2,565 results
All reviews club bar the palm court phoenix restaurant infinity pool the bus grand old lady old world charm public rooms elegant hotel main restaurant city gate old style star hotel a harbour view room main gate fourth floor building work
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I stayed at the Phoenicia in July 2010 having contacted the hotel directly to discuss my room and board requirements and to discuss the facilities offered. I booked a Deluxe Harbour View Room on half board. I was advised that this room had a balcony overlooking Valletta Harbour and pictured my wife and I enjoying a glass of wine sitting on the balcony before going to dinner.

On arrival we were shown to our room which was very nice and had been refurbished with a flat screen TV, comfortable bed, efficient A/C etc but there was no balcony! I asked at reception about the lack of balcony and the person on there really did not want to know. He was totally disinterested and just shrugged - telling is to come back tomorrow morning. We did and was offered another room on the 1st floor. This was not a "Deluxe" room and had not been renovated. It was dated and tired - very small, chipped floor tiles, no carpet, A/C that did not work, ancient television and scruffy bathroom. We opted to remain in our "Deluxe" room without the balcony.

The remainder of the holiday was fine. The food was truly excellent, the service pretty good and attentive in the restaurant (albeit a bit slow and occasionally the staff had to be reminded of what had been ordered). Housekeeping was good and the staff always smiling and spoke as one passed, they cleaned the rooms in the morning and then came back late afternoon to turn on the bedside light and turn back the beds - a nice touch. I found the staff by the pool to be OK but prices for drinks expensive - 4 Euros for a lemonade and 5.5 Euros for a pint of lager. Pool facilities were poor - changing rooms inadequate (not 5*), sun beds needed new cushions as some were dirty and torn, some parasols were broken but the area was clean and tidy and the gardens attractive and well cared for.

The concierge was helpful and advised on trips, sightseeing, bus time tables etc etc

What disappointed me was the attitude of their House Manager on the last day. Whilst booking the hotel, I had asked him by e-mail about a late check-out room. He e-mailed me back saying this could not be guaranteed but they would do their best to allow a late check-out and that there would be no charge. I was pleased by this and felt it fair enough. On our last day I asked if we could keep the room until 6.00pm and was told that this was not a problem but the cost would be 60 Euros. I reminded them that he had said in writing that the cost was zero. I had not printed the e-mail so asked if I could use the Business Center internet - I was told yes but this would cost 9.5 Euros for 2 hours use. I explained I only wanted a few minutes to print an e-mail but the reception staff refused and told us about an internet cafe 5 minutes walk away in Valletta. I went there, used their internet (at a cost of 1.5 Euros) printed off the e-mail and went back to complain. The hotel then agreed that we could keep the room to 6pm as previously agreed but this left a nasty taste given the amount of trouble we had to go to prove what they had offered. Later that afternoon I asked for the Reception if he could order a taxi @ 6.00pm for us to go the airport. We come down to the reception a couple of minutes before 6pm - no taxi. We waited but still nothing. I then asked the man on the Concierge desk and our taxi had not been ordered!! Moreover, the taxi rank outside the hotel was empty and he telephoned 4 companies but could not get a taxi. We started to panic - it was now 6.15pm and no taxi in sight. The concierge went off in search of a car; their House Manager was on the reception desk and I asked him how we were going to get to the airport and he, like before, could not be more disinterested - I imagine that we had paid the bill by now so we could get lost. After a wait and more stress the concierge returned with a taxi - we went to get in it only to find that he had offered it to a Maltese couple who had appeared from nowhere and were clearly known to the staff. At this point it became too much for my wife who started to complain - we were worried that we were going to miss our flight as it was now 6.30pm and very stressed. Another car came along and we did make our flight - no thanks to the Manager and his apathetic staff.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Nice garden and pool overlooking harbor and walls of the old town. Walking distance to old town. The bathrooms are dated and need renovation. Beds were small only queen sized for the double rooms and rooms cramped. More character than St Julian's hotels but not really luxurious.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We recently returned from our holiday in Malta booked through Chevron - (12th to 22nd June) staying at the Phoenicia Hotel. We were extremely disappointed and appalled at the quality of our room in this 5 Star hotel.
We particularly booked a 5 Star hotel for the extra comfort and amenities. There was tea/coffee making facilities in a cupboard, but no power so you had to plug the kettle into a socket on the other side of the room and then carry it back to the cupboard, which is both unsatisfactory and dangerous.
The floor was stained and looked dirty all around the edge of the room, the furniture was extremely shabby and the bathroom was substandard.
We feel that for the price of £1,658 we did not get what we paid for. If we had booked into a 3 star hotel in Valetta, which this was the equivalent of, it would have only cost us £1,280.

We also took 3 tours booked and recommended by our Chevron rep of which two were with the same tour guide, we found her extremely rude and only wanted to talk about what the Maltese people eat and, for instance, when we questioned her about local vineyards all we got back was a very sharp reply of 'I will tell you later', which she didn't do. There was one incident on the Malta Highlights tour when I asked to use the toilet facilities and was told the coach toilet was not in operation and when I asked to use the hotel facility when we stopped to pick up other guests I was basically told that if I wasn't quick they would go without me. Very unsatisfactory as the three tours cost a total of 190 euros.

On the Malta Highlights we did not see the hightlights of Malta, for instance we were told of the famous Mosta dome which is part of the Maltese war history as it was bombed but survived, however we were only shown this at a distance from the coach window. If it was that famous surely it should have been included in the tour. We were given a whistle stop tour (10 minutes) of Mdina one of the islands most famous cities, missing out many of the interesting places.

On both land tours we were the first pick up, the guide not joining us for over an hour, so we were not told about any highlights as there was no-one to tell us anything until she boarded the coach. She even left us before the end of the Gozo tour to go back on our own.

The only tour that we can say was value for money was the Round Malta Cruise.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Lesley C
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed last year and were so impressed we asked for the same room.We also were offered a better rate and with the Euro on a downward slope made the trip even better. But, we were so impressed we asked our best friends to accompany us and they liked it so much they are wanting to go back with us next year.
Our room was on the second floor and had 3 balconies, though we never used the one from the bathroom. These are the rooms in the old style with marble floor and Llyod-Loom furniture. For us these are preferable as when it gets hot the rooms feel much cooler and the furniture retains the colonial feel. The bathroom could do with an update, but that is being pernicity. All the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, from the chambermaid to the manager. Especially Neville on the front desk and Sebastian the concierge (what he doesn,t know isn't worth knowing). Sebastian will also tell you what is going on, special events and tips on how to get there.
Being next to the bus terminal, you can get anywhere and although they are old and rickerty, they are part of the character of the island.
The swimming pool has been refurbished and set in a wonderful location. We have yet to try the miniture golf. All in all a very pleasant stay made possible by the hotel ambience and the very kind and curtious staff.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charwallah
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Once upon a time this hotel would have hummed when it was no doubt the centre of Establishment and Royal Navy life and society. Unfortunately that has all gone and this is a hotel with no sense of purpose or presence.

It is populated by principally elederly British couples who like to go abroad but don't want anything too foreign and as such the Phoenicia probably is fit for purpose. However, it gives it a rather forlorn air and a lingering memory of a more lavish past.

The rooms: I changed four times before eventually settling on a harbour facing suite which was adequate rather than anything terribly special. The standard rooms (refurbished) are small boxes with not particular good decor and are somewhat clinical. Air conditioning took time to master and as it was very hot and sultry, definitely needed to be more efficient. Linens, towels and ungents were reasonale but lighting was poor, as the bedside tables seemed to be compeltely the wrong proportion for the room.

Only meal I had was breakfast, which was fine with a hideous buffet installation looking like the tardis in what would otherwise have been a rather elegant dining room. Dreadful background music. The bar however made a surprisingly good dry martini, so full marks for that.

The grounds are rather a long sliver of quite well manicured flower beds and trees linking the hotel to the pool area. A pleasant walk and quite dramatic given the overall setting of the Bastion. Pool is on the small size (12m or so) and surrounded by rather scruffy pool furniture. Changing rooms rather dingy and with a strong smell of drains. A sad looking bar area where they do make a rather nice fresh lemonade but with the radio blaring, not a place to linger.

Service was grudging rather than engaging, perhaps that's why the British like it because it reminds them of home.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business