“Lovely hotel in great location”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
“Lovely hotel in great location”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here with the family. Everything exactly as described. Didn't really appreciate how good the hotel and location was until we moved to another five star hotel in St Julian's which was like being parachuted into club land.

Biggest pluses are friendly staff, great pool area, Valletta is on the doorstep, and bus terminal too.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Richard R
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Richard R,

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and that the hotel location was convenient to your needs. We appreciate your review and recommendation and hope to welcome you and your family back to the Phoenicia, in the near future.

Helena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is the perfect hotel if you wish to stay in Valletta and have the comfort of not needing buses or taxis as it is right at the main entrance to the city. Loved this hotel. The rooms were lovely, the cleaning was efficient and thorough. The hotel has lovely facilities, the bars and restaurants were lovely, the staff very friendly all the time.

I have to say I loved the gardens and pool so much, I spent at least half a day there each day.
The hotel is very reasonably priced for its status and its history.

Room Tip: Room 414 looks straight out to the Grand Harbour. Lovely room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank conorbuggy
Dear Connorbuggy,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to learn that you have found our services, ambiance and location to your liking. We highly appreciate your comments particularly those about the staff.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Perfect location, lovely Hotel providing ambiance suitable for holidaying on this beautiful island. We have no reservations about recommending this Hotel & would undoubtably return here on a future visit to the Maltese Islands!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the Phoenicia with other Trip Advisor users. I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I thank you for recommending us to other travelers and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I generally visit Malta every year. This has been my first stay at the Phoenicia, although I have frequently visited the bar and terrace for drinks and food during previous visits.

Arrival: I arrived quite late - around 9pm - and the check-in process was very efficient. Unlike in previous hotels in Malta, there was no welcome drink which surprised me. The concierge helped me to my room with bags but made no attempt to show me the rooms features. He took the tip and left. The room appeared or be clean and functional and the air conditioning was very effective.

Breakfast: very good value at €14.50 and service was excellent with staff being very friendly, helpful and efficient.

Room: comfortable beds and adequate but non-luxurious amenities. Complimentary water was in the room but this was only replenished once during my 7day stay. Given that there is no purified water in the bathroom (in fact there is a warning not to drink the water) this was neither adequate nor safe. Behind the bathroom door there was an accumulation of dirt that suggested that the cleaners rarely closed the door to wipe down woodwork, etc. On two occasions during my stay the bed linens were not changed and a card appeared on my bed saying that this was in keeping with my wishes. Bizarre.

Pool: beautiful location but quite a distance from the hotel. Staff here were friendly and helpful. However the pool services were inadequate. Many of the towels were torn and there was little evidence of waiter service or pool assistance - e.g. On a couple of occasions I had to help other guests to move umbrellas with heavy bases. On one occasion during my stay, waiters came around with slices of water melon. This is the level of service I would have expected, but this was an unpredictable offering from the staff.

Front desk and concierge: generally polite and efficient. However, I was annoyed when members of staff would speak to each other in Maltese while helping me. Furthermore, on one occasion my Maltese friends who had come to pick me up, overheard the concierge making disparaging comments and ridiculing a gay couple who we're posing for photographs. Not what I would expect from front of house staff.

I realise that this is a very wordy review. There are many positives to this hotel that have already been stated by other clients - location and ambience are unparalleled. In spite of these, I regret to say, this was not a five star stay and I left very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank jum5251
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very nice city hotel. Good location - nearby gates to the old city of Valetta. Although in the middle of city it has quiet rooms. It offers free transfer for Golden Bay Beach - so if you tired with city you have an alternative. Friendly, and helpful staff. Lots of hotel services. Hotel is quite old - but it gives this exceptional atmosphere and can't be disadvantage. Very beautiful gardens with nice and big pool. Rooms are nice, and clean (not perfect in this matter). Very nice breakfasts - that can be perfect beginning of the day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank m_adrian8
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear m_adrian8,

Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay with at the Phoenicia. I am glad to learn that your stay was overall a pleasant experience and that hotel location and facilities are to your liking. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel has an excellent location for exploring Valletta and for the whole island as the bus station is just outside.
We had a harbour view room with a balcony which was lovely at the end of the day to relax and enjoy. We didn't have the breakfast deal but ate dinner in the restaurants a few evenings which was excellent.
The staff were friendly and efficient. We will certainly use the hotel again when we return to Malta next.

Room Tip: Harbour side rooms have the best views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diane M
Helena_Pavanello, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Diane M,

Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay at the Phoenicia. It’s good to know that your stay was a pleasant experience and that hotel location was convenient to your points of interest. I hope that maybe one day you will stay with us again.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Spent a week here with my Mum at the beginning of July. The hotel is lovely - old style - as it should be. The staff were all wonderful, and went out of their way to give us an enjoyable stay. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was very enjoyable, though we mostly ate out in the evenings. However, the breakfast buffet was extensive and fresh. There was a very peaceful and calm atmosphere all the time, which was wonderful. We went on the Terrace every evening and thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment supplied by the pianist/singer and the bar staff. Pierre, in particular, had a good rapport with the pianist and had us all in stitches!
As everyone says, it is only 5 minutes to the gates of Valletta and the bus station. There is a lot to do and see in Malta. The history of the Island is very interesting. The buildings are full of character, and the churches are absolutely beautiful inside. Just to make everything perfect, the Maltese people are so warm and friendly. Would love to go back to Malta and to the Hotel Pheonicia.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank suzy4733
Dear Suzy4733,

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you found the Phoenicia's ambiance and tranquility to your liking. We appreciate your review and recommendation and hope to welcome you and your mother back in the future.

Helena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta
La Falconeria
La Falconeria
#3 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!