“It's rare I miss a hotel the instant I check out”

The Phoenicia Malta
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Dublin
“It's rare I miss a hotel the instant I check out”
Reviewed 17 June 2009

It's rare I miss a hotel the instant I check out but that's the effect the Phoenicia had on me. My stay there was six days of bliss and comfort. The atmosphere is welcoming and hospitable. The staff are attentive but not invasive. There are no pretentions when it comes to dress code, as is the case with many other five star hotels and the facilities are superb. I was particularly taken by the colonial style club bar, reminiscent of a bygone era and the swimming pool with its panoramic view of the port of Valetta. I can't recommend it enough and I'm sure you'r stay there will be as memorable as mine.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Leicestershire
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Have been to this hotel every year for the past 10 years and I still cannopt fault the wonderful holidays we have here. The staff are like our family, you could not be made more welcome in this wonderful hotel.
Dinner and breakfast are very relaxed and nothing is too much trouble for the staff there if you need anything. Food is of high standard and the bar is very intimate yet relaxing in the evening after your meal.
The staff make this hotel even more special as they are simply wonderful. We will continue to go every year and have already booked our next trip for sept 2009. 10/10

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
CharlesGM, General Manager at The Phoenicia Malta, responded to this review, 18 June 2009
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff at the Phoenicia, I would like to thank you for your positive comments following your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in September.

dublin
Reviewed 15 June 2009

i recently stayed in hotel phoenicia for 6 days and had a wonderful experience. i thought the hotel itself was amazing with beautiful gardens and a lovely pool area. i found the staff very helpful but not overly so and they were extremely friendly in a lovely warm way. it was very relaxed and comfortable with all the trimmings of 5 star luxury.

the food was great too lots of different places for dining in the hotel so something to cater for everyone, it would be definitley somewhere i would recommend and visit again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank gillyDublin
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Phoenicia. I am pleased that you enjoyed our facilities and service. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Malta and to the Phoenicia.

winchester
Reviewed 15 June 2009

The Phoenicia is an elegant, stylish hotel on the doorstep of Valletta - in just a few steps we were inside the city gates and close to the shops and the amazing range of historical buildings.
A great feature was the beutifful garden, which we walked through to reach the swiming pool, which overlooks the harbour.
The service is excellent - there is a great Front of House Manager ( Neville) who organised everything for our stay ( we booked independently) and without exception staff were friendly, helpfula and efficient. This was our third visit and we will certainly go again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. On behalf of all the staff (and particularly Neville who was overjoyed with the mention), I thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Cork
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We visited Malta last year and stayed at the Phoenicia then to but felt the hotel was in need of a facelift. We then were toying with the idea of a return visit as there is so much to do in malta and when we were looking we saw the hotel and recieved an extensive makeover so we decided to make a return trip... We were not disappointed! the refurbishment of the hotel has been exceptional and they have blended the old and the new very well. The overall service we received was superb, a nice welcome, bags in the room before we were and one of the best breakfast buffets i have seen in a long time each morning. We stayed a week and spent our time relaxing by the pool or visiting one of the many historical sites in Malta. We ate in a couple of times they have two restaurants - both excellent with great food and great service but the terrace at the back of the hotel (also were breakfast is) is the most beautiful setting dinner is worth the sunset alone! They only down side would be the lack of a spa - my wife is a fan! Will we return? absolutely!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Gozo
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We regularly stay in five star hotels all over the world. This is one of the friendliest we know, probably because we stay so regularly. The service is very personal. The improvements so far are excellent although my husband is not keen on the new bar in the palm lounge. It is good for the day but lacks any form of atmosphere at night. The Phoenix Restaurant is great since it was re-vamped and the seating much more comfortable. Service generally has improved considerably at breakfast over the past two years as it was very slow before this. When we ate in the Phoenix restaurant yesterday evening we could not fault the service we received - it was very good. We know all the reception staff exceedingly well and they are always so polite, friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble.
We like the Phoenicia for it's convenience to Valletta and St. Paul's Pro-Cathedral as well.
The Gardens and walk to the Pool are a treat for me.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the improvements following the refurbishment to your liking. The new bar in the Palm Court Lounge is indeed attracting a lot more business during the day. It is also getting popular in the evenings so I am sure that there will be an improved atmosphere in the evenings by your next visit.

Thank you for taking the time to write and we look forward to welcoming you back.

world
Reviewed 12 June 2009

I have been regularly travelling to Malta for the last few years and for me the only place to stay is the Phoenicia Hotel. The hotel is very conveniently situated just outside the main gates of the world heritage city of Valetta, separated only by the bus terminus (a small wonder in itself) and useful if you feel like exploring further afield.
I always like to ask for the same room where I can sit out on a balcony, relax and enjoy the afternoon sun and the magnificent view overlooking the harbour. As soon as I walk into the Phoenicia, I feel at home again; it’s that warm welcoming feeling given by the staff and the décor, ambience and character that are all so unique to the hotel.
The Palm Court lounge (an awesome central feature of the hotel) has recently been refurbished and is the ideal meeting place for morning coffee, afternoon tea or just simply an evening drink with friends before dinner.
At this time of the year, both breakfast and dinner are served out on the terrace which overlooks the 7 acres of mature gardens and the harbour. A new a la carte menu has just been introduced and the exquisite selections of the menu are all freshly prepared and cooked to order.
I have also had the opportunity to dine several times in the less formal restaurant – the Pegasus Brasserie - where both the food and service are just as excellent.
The one particular reason why I love to go to the Phoenicia is the staff. Wherever you are, from the moment you enter the Phoenicia in the reception and the concierge, to the housekeeping and dining staff, they are all very friendly, efficient, helpful and proud to be part of the Phoenicia.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank World0075
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#2 of 15 in Valletta
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta

Been to The Phoenicia Malta? Share your experiences!