Grand Harbour Hotel
US$277
US$259
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgrand harbourroof terracebridge barvictoria gatethe busfabulous viewsbasic hoteltop floorsmall liftchurch bellssea viewbreakfast roomcoffee machineair conenglish breakfastnice breakfastgreat position
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We picked this hotel out of the blue, as we didn't want a big resort hotel, and we wanted to stay inside the city. Mario, the owner/manager, was very accommodating via email and over the phone. We were a bit off-season, maybe, but when we finally found the hotel, after driving through the city, and having at least once to back out of a one-way, dead end road, Mario showed us what we'd done wrong, and we ended up parked in front of the hotel for both days! The hotel is undergoing a major renovation, and the new rooms on the top floor are very nicely done. Don't expect the Ritz. Remember you're inside an ancient walled city where space is at a premium, but the rooms are comfortable and reasonably priced, and if the weather had cooperated, we would have spent at least half our day sunning on the rooftop patio that was part of our room! Until the renovation is complete, you will have to put up with an older elevator (next year, I was told) and workmen going to the floors they're working on, but given the location and the management's hospitality, and the price, it was a small price to pay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wayne A
Reviewed 21 April 2013

When I visited Malta, I stayed at a newer hotel in Sliema, but I booked a room here for one night as a "home base" during the Notte Bianca/White Night festivities in Valletta.
The room was of good size, although subdivided into some smaller sections (toilet, washroom, and enclosed balcony) which made it fell a bit smaller. Very comfortable however, spotlessly clean, and well-ventilated. I used the room to relax, shower, & change clothes but I never ended up sleeping there, so I can't comment on the bed.
When I reserved the room over the phone, I dealt with Mario, who was very pleasant & helpful. Upon arrival, I was checked-in by another fellow who seemed rather indifferent to me, but then again maybe he was distracted by all of the Notte Bianca activity buzzing around town. The lady at the top-floor dining area was cheerful.
As others have noted, this hotel offers simply incredible views, and a prime location within the old city of Valletta. There is also a "vintage" quality to the elevator, lounge, lobby, etc. which I hope will not be lost to renovation. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank GJM3
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

First and foremost, understand that my stay was in 2004. I see that renovations are planned, which is unfortunate, but I can speak to some other aspects of the place.

I arrived in Malta with no lodging arrangements, spent my first night in one of the island's most expensive hotel suites, my second night in one of its worst guesthouses, and finally found a room at the Grand Harbour.

The room was spacious enough for two, and room for a table & chairs. Everything was clean, and the shower was fantastic. The room was bright, well-ventilated and the view was killer. All the staff I came in contact with were pleasant, helpful, and calm. The location was quiet & perfectly situated to be close to transportation, the ferry, shopping & sights, yet not on a busy street. The rates were very reasonable. I had no complaints at all.

The best thing about the place, to me, is the same thing which keeps it from being 5-stars in my book -- How very Maltese the place was. When I checked in, the ledger was still an actual book. The food was basic, and not designed to cater to anyone in particular. The architecture was more impressive than the decor. None of the staff were fawning over any of the guests, but neither were they inattentive. The Grand Harbour was simply a very normal place, and completely unpretentious. There was no illusion of luxury, they weren't trying to be my home away from home, and it wasn't Disneyworld -- it was simply a good place to stay. i hope that when I go back, that quality remains unchanged.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank BeeQueEee
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel in November and we really enjoyed our visit. The hotel has the best view in Valletta of the Grand Harbour; you can watch all the boats go by and the sun rising and falling on the 3 Cities. The hotel is now going through a full refit to upgrade the quirky 70's feel we are used to, but as the hotel is still family run we hope the "new" GH will be good. The weather was about 25C both times we visited, so this is a great place to come for winter sun. Lots of history, Architecture and good food, but not for those wanting a standard beach holiday.
We love Malta, Valletta and the locals - we will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Harbour.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kellyhawking
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I can only agree with what the last reviewers have said. We only stayed one night before we travelled to Gozo for our main holiday. The view was to die for. Watched a huge cruise liner park first thing in the morning. Room was small but spotless. You got what you paid for. Breakfast was a little on the light side, only bread and cheese. Owners were very helpful when our transfers didn't turn up. Very old building, right in the centre of Valetta and within walking distance of all the attractions. Would definetely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple