“good for solo travellers”
Review of Castille Hotel

Castille Hotel
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 19 June 2010

i stayed here for 4 nights and used the hotel as a touring base.The room was on the small side but was clean and of a good standard,The breakfasts were quite satisfactory and the views from the Restaraunt were amazing-On advise I found out about Supreme travel and used their tours throughout my stay,also there is a very good cafe at the Upper Barraka gardens(not to be missed) serving good basic food at very affordable prices. also treat yourself to a tour of Gozo its great.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank rickarch

Reviewed 29 March 2010

Ive been staying at this hotel for one night. The architecture is great, the staff extremely friendly and it is very central. However I have been disappointed because of my room and the restaurant. My extremely small room had dirty, stinky carpets, old dusty furnish and brown stains all over the walls. I didnt have covers, instead I had to use woolen blankets that werent washed (when I checked out I saw that they had put them back to the drawer for the next guest). Towells were torn and had holes. Not what I would expect from a 3 star hotel...the bathroom was as big as a telephone-booth. Overall there was an old, weird and unpleasant smell.
The restaurant was dirty and old...it was a great pity - because the sight onto the city was extraordinarily!
The staff has been one of the nices Ive ever met...therefore its a pity that I cant recommend this hotel. Will not return anymore.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Couldn't fault this hotel for the price and location. It had real character. The staff were extremely friendly but not intrusive. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2010

This hotel is in a 17th palace adjoining the president's own palace- itself a former auberge of the lang of Castille. Expect old world charm, a ring side seat at probably the best view in the mediterranea- the grand harbour and most of malta- a fabulous front of house team-Ronnie and Manuel in the restaurant; if yoy dont spend at least one day with the sun coming up and setting whislt respectively eating breakfast and supper in the roof top restaurant you are missing the best that malta has to offer!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank rollosmithwrites
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We generally look at trip advisor prior to booking hotels and due to the experience i need to comment.

The location is great, the staff are freindly. The hotel rooms are in desperate need of a refurbishment, the common areas are good and suit the fabric of the building.

Bathroom, the shower was a trickle at best, the curtain rail fell off each time it was touched, there was a brown stain down the tiles. We changed room and the second toilet did not flush. The towels in the hotel had holes within. In the second room, we were going to have a bath but the water was brown

Air-Con, the one time we turned the air-con on a mould smell filled the room, and it was quickly turned off.

Bedroom, the sheets in the hotel had holes in them, the bed was old but quite comfortable.

Breakfast room, the restaraunt was in a great spot on the roof of the building excellent views of the city and beyond, we were enjoying our breakfast until we noticed that there was rat droppings on the floor next to the sliding glass door.

The pizza cave in the basement was very good, the staff were excellent and the meal was just what we needed, quick and tasty - and the drinks were nice and cold.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank turtleLondon
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I spent five nights at the Hotel Castille in November 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. The location is just superb, right next door to Valletta's equivalent of No 10 Downing Street, the very grand Auberge de Castille. Just a stone's throw away are the elegant Upper Barrakka Gardens, with awesome views of the fortified 'Three Cities' and the Grand Harbour. The main 'bus station is only five minute's away on foot, as are the main shopping streets in Valletta, Republic Street and Merchants' Street. The hotel, as a number of previous reviewers have commented, is somewhat faded and old-fashioned. That is a plus in my book. My room was comfortable and clean enough, though the bed tended to sag somewhat and both lampshades were very tatty. The bathroom, however, was excellent and there was always plenty of hot water, no matter at what time of day or night. Having a bath was more appealing than having a shower, as there was no fitting for the shower; nor was there a shower curtain. There was a small TV, with a limited range of channels (six or seven, I recall, including BBC World Service). There was also plenty of space for hanging clothes, as well as a commodious dressing-table. I was not disturbed by noise from the street or from other rooms. The public areas of the hotel seem to have been re-furbished fairly recently and were, I thought, quite smart. I suspect that most of the rooms are rather shabbier.

A buffet breakfast is served in the restaurant on the top floor, which is also open for lunch and dinner. The views from it are quite magnificent and one can have ones breakfast either indoors or outdoors. I thought that the breakfast was above average, though I found the coffee rather insipid. On several occasions, I paid a little extra to have bacon and eggs.

The two things I liked most about the Castille were, firstly, the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, especially those on duty on the reception desk - great customer care with lovely smiles and very happy to chat and to answer any questions; and, secondly, the superb value for money. I booked online and could hardly believe how low the rate was (of course, I was there in late November, in the depths of low season). All in all, I was delighted with my stay at the Castille and wouldn't hesitate to return there and to recommend it warmly to friends. I imagine it is the sort of hotel which has built up a loyal clientele over the years - people who appreciate a touch of character, idiosyncrasy and history and who aren't too bothered about having all 'mod-cons' on tap.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Cosmo44
Reviewed 18 November 2009

The hotel itself and the location fantastice, the food left a lot to be desired, the air conditioning was broken for most of our stay but the staff were great.

Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple