“Location, location, location!”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Location, location, location!”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The Castille Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the bus station, perfect for exploring Valletta and next to the Upper Barrakka gardens with fantastic views over Grand harbour. We stayed here twice in June. On the first occasion the first room was rather small but on the second we had a huge room. This has everything to do with the position of the original windows and how they divided the space up for hotel use, the Castile being a former palace.
The décor is somewhat dated but the beds were clean and comfortable. The bathrooms too are in need of some modernisation, only a handheld shower head in the bath. The bathrooms would benefit from a good clean with Cillit Bang!
There is a rooftop restaurant with equally spectacular views over the harbour and one can see as far as Mdina. The food a bit hit and miss however, this is where a rather mundane breakfast is served in the morning. The coffee was especially poor.
However the staff are extremely friendly and helpful and in relation to how much we paid good value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cityfan097

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Finnish first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Hotel Castille was good for my quick visit in Valletta because it was easily accessible by foot from the Valletta Bus Terminus and it is situated at a beautiful part of the city (The Upper Barakka Garden and the impressive Grand Harbour are just a few steps away.)
The hotel is in a historic building and the room design reflected this old-style. The furniture and the bathroom equipments were a bit worn but functioned well. The room provided me with all the coziness I could expect for such a friendly rate I paid. Due to the old thick walls and that my room faced a narrow street it was cool and quiet so despite the heat wave I could sleep really well after the all-day long sightseeing. The breakfast was rather small-scale but was served on the top floor on a kind of roof terrace from where the sight was amazing.
I couldn't miss to note here that the staff was more than welcoming and kind. I informed them of my early arrival in advance and they let me get my room already at 10:30.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AviationFun
Afton, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The staff are friendly but seem unable to do anything about simple problems, "Sorry but it's switched off ...." when for the second night there's no air con.

Breakfast closes early but that really doesn't matter because, except for the coffee, it's not worth getting up for.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank bbean1

Travellers are raving about these Valletta hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Yes - this hotel is old and some would say dated. However, this adds to the charm of the hotel and is in line with the charm and history of Valetta. We stayed for a week and were very impressed with the friendly and helpful staff. The roof top restaurant is to die for with great views across Grand Harbour and definitely the best place in town to sit and have your breakfast. The hotel does have WiFi on all floors and we had no problems with internet access. The hotel's location is great for access to many of the key parts of Valetta and it is only a few minutes walk to the bus station, from where you can travel all around Malta on modern air conditioned buses. We liked the hotel so much that we intend to stay there again when we go back next year.

Room Tip: Rooms 12 and 14 overlook the main street with enclosed balcony's. Great for sitting but not goo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tristram C
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed a week at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I had a room on the first room overlooking the front of the hotel which was great for people watching. The rooms are a little dated but this added to the the charm of the place. My room was very clean and the overall cleanliness of the whole hotel was to a high standard. The location is fabulous, very central to exploring Valletta and a short walk to the bus station where you can get buses to explore the rest of the island. The breakfast was enjoyable and the views of the city from the restaurant were incredible. I also had an evening meal in the roof top restaurant which was delicious. The staff were very friendly and offered good advice and directions to the various tourist sites.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ang0157
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I came to Malta on 17 May and was leaving on 20th. I booked a room at this hotel because I wanted to live in Valetta and not far from the bus station. This variant seemed the best option in terms price-my wishes. But I got an experience which I had never thought of encountering. I could stay at this hotel only for one night instead of three because of two things. 1. There was no hot water in my room (23), i.e. there was something dripping the temperature of which I can best describe as lukewarm. I reported it at 11 a.m., came back at 5 p.m. to see that shower head&hose were changed, but nothing changed in terms of hot water existence. I reported, was told to wait till tomorrow. Tomorrow I woke up to find something which annoyed me much more than a want of adequately temperatured water . 2. Tiny BUGS (see pic). They lived (not sure if the past tense is the best option here as I am sure they are still there) in the TVset. I felt something creeping on my arm after having stood for half a minute 20cm away from this device. I looked at the unfortunate limb of mine. Saw nothing. Looked again more carefully and saw a little white thing which I had to kill. And then another one, and another. And then I looked at the TV set and saw tens of them and then I realized that my videocam and ipad had been under it charging were covered with them all over. Here was a knock on the door. A plumber. A voice from the bathroom – But everything is OK with the water. An awkward moment when you are on the brink of feeling stupid. The guy looking at you correspondingly and holding the shower head with a waterfall of water. But only he did not even try to turn the hot tap on!!! Then he said OK, I’ll repair it, I said – have a look at the local fauna, he made a suggestion that the fauna had appeared from the street during the night, this suggestion was ruled out as the species were also found in the middle of the room and on the grounds of being absurd, the plumber said he would ask the manager to come to me. Oh, these 30 minutes during which I was killing tiny creatures which were everywhere, packing my things and waiting in vain for the manager. In the end I came down where I was met by a man at the reception who said that there was no manager at the premises then and was eager to know what had happened. A little play of me telling him the news about which he had already been informed and him pretending to hear it for the first time. In the end I got my money back for two nights and went out to the Upper Barracca Gardens to a free wifi spot to look for a new place to live instead of going to Gozo which was my initial plan for that day as I wanted to go to the Crafts Village there. Well, I do not recommend this hotel as you might have guessed, at first it gives a positive impression when you enter the reception area,but the room is bearably shabby and old, and sometimes unbearably dirty, and this hotel can ruin your plans. I will never risk this kind of hotel in Valetta in future, as a taxi driver who took me to Sliema said that “Hotels in Valetta are either very expensive or crap”. So I moved to Sliema and regretted that it was not my choice from the start as it is a nice place and you can go to everywhere you want by bus from there also.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank StaceySapphira
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The staff at this hotel are very friendly, but they did not make up for the lack of hot water, uncomfortable bed and air con (it was on full but did not make any difference to the temparature of the room). Breakfast was a disappointing selection.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business