“A great hotel in the centre of Valletta”
Review of Castille Hotel

Castille Hotel
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 3 October 2009

The staff was very kind and helpful. the first room we stayed in was very nice and confortable, then they moved us to a second room where we stood for 3 days. THis one was smaller for three adults but as nice as the other one.
The Castelle is located in the centre of Valletta next to the Barakka Gardens and so it's a good place to stay if you don't have a car because everything is near.
The thing i liked best was the view from the first room and the view from the breakfast room.
The only thing I didn't like was that they charged us the same for two different rooms.

• Stayed: September 2009
There are newer reviews for Castille Hotel

Reviewed 29 August 2009

It just didn't do it for me. I stayed two nights here on a return from Gozo, and one night at a different hotel on the way to Gozo. I thought the value at the other hotel in Valletta was better, and as it was nearly right around the corner from the Castill, I can't say the location would be a selling point.

There was nothing I can say that was particularly wrong with the place, but it wasn't as warm and welcoming as other places I stayed. The rooms were furnished in faux italian, seemed a bit overdone for the building, and I much prefer simple. I liked having air conditioning, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel, it just felt like a regular hotel, versus the intimate, quieter place I was somehow expecting. The restaurant on the roof took 30 minutes just to bring a menu. Another 40 to take order, and then 15minutes later, our drinks. By that time, shortly after we got our drinks (water and wine) we got our food. They were only half full, and I could see that staff busy, but it seemed overly long, even for Europe. When it is 100 degrees outside, I would think drinks would be a priority.

The bathroom - no shower, like most places in Malta, you sit in the tub and use a hand held.

Certainly I would recommend as a transition hotel, but I wouldn't stay here as my main base in Valletta unless I had exhausted other possibilities.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2009

A strange one this, if the reviews have atteacted you then you'll probably love it, you certainly won't be a sun worshipper or pool lounger but will probably be either on business, studying something, writing, a traveller , as its that sort of hotel. An historic building right at the heart of the city but quiet at night, near the restored gardens and handy for the buses. My single room was small but airy, air con rattled to much so left window open, odd noises and early start to bin emptying but perhaps you'll like the extra time in the morning. Breakfasts a let down, evening food school dinner territory. Staff helpful and friendly, all long serving, well in front of other hotel staff o Malta even 5* places.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Stayed here for a long weekend with my wife last weekend. The location is probably the best thing about this hotel for a city break, with the rooftop restaurant a real winner.
We had a room round the back so no view to enjoy while in the room, but very quiet.
There did seem to be wifi routes but as I was on holiday I didn't partake :-)
Some of the rooms may be a little tired in terms of the decor, but it was clean and tidy. The downsides about the rooms are no tea and coffee facilities and the shower is a hand held job.
The staff were excellent with good service, help and advice when required.
We ate in the rooftop restaurant twice (first and last nights). The food was good both times, with an edge on the last night. The service was remarkably quick for Malta ;-), with the waiters very friendly and ready to answer questions about the sights. The views, both at breakfast and in the evening, were fantastic. We also ate in the cellar restaurant (La Cave) but found the food and the service were not of the same standard (in fact my wifes pizza was very poor).
But overall we found the location and staff were faultless.
Not sure I should say this, but we got a very good rate for the room through a website that sounds like hotel.com

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in late February. The hotel is not fancy, and the rooms are small and somewhat spartan, but it is a charming old building, and the location--right by the old city gate--cannot be beaten; all of Valetta is within easy walking distance. Breakfast (included in the rate) is served on a rooftop terrace with a wonderful view of the city and the harbor. There is also a restaurant (moderate prices) in the basement. The staff is helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Stayed at the Castille for 5 nights. The hotel is conveniently situated at the edge of Valletta, very close to the bus terminus (about a 5 minute walk). The staff are very helpful and friendly and cannot do enough to make your holiday or stay perfect. The rooms are in need of a little TLC with decor and furnishings looking tired and dated. Amenities in the rooms are limited with no hairdryer (I suspect the hotel staff would have provided one if asked for), drinks fridge etc. However, this was no problem for me.

Breakfast is taken in the stunning dining room on the 5th floor with fabulous views over the Grand Harbour and Floriana. The restaurant has a number of tables outside so it is possible to take your breakfast outside. As with most continental hotels, breakfast is a simple affair of juice, fruit, cheese and cold meats etc. The hotel does offer dinner (both for residents and outsiders) and whilst the food was OK the view over the harbour at night time was stunning.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2009

As many have noted, the location and charm of this hotel make it an excellent choice. The staff were every bit as welcoming and helpful as we had read in the reviews. The basement "La Cave" restaurant was great for inexpensive meals with a unique atmosphere and the rooftop restaurant was ideal for the buffet breakfast. If you are a light sleeper, do seek out an off street room as the rubbish and delivery trucks make a bit of noise in the wee hours. Unless you're seeking a more luxurious venue, I don't think you can go wrong with this choice.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family