“Classic elegance”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We used the Phoenicia Hotel as our base for a week’s holiday in Malta. The choice was based on the recommendation of a close friend and its proximity to Valletta and the bus station, as we chose not to hire a car. The hotel didn’t disappoint on any of these counts. Its location couldn’t be bettered and it had a classic splendour with all those little extras that make a difference between a four star and five star hotel. The ladies at reception were particularly helpful in researching and booking restaurants for us, and the free wi-fi coverage was a godsend. This was advertised as only available in the public rooms but we seemed to be able to pick it up in our room on the first floor, which was a real boon. The Hotel seems to have a mix of rooms available, including singles: Ours was a double: Not overly large, but perfectly adequate, with a lovely view over Marsamxett Harbour, and a balcony. Sadly the wind, for which Malta seems to be known, often made it too chilly to sit out for long periods. We had breakfast included in our booking which was extensive and catered for all tastes; it most definitely set one up for the day! We ate out at local restaurants most evenings, but did go to the hotel’s “Maltese Evening”. This offered a variety of food and wine, both in unlimited quantities! It was also nice to be invited to a ‘Manager’s Reception’, something that few hotels seem to do these days. We’d certainly recommend the Phoenicia and would have no qualms about staying there again. In truth, however, were we to return, we’d probably opt for a self-catering apartment, as we came back having gained more than a few pounds!

5  Thank JuliaT56
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear JuliaT56,

Thank you so much for your great comments on the staff and service, your support of the hotel is hugely appreciated and we look forward to continuing to welcome you back to Hotel Phoenicia. We highly appreciate your comments and are thankful for your recommendations.
We look forward to your next visit.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had the opposite experience to Foxx M. We DID have a problem with our room ( we changed rooms twice in 2 days but the staff bent over backwards to ensure that we were satisfied. The 3rd room was a lovely suite so we were happy once again.
Yes some of the rooms are a little tired but they have an old fashioned charm about them. We had great breakfasts served by friendly staff.
The managers, customer services lady and concierges couldn't do enough for us.
The phoenicia has charm, grace and character unlike most of the 5 star hotels I stay in.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen C

Dear Karen C,

It is lovely to read your positive comments and that you had such a good time when you were staying with us. . We very much look forward to continuing to welcome you back whenever you are in Malta.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The only good thing about this hotel is the pool area (though it is quite a good walk to get there) and the reservation system, the rest is just not up to standard and Management does nothing to remedy issues. I stayed here almost two weeks and experienced problem after problem. First the room allocated was dark and showed lots of wear and tear. Then they changed my room to the better floor (3rd and 4th which are the renovated floors I believe). But then, services that were supposed to be included where charged for or not available and I had to chase staff up. It takes forever to get a drink in the main bar area. The breakfast is good but the service very slow and they don't even clean your table until you piled up 5 plates on it. You kept being disturbed in your room constantly for one reason or the other. Instead of a double bed, you have to sleep on the beds tucked together and I kept falling in between (this was remedied by the nice housekeeper Anna when I told her though). The cleaning of the room sometimes is not done properly, especially the bathroom floors. Overall, you need to chase staff up all the time for one thing or another. Also, there was an issue with the pressing of my clothing on arrival, I lost one hour of work because of it. I raised the isse with the General Manager and he didn't even bother to give me a written apology or at least provide some sort of commercial gesture, only an invitation to the wednesday drink which every patron receives anyways when they arrive, so no special gesture there. I will not stay here ever ever again. I hope this will help people make a sound decision before they book this hotel. Oh yes I forgot, the average median age of guests: 65! So yes, if you are in that range, by all means you will find it ok.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Foxx M
CharlesAzz, General Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Although I am sure you are aware, I feel I should still point out that your user name chosen for your first ever review on TripAdvisor happens to be very rude in the Maltese language and since you only ever wrote about a Maltese hotel it is highly inappropriate.

That said, I sincerely thank you for staying with us and for also booking your colleagues at Phoenicia. Once again I offer our sincere apologies for the incidents you experienced.

As you know the charge for the pressing was a genuine mistake by a member of staff and immediately we were informed about the charge this was removed. Following this we sent you both an email and a written note to your room advising you that I was available to meet with you at any time. Unfortunately we had no response to both notes and I also made sure I was available till late that day not to miss you. I was also advised by our front office manager that he managed to speak to you and you told him that all issues had been taken care of. Apparently this was not the case and I apologise once again for the misunderstanding.

Please note that some services like the delivery of water were not done during normal times as we observe clients' requests not to be disturbed when hanging the Do Not Disturb sign on their bedroom door. We always delivered this once we were aware that the "do not disturb" sign was removed. Advising us that sometimes you worked nights, we were even more cautious about this.

I would like to assure you that we take comments by guests very seriously as these help us to improve and your comments about the bar and breakfast have also been discussed with our Food & Beverage Manager in order to improve consistency of service.

With kind regards
Charles Azzopardi

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had a light meal in The Club Bar of the hotel last Friday night (25th). The food was excellent . The gentleman in charge of the bar was more than excellent. It's many years since we have experienced such professionalism in a five star hotel, as opposed to the usual mediocrity. He was polite, friendly, helpful, and managed the bar to perfection. Let's hope he is in charge of training younger members of staff, as it's obvious that his skills are a rare commodity nowadays.

3  Thank dubliner_8

Dear dubliner_8,

Thank you for sharing your experience with all Tripadvisor readers. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to the Club Bar and that you found our staff highly professional. We highly appreciate your comments. I hope you get the opportunity to come back again.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful trip to this elegant hotel. Over the months I have been emailing Mario, making arrangements for my husband's birthday, and he has been a real gem. He has arrange cars to and from the airport and also booking all the restaurants I wanted to visit for our stay. Thank you so much Mario.
The hotel is very elegant and you feel as if you have stepped back in time! We had a harbour view room which was very good. There was a bath and an over bath shower - all kept very clean. There was plenty of hot water too. We had breakfast which was very good, only thing we didn't like was the oversized chairs, which were difficult to move and were very low. The bar is a great place to sit and have a drink before dinner.
The pool and garden are lovely and although it was windy we did find sheltered places to sit and enjoy the sun.
Thank you to all the staff who made our trip so memorable. We will return.
Ignore the rating for the spa - there wasn't one but I couldn't get rid of the dots!!!!

Room Tip: Harbourview rooms looking over the gardens are the best.
3  Thank Speges

Dear Speges,

It is lovely to read your positive comments and that you had such a good time when you were staying with us. We very much look forward to welcome you back for your birthday again. :-)

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Me and my friend stayed at the Phoenecia last week and we were absolutely overwhelmed with the service and overall charm of this gem of a hotel. I'm a travel writer and have reviewed hotels around the world for a top UK travel agency in the past and I have to say that this hotel hits the mark for location, service and views.

We got a room with a balcony, unfortunately the room was a little dated decor-wise for me. I could have gone for a more contemporary room, but they don't have balconies. So it's one or the other. Aside from this very small thing, my stay here was excellent. We found the room clean and cool, and the amenities were that of any 4/5* hotel. The location is literally at the gates of Valletta, so about a minutes walk into where the locals shop, eat, drink and socialise. We were also right outside the bus station, which meant that when we did the bus tours, we just walked out of our hotel and voila! Taxis are a little steep here so I would advise everyone to use the bus as much as possible.

Food wise, we had room service on a couple of occasions and had afternoon tea at one of the restaurants, both of a high standard. On a couple of occasions we approached the catering staff quite late in the night as they were closing, but they still served us.

This brings me nicely onto service - the best thing about the hotel. The staff cannot do too much for you and they were all absolutely brilliant in every way! From helping us book excursions, getting around the island, helping us make restaurant reservations to simply ensuring every need we had was taken case of. I cannot say one member of staff was rude (usually in hotels, there are one or two nice people only and the majority of people are either rude or disinterested in helping you). I have to mention the generous hospitality of a few though, Krista, Helena, Laura-Donna and Mario. Not only did these individuals ensure we had everything we needed at all times, but they also took time to get to know me and my friend - such a small touch, but making all the difference.

Of all the hotels I've travelled, the Phoenecia is first class when it comes to service, thank you for a great stay and I hope to return again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank FarrahChaudhry

Dear FarrahChaudry,

Wow, what an amazing review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at the hotel, I am delighted with your comments about the staff in particular and it is so kind of you to recommend us to Trip Advisor readers, that really is appreciated. We very much look forward to continuing to welcome you back whenever you are in Malta.

Best regards

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Well appointed and well located it deserves its official 5 star rating. Evening meals in the Phoenix restaurant were superb with attentive staff and plenty of room between the tables. The buffet breakfasts in the same location were comprehensive with the option of freshly cooked hot dishes. The Palm Court bar and food relaxed and good with a piano player most evenings. Room service prompt with good food.
Staff throughout were efficient, helpful, attentive and polite.
We were on the third floor looking north west over Marsamxett Harbour and the hotel gardens. Room more than adequate in size with a good sized bathroom. Clean, tidy and well looked after (being picky there was the odd paint spot on the carpet). We may have had very quiet neighbours but there was almost no noise and even the sound of hall doors closing was limited.
Not hot enough to require the aircon but a notice suggested that it turned itself off if sensors detected no movement in room or that a window was open; this might be a problem during the night or if trying to cool a room in the evening while occupants in the restaurant.
Ideal location just outside the main entrance to Valletta old city and about 4 minutes walk to the bus terminal.
Pool and bar not tried (bit chilly) but looked welcoming and reached by a surprisingly long walk through the gardens.
Nothing adverse to say at all, and we are looking to return again next year.
AndrewD

4  Thank cavalier31

Dear AndrewD,

I thank you for such positive a feedback. I was extremely pleased to read your full satisfaction regarding our high level of service. I look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Phoenicia.

Helena

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#2 of 15 in Valletta
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!