet). We may have had very quiet neighbours but there was almost no noise and even the sound of hall doors closing was limited.
Not hot enough to require the aircon but a notice suggested that it turned itself off if sensors detected no movement in room or that a window was open; this might be a problem during the night or if trying to cool a room in the evening while occupants in the restaurant.
Ideal location just outside the main entrance to Valletta old city and about 4 minutes walk to the bus terminal.
Pool and bar not tried (bit chilly) but looked welcoming and reached by a surprisingly long walk through the gardens.
Nothing adverse to say at all, and we are looking to return again next year.
AndrewD

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cavalier31

Dear AndrewD,

I thank you for such positive a feedback. I was extremely pleased to read your full satisfaction regarding our high level of service. I look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Phoenicia.

Best Regards

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I booked this hotel based on the majority of reviews. If you are planning to stay in Valletta then look no further. Ideally situated close to the main bus terminal makes travelling around the island very easy. A daily ticket for unlimited travel costs 1.50 euro per person, not quite as much fun now the old yellow buses have gone! The hotel us spotlessly clean, all staff friendly and helpful and could not fault the standard of our room, even down to small details as having enough plugs and in the right place! We had room 202 with a balcony and lovely views over the harbour. We chose to pay for breakfast at 15 euro per person. It was worth every penny. Usual choices of cereals, pastries cold meats, cheese etc. also beautifully cooked bacon, sausages and eggs cooked to order. The grounds of the hotel are lovely, the pool area has obviously recently been refurbished and has a great view of the harbour. We didn't eat in the main restaurant so can't comment but had a couple of meals in the club bar, excellent service, reasonably priced and good quality ( wonderful cocktails too! ) I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan B

Dear jan054,

I am really delighted to read your comments and that you enjoyed your stay and the service provided by the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My mother and I stayed at the phoenicia for an easter break and were so pleased with the choice. it was convenient to walk into Valetta, room was very comfortable and airy. We enjoyed also some of the hotel's restaurants on days that were rainy. We didn't really get the chance to explore the hotel's gardens and pool but these looked great particularly later in the season. It's worth pre-ordering breakfast at the time of booking. Free wifi throughout the building.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachel Z

Dear Rachel Z,

We are happy to hear you particularly enjoyed the location and found everything you needed close to the hotel. We’d love to welcome you back soon,

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Situated just outside of the walls of the old city, with convenient parking this hotel is ideal for exploring Valetta. The public rooms are an extraordinary flourish of Art Deco grandeur with some excellent clubby feel restaurants and bars - well worth a visit even if you aren't staying.

As to the rooms themselves after the public areas in all honesty they're a bit of a leg down not bad.. But not exactly inspired. The corridors can be a little noisy as well. All in all a good choice for the city - as long as you don't intend to spend lots of time in the room.

Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Paul H

Dear Squaremeal,

Thank you for sharing your experience with all Tripadvisor readers. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Phoenicia. Your feedback is important to us as it helps us improve our guests' experience.
I hope you get the opportunity to stay with us again.

Best Regards