“A great little place....”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Nuw York
“A great little place....”
Reviewed 26 June 2009

This was my third stay at the Grand Harbour and it has maintained its character and charm. This time I had an airconditioned room which was nice but not necessary unless you are visiting July-August. The price is right, rooms clean and a perfect location overlooking the harbour and a short walk to the center of Valletta.
A continental breakfast is included...suffcient to start the day since Valletta abounds with little coffee shops and patisseries.
The bar is sufficient for the end of day drink before venturing out for dinner.
In short, this is a great "going local" place to stay, friendly, reasonable and not in the least bit, from my observations, hostile to the fair sex.
The hotel has been run by the family for 20 or so years...and they do it well.
When I return, I will stay there again....
Kevin Dunne
USA

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank levind

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Room was reasonably spac ious with wrap-around balcony providing great view of harbour. Owners were very friendly and helpful, in particular Robert. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CanadaDi2
Black Pearl
Reviewed 1 February 2009

From the outside appearence the hotel is in a beautiful and the best destination in Valletta. There is a stunning view of the Harbour and you are only a few staircases away from the centre of the town.

The room was large (4 bed) with a reasonable bathroom (bath, showerhead attachment, mirror and sink). They provided 1 plug in fan as there is no air conditioning. It was clean and neat but the decor was out dated and the room was very plain. Furbished with Wardrobe, mirror and chest of draws. There was also a dirty and broken seating area beside the windows. There was no where to get drinking water or store food.
The room included access to the depressingly dark lounge with an old televsion area. Downstairs was a small depressing bar area and upstairs an eating area that was open for a very limited period.

It was cleaned regulary but the secutiry was not very strong either, we each lost items from our room, such as, clothes, toiletries and confectionaries.

Free breakfast it included a breadroll, one cake and juice or tea and coffee. That was it. This was open from 7 - 9. Another time limit is locking up the hotel; they lock up around 10:30 pm - 11:00 pm. If you plan on going out you have to set yourself a curfew so someone can let you in otherwise you will spend a long time waiting outside ringing the doorbell that they don't listen to.

However the problem with this hotel was the staff. It was run by two brothers; two very rude and impolite men. If you are a woman, do not expect to recieve any respect from the staff as they give attittude and treat women as inferior. From the first day the manager was rude and treated us as stupid. They went against their quote (over the phone), I was shouted at, provoked and threatened to have my suitcases packed and thrown out. We received the worst treatment when the full payement didn't process instantly, even though we had already put down a cash deposit and fully paid for the days we had attended, plus extra. They were insulting and demeaning. They seriously need to brush up on their communication and social skills.

NOTE: The upstairs breakfast staff (old couple) were the nicest members and the old man who worked some late shifts.

The hotel over charge for their service; even when they were over paid they were still bitter and rude. Malta and Valletta is a lovely destination but this hotel experience ruined our holiday and never wish to come across the managers again.

I strongly suggest you do not attend this horrible and definantly over rated hotel. This would be great hotel if it was run by completely different people.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Oyohoho
Lower Slaughter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2008

We arrived in Valletta thinking it would be easy to get a room....not so easy!! There are only 4 hotels in the centre of Valletta, two 3 star and two 2 star....the only one that had a room for the 3 nights we needed was the Grand Harbour and this was their last room!

For the price it was great, although not the normal standard we opt for, however we were pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, the shower excellent and the bed comfortable....which is really all we wanted.

The location however was fantastic, great views over the harbour and cruise liner berthing, as well as very close to the action of down town Valletta.

The only dissapointment was the breakfast which was very basic, the views from the breakfast room made up for it!

I would reccomend the Grand Harbour if you are on a budget!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank General M
London
Reviewed 27 September 2008

You get what you pay for! We paid 49 euro for a twin bed room at the start of September 08. There was a basic shower and washbasin in the room and the toilet was in the corridor. Our room had a fantastic view of the Harbour and it was very clean. The staff were friendly. There is a surcharge for payment by credit card. Overall, I recommend the hotel and rate it above average for a hotel in Valletta in this price range. The hotel website is basic and does not contain an e-mail address. TripAdvisor does not allow commercial e-mail addresses to be included in reviews; so, put 'info@' before the name of the hotel. Another reviewer of this hotel mentioned things had been stolen from a suitcase - that's unacceptable but travellers ought to know by now not to leave valuable things in a room - ask the staff to put them in a safe or take 'em with you.

Stayed September 2008
3 Thank DerryLondon
Roma
Reviewed 22 September 2008

Me and my family stayed in this hotel for our holiday in Malta in August. Every year I come to Malta to visit my relatives. This year as I normaly do I stayed in Valletta. I booked in the Grand Harbour Hotel. This was my first time there. We had a room with a view of the Grand Harbour and it was beautiful. The room was big and had a Tv,Telephone, air condition that you can adjust your room tempreature. It was a nice room it seemed more of a 4 star hotel room than a 2 star. The rooms are very clean.

The staff is great they are all helpfull. When we asked for somethink they always tried to help us.

I have stayed in every hotel in Valletta and for me the Grand Harbour Hotel is the best Hotel there is. Rooms Location and Friendly Staff plus the view from the rooms and roof Garden are the best you can experience in Malta. Every year I will make it my home for the 2 weeks I will be in Malta.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank RomaBella
UK
Reviewed 27 March 2008

On first impressions - the hotel was very very basic, wth a funny damp-like smell on the ground floor. Initially everyone was very helpful e.g. with arranging tours and advising u how to get around. But u wil soon find that everyone in malta does this anyway, free of charge.

The breakfast was very basic, with tea, coffee and bread rolls and jam.
Nothing more, nothing less.

The room we stayed in was a quad, ensuite. It was very basic, with four single beds but was clean. However it did get relatively cold during the night and there was no appropriate provision for this in terms of heating.

However, everything took a turn for the first when some items from my in my suitcase went missing. I informed management, and because it is a family-run hotel, the situation could not have been dealt with any worse than it was.

Rather than helping, management raised their voice, was quite threatening and accused me of lying and pointed fingers at me and told me that I should deal with it through the police if it was really that much of an issue. We were told that 'we were causing trouble.'

I would not reccommend anyone to pick this hotel. It is worth paying a bit more for a place in which ur belongings will atleast be safe!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends