“No cream tea”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
“No cream tea”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We went into the Phoenicia this afternoon, hoping for a cream tea in luxurious surroundings after a tiring day in Valletta. We arrived at 4pm, afternoon tea is served from 3pm until 5pm. Not today though. We were informed that no further orders would be taken for cream teas due to a lack of scones. We asked how long it would be before scones were ready (assuming that they are one of the quickest things to bake!). One hour. Disappointed we ordered a sandwich and tea. At 4.30 we noticed that scones were being served (but not our sandwich). No attempt by anyone to come across and mention that scones were now available. At 4.45 our sandwiches arrived. Perfectly edible, but not a cream tea! Not a great impression of a high grade hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cbuddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Newton Abbot
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A fabulous hotel, gracious and comfortable with very attentive and friendly staff. I don't have a bad word to say about my 4 night stay in May 2014. Breakfast, if ordered on arrival, is only €14.50 and was amazing, a great start to the day. The hotel is situated at the city gate of Valetta, a minute's walk away. The bus terminal (very easy to use) and taxi rank is next door. The hop on, hop off sightseeing buses stop right outside. It's worth having a room with a harbour view which is spectacular and ever changing. Watch the sun set and rise as it bathes the island in a warm hue is a pleasure. There are no inflated 5* prices for food or drink and relaxing in the Palm Lounge with a very large, cool glass of Sauvignon for €5 can't be bad. I've 'done' Malta in sightseeing terms but this hotel alone will bring me back and stay on my list of 'greats'.

Room Tip: A high floor with a harbour view is worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WendyHP
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear WendyHP,

Many thanks for the kind words you have shared with us on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to know that you had a pleasant stay at the Hotel Phoenicia. Thank you for your recommendation.

We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

whitley bay
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I decided to come to Malta only because of this hotel ,the pictures looked stunning ,and it's true upon arrival you are greeted by the outstanding bar area which is fabulous .The rest of the hotel is not quite so grand .Our room was a bit short of my expectation ,to be fair we were offered a change of room ,this was better but smelt of smoke the staff were really helpful and nice about it ,we decided to stay put .The pool area is some distance from the main building ,a nice view from there ,the staff there very nice also.The breakfast choice is very good and excellent quality .I would come back here again

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank heather b
Dear Heather B,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel Phoenicia by writing a review on Trip Advisor! Your wonderful comments are greatly appreciated and will serve as a wonderful motivator for our team.
Sorry to hear you had a few minor issues, we will surely use your feedback as a learning opportunity.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Phoenicia.
Kind regards
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night before joining a cruise ship. Working on ships I often stay in hotels and most of them don't even warrant a mention. This hotel however,is excellent. The decor of the rooms is contemporary and fresh,lots of light and space without losing comfort.
The staff are attentive and efficient.
Excellent location for walking into town.
You must stay here if ever in Valletta,it is wonderful.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Cru22
Dear Cru22,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stays at the hotel, I am delighted with your comments about the staff in particular and it is so kind of you to recommend us to Trip Advisor's readers, that really is appreciated. We very much look forward to your next visit.

UK
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I returned from a 2 week stay at the Phoenicia yesterday. I would like to say I was treated like Royalty - but it was better than that! The warmth, friendliness and efficiency is second to none.

The food was wonderful (particularly the fish dishes). The gardens are an oasis of peace (it would be nice if a few more tables and chairs could be provided in some of the more secluded spots).

For various reasons I was desperate for a reviving holiday - This stay could not have been more perfect

Room Tip: Second floor rooms with balconies are generally peaceful - its fun to sit on the balcony and watch t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank mothom
Dear Mothom,

Thank you so much for your great comments about your experience at the Phoenicia, your support of the hotel is hugely appreciated . We’d love to welcome you back and hope to see you soon.

Arcata, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Lovely hotel in excellent location for touring Valletta on foot and Malta by bus. Our room was comfortable and reasonably quiet. Hotel staff were consistently friendly and helpful. Lobby, piano bar, and other public areas are beautiful. There are extensive gardens behind hotel along walkway to pool. Breakfasts in dining room were expensive but excellent. Dinners were expensive and uneven. Hot dishes on offer at Sunday night buffet were shockingly bad. One evening our waitress said that there had been "a misunderstanding with the kitchen" by way of explaining why no food arrived at our table for over an hour. Dining outside hotel may be a better bet.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sjf2
Dear SJF2,

I would like to thank you for staying at the Hotel Phoenicia and for taking time to complete our guest questionnaire. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. It is very disappointing for us to learn that we have not been able to meet your expectations in all aspects of your stay.

Please rest assured that every effort will be made to improve the situation. I have already informed the relevant Heads of Department about your comments and I am confident that action will be taken to avoid similar occurrences in the future.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention. I truly hope that we may have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel Phoenicia in the future.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed with my aged mother for two nights in April. The location is perfect. Staff were very helpful and lovely and we were even invited for drinks in the grand lobby. The only downside are the bedrooms. There was a family with children in the adjoining room and it felt like they were sharing our room. We could hear almost every word and the screaming of the children kept us up at night. Luckily, my mother survived it. Cleanliness could also be improved. The price seems justified by the location and the lobby.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank wuselmouse
Dear Angelika2705,

I would like to thank you for staying at the Hotel Phoenicia and for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry for the inconveniences you and your mother encountered during your stay.

Your comments are much appreciated and will only ensure that we strive even harder in our efforts to enhance our standards of quality and services.

Best regards
Helena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 32 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,464 reviews

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!