“A charming spot and an equally charming hostess”
Review of Angelica

Angelica
Ranked #196 of 235 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
New York City, New York
“A charming spot and an equally charming hostess”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Was in Malta two weeks ago and on the day we were exploring Valetta, we were looking a spot for lunch (and to escape the noon heat). Angelica's was delightful find. We chose a table indoors and the staff warmly welcomed us in. The three of us each ordered three different entrees (and I also ordered the much-touted potatoes). Each dish was a knock-out, the wine delicious and the three desserts really capped off an wonderful afternoon spent here. Angelica chatted with us and the other guests a really went out of her way to make us comfortable. I only wish I had time to visit again during my trip.

As to the numerous comments about the cost, yes it was expensive but I knew that before I went in. If you go to a restaurant and don't check the menu or prices beforehand then you get what you deserve.

2 Thank PaulTena

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Queensland, Australia
“Not my kind of place”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Overpriced, rip-off, tried to charge us for more food than we consumed, wait staff kept trying to recommend more and more dishes. Yes, they were really friendly and very very nice to us. It made it hard to make a scene right then and there. The location is great and quaint, a little cafe in a little street behind the Royal Palace - the thought that the Maltese Parliament was sitting behind the walls close to us was unreal. A lovely place to stop for lunch we thought. We regret it now, at over 65euros for lunch, that was pretty steep for a bland 'maltese pizza' which I distinctly said I would share with my husband and in the bill they charged us for 2 (i know my maths, how can 2 halves of a pizza be equal to 2 whole pizzas? They insisted that's how they come - in halves!!!). One of the guys' moussaka was a dried out mess but he was charmed by the waitress and didn 't bother to complain. The Angelica's salad was OK, apparently. Never even realized the total cost of our lunch until the bill came and i had to query everything as it seemed inordinately high (originally close to 80euros until i pointed out we did not order 2 slices of chocolate cake!). Overall, not my kind of place. I cannot understand the gushing praise others have had for this establishment. This place is clearly a tourist trap. Jaimie Oliver needs to travel around Malta more, we've had awesome rabbit elsewhere!

12 Thank geckopoo
Evry, France
“Three cheers to the rabbit!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Rabbit in champagne? I mean, really! How weird does it get? At least, that's what I thought when my mate and I hit Angelica's place. So finally ordering it was tantamount to a dare! But what shall I say? It was really delicious, loved every bit of it. As they say, to live is to learn. Had a fine Italian Promis (90 points in Wine Spectator, couldn't miss out on that one) which turned out to be an excellent choice. Great ambiance and as it happened we hit upon them on their live music day which was very nice as well.

2 Thank Arnaud231
Gdansk, Poland
“Looks good, actually fairly mediocre”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

So we stopped off at this restaurant on our first night in Valletta, we saw the reviews in the window and thought we'd found a little gem. The staff were polite and helpful, the location was a little unsettling as there were cars driving inches behind our seats, and the seats and tables were pretty wobbly. The food when it came was good, although the portions were tiny. The bill in hindsight was vastly overpriced, especially once we had experienced other local restaurants.

6 Thank Alasdair555
Aachen, Germany
“Fantastic place, terrific atmosphere”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Scrumptious fresh calamari, great selection of reds, whites and bubbly. Also, have never seen such a great choice of chocolates!

2 Thank Peschwe