“Overall excellent location and service”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Edinburgh
“Overall excellent location and service”
Reviewed 3 May 2009

The public areas and restaurants have undergone extensive recent refurbishment. It is ideally situated for the bus terminus, which provides the best way of seeing the great variety of towns and villages and attractions on the island. Valetta is bustling in the daytime but is rather quiet at night, so restaurants need to be sought out.

The staff are the hotels finest asset, and are friendly and helpful across the board. A small problem was efficently and courteously dealt with by the management team. The general manager went beyond the call of duty in ensuring we had a fantastic stay, and I will definitely return to this hotel in the future.

1 Thank PaulJ80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 May 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a week in Valletta at The Hotel Phoenicia. We loved it!!. The hotel is situated at the main entrance gate to The Old City and the main Malta bus terminus. You are right on site for all the wonderful sights to be seen in Valletta. There was a whole lot more then my tourist guide had in it. We will have to go back for another week to see everything in Valletta alone. Being on the doorstop of the bus terminal also gave us easy access to the other places of interest especially Mdina and don't forget to get the bus to the Gozo ferry and travel to the other Island. We were lucky enough to be there for The fireworks festival and had a fabulous view of the proceedngs from our terrace. I have read in other reviews about the newly decorated bedrooms but we were allocated one of the older ones. To be honest this room was as good as you could want: comfortable, clean all the amenities. I could not fault it in any way. Houskeeping knocked twice daily( not that we were there) to see if you needed anything and it was always easy to locate one of the houskeeping staff on the corridor if you did need anything. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming. Particular mention to Mary(houskeeping) and Sebastian, the conceriege who gave advice on restaurants and also saved us a walk by letting us in on the secret to getting to the Grand Harbour quickly - use the lift in the car park facing the hotel, go to level -6 and walk down the well-lit tunnel, turn right and there you are. The only drawbacks are minor. We were in room 229 which although we had a view of the fireworks, we had no sun after early morning. Also as we were side on to the bus terminal, which is a tourist attraction in its own right, it was noisy from around 6.30am. The drivers tend to use their horns a lot and seem to keep their finger on it until the obstacle, usually another bus, has moved. As we sleep with the balcony door open I realise that this made the noise greater but I also looked on it as local life in Valletta and while it did not unduly bother me I can see how some folk would prefer to be on another side of the hotel. As I said these were very minor problems and easily fixed if desired. The buffet breakfast was beautiful and on two days there were homemade cup cakes like mother used to make mmmm!. A must is a stroll in the beautiful hotel gardens, seven acres, and a swim in the pool backing onto the bastions of the old city walls. We explored Malta every day and I always found the Phoenica a haven to return to at the end of a busy day. I highly recommend this hotel.
MB, Dublin, Ireland

2 Thank MaryLB
UK
Reviewed 29 April 2009

A nice hotel, but I would really argue with the 5-star rating. It's a good 4-star at most - it just doesn't have the facilities you would expect of a five star hotel.

We stayed in one of the renovated rooms, which was nicely done. Reception staff, bar staff and the chamber maids were all really friendly and very good, but the hotel failed on the details. Despite a fairly hefty room rate, the toiletries were very basic, the service in the restaurants not great. On the Saturday we were getting ready to attend a wedding and tried to call for room service. Called twice, waited each time for about 5 minutes. Had to call Reception twice and get transferred from there, finally managed to get hold of someone. The pool area is nice, but if you have bad weather as we did, there is no indoor pool.

From the website, it seemed as though there was a spa so I booked in for treatments to find out that it's not a spa at all, but a rather pokey little room with no door, next to the hairdresser. This makes having a massage fairly pointless as it's not relaxing hearing the chatter and hairdryers going off next to you. It's also right next to a very busy bus terminal which is great if you want to use buses to travel around but not great if you want a lie-in.

We had a really great time all the same though, as we were with our friends and family.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I recently had the good fortune to be given a trip to Malta for my 30th Birthday by my boyfriend. I had preconceptions of Malta being a very quiet and dusty place. How wrong I was. We arrived in Luqa airport and drove a short 20 minutes to The Phoenicia Hotel where we were staying. The grand enterance leads you to the foyer of one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever seen. I was told thet hotel was recently refurbished but the Art Deco style that the hotel is famous for has not been compromised. We were met by enthusiastic and extremely helpful staff who welcomed us warmly to this wonderful hotel. We were then led to our beautifully refurbished rooms with stunning views of the bay. We then decided to go to the bar for what we thought would be just a snack! Five different plates of delicious 'nibbles' which kept me full for hours, were layed out in front of us. The mini rabbit pies and pupmkin and cream cheese pies were to die for and left me in no soubt that I would happily spend my time eating my way through this holiday! All of the staff bend over backwards to help with the smallest quiery. Night life is never too far away either with buses leaving every 20 minuteas from just outside the hotel go to St. Julians. All in all, I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough for people of all ages.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank keeva-Maria
Kusel, Germay
Reviewed 19 April 2009

This was our second trip to Malta and our stay at the Phonecia was good but not great. They put their capital improvements budget everywhere but in the rooms. Sure, the bar looked great, and the pool and grounds are their best feature. But, the rooms are worn - needing renovation badly. And our first floor (second floor for Americans) room was very noisy early in the morning. There just wasn't value for the dollar that we paid. But, if you want to stay in Valetta and have the main bus terminal right outside your front door - this is the place to stay.

East Midlands
Reviewed 7 April 2009

The Hotel Phoenicia is a 'colonial style hotel', recently refurbished with excellent rooms and public areas. The Pegasus Brasserie offered good value, and the public rooms were very bright and airy. We did not eat in the main restaurant, but if the breakfast was anything to go on it too would not have disappointed. Breakfast was buffet style with an amazing selection of everything from fresh fruit and swiss muesli to a cooked breakfast individually prepared. The croissants were some of the best I had ever tasted! The down side, the pool was a long walk, however the gardens en route were very pretty.

1 Thank Dakota63
Banbury
Reviewed 5 April 2009

Probably the best hotel in Malta (or will be when refurbishment is complete). Great position for visiting wonderful historic Valetta, good transport links for bus and ferries to Sliema.
A few details need owner's attention! Water supply in en-suite has notice saying 'not for drinking', but only bottled water from mini bar priced at 4 euros available as an alternative. Free drinking water should be supplied daily as a matter of course. (We went to M&S and stocked up on litres costing 85c.Local shops were probably even cheaper).
No laundry service available at weekend so should at least supply iron and ironing board in room.
Public rooms beautifully and sensitively renovated, but bedroom decor a very depressing and boring brown! On one wall dark brown wallpaper with large ivory chrysanthemum pattern which will rapidly date, other walls pale coffee, mouse coloured carpet, hessian curtains, and turquoise coloured chairs, cushions, and runner on bed. All white bedding. Very high bed, need a footstool to reach it if you are small!
Snacks apparently served in bar all day, but I never saw anyone having any. More informal and reasonably priced coffee shop would attract more custom in these straitened times. Room service menu almost non-existent after 22.00 hrs. Breakfast was OK but not terribly exciting, and over a period of 7 days was very repetitive. More imagination required.
Heated pool available all year round, but no attendants for towels, drinks etc so not suitable or safe for lone swimmers or young people.
No social programme while we were there, but I did spy a flyer announcing some activities beginning Easter week.
We would certainly use this hotel again, but hope that more attention is paid to detail in future.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta
La Falconeria
La Falconeria
#3 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!