“DO NOT STAY HERE. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. STAY ANYWHERE BUT HERE.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Harbour Hotel

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Valletta
Carnmoney, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
“DO NOT STAY HERE. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. STAY ANYWHERE BUT HERE.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Grand Harbour Hotel. I was away with a group of uni students and our lecturers as part of an archaeological fieldtrip around Malta. I really cannot say anything very good about this 'hotel' other than the workers were quite pleasant and helpful. The building itself is awful, never have I stressed so much about staying in a place. We arrived Tuesday lunchtime and checked in. I was sharing a room with 2 female classmates and as we made our way up to the 4th floor (the lift is extremely tiny and DODGY) we were rather nervous about what our room would be like. We opened the old wooden door and were hit with THE MOST AWFUL strong, musty smell. It was unreal, it just hit you hard. Holding our noses we managed to open the rickety window and shutters to let in some air. I will tell you now, a day's airing did nothing at all. The smell prevailed. The 'ensuite' was actually a toilet and shower in the corner of the room surrounded by flimsy plastic stud walling. You could hear anything and everything through it. The room was freezing at night, with only 1 plug in radiator to generate heat. Furniture and bedlinen was OLD. the room just STANK bigtime. The sheets were constantly cold and damp-feeling, as if the room had laid empty and unaired for months.
Breakfast consisted of sliced BREAD and tea / coffee. Nothing else.
On the 3rd night we had to move rooms as my friend found a bed bug on her bed sheet. We freaked out bigtime as bed bugs are just NOT acceptable, but to be honest, it is the kind of place you'd expect to find them in. We got moved 2 floors up to a smaller attic-style room which thankfully did not stink, but we were just paranoid from then on about sleeping in the beds.
I really did not enjoy my stay at the 'Grand Harbour Hotel'. Valletta itself is a fabulous place with many narrow, hilly streets, town squares, restaurants, fountains, shops and fabulous views. The central bus station provides good access to many other areas of Malta, and bus fares are dirt cheap.
Considering I paid £300 for a 5 day trip to Malta, I pray that the majority of that money went on paying the air fares rather than to the 'hotel', because it really DID NOT DESERVE IT. fair enough the workers were pleasant, but the building itself needs GUTTING and re-doing. This could easily be done on an Ikea-style budget, but still bring the hotel up a few stars. It definitely isn't even 2 stars. I give it 1 max.
Please do not waste your money. I recommend the 5 star Phoenicia Hotel at the bus station!!!!
Just because I am a student does not mean I am happy to stay in minging accommodation. I have standards.

• Stayed February 2011
4 Thank MayFairQueenBaby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

We spent four nights in this hotel and really liked it.
It’s location is perfect, half way between two Barakka Gardens.
Our room (1 Twin room type "A" sea view on bed and continental breakfast basis & rate (€56.00) per night)) was on the 2nd floor and we had a normal and a close balcony with perfect harbour view. I liked it so much.
The hotel is an old basic hotel with old furniture and bathroom, but it was clean.
The breakfast was very basic (coffee, tea, orange juice, rolls, jam, cheese, butter).
The staff was helpful.
The only problem was the noise at nights. There was alive music in the bar at the small bridge near hotel on Friday and there were a noisy group in the hotel and we also heard everything from the hotel bar.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

This hotel is perfect as a basis for a fully visit of Malta: 5 minutes walking from city gate bus station.
The grand harbour view is exceptional and for dinner multiple restaurants are within 10 minutes walking.
People at the reception is nice, person rotation during all day.
My room was at first floor sea view, good idea to not use lift quite old and small, no more than one person with one person and suitcase; opening door, first impression was that time for my room was stopped at east 30 years ago but beds and bathroom was confortable and clean.
Restaurant close to the hotel is open only during the day and is not a noisy.
Unfortunately during night, room at first floor is not a good suggestion for a quiet holiday especially during hte week end because at random time, lorries stop just under the room to load-unload and a lot of people is involved in this job. they to this as at full day.
Phone ringng and reception noise is with you in the room.
Sometimes, when you are in your bed, smoke smell comes in the room; smoking is not allowd in reception, but....
Breakfast is essential, served at 7th floor building: 5 floor ramping a narrow staircase, but when entering in the breakfast room, view reward the effort. Terrace is available with one more floor

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Port Stephens, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2009

After reading the reviews here, some very negative but all informative, we chose Grand Harbour Hotel for its superb views of the harbour and its perfect location for discovering Valetta’s delights on foot, and were not disappointed.

The tip for a successful stay here is to be armed with knowledge of the hotel’s eccentricities, not least the totally different personalities of the brothers and dad who manage and are in charge of the hotel’s reception. One was charming but inefficient, one was gruff and unhelpful if not downright rude, one was welcoming and capable, and one was a mix of the other three depending on the time of day. Perhaps this accounts for the wide variety of comments on the staff?

This is an old historical building from 16th century, built by one of the Templar Knights, and the room configurations reflect this as well as the haphazardness of ‘modernisation’ into a small hotel. This is evident in the size of the lift to the upper floors – a small, slow broom cupboard – which on the day of our departure went on strike; Mr cheerful-but-inefficient didn’t post a notice the lift was broken, so we waited and waited for it to arrive, until one of us clattered down to reception to be told, very apologetically, it was out of service. So be prepared to use the stairs and carry your luggage up/down the narrow staircase and even narrower hallways.

We had a twin, no air-con, Room With a View and ‘private bathroom’, another quirky layout with the washbasin in the bedroom and the dated toilet and shower in a separate room off the entry hallway housing a bonus single bed which proved excellent as suitcase storage. The room itself was basic shabby-chic but very clean, the linen and towels of good quality, the beds very comfortable ... the main attraction being the enclosed balcony, which we dubbed The Pimple, and its superb view over the harbour and all its activities.

The breakfast room – with the delightful moniker of Seventh Heaven – on the 7th floor also boasted this magnificent view, which although not nourishing was the best part of the rather meagre breakfast mentioned in other reviews – instant coffee or tea, juice, and slices of fresh, delicious Maltese bread with spreads, and an airline-wrapped cupcake. We knew from reviews here what to expect and enjoyed it every morning knowing an espresso and pastizzi were just around the corner. The staff here were friendly and welcoming, the service quick, the linens and tableware impeccable.

Including some pictures with this review which hopefully will be helpful to others researching this hotel, which in spite of its shortcomings, I would recommend for the budget conscious - with the glorious harbour views a bonus for those willing to pay E7 extra per night.

• Stayed September 2009
3 Thank FerryTyles
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

We stayed one night at the Grand Harbour Hotel after having missed our flight as we got the timing wrong! The lady in the tourist office at the airport booked it for us.
It was a decent hotel for one night. The rooms are old and a bit dated, but it was a comfortable stay. We had a seaview room overlooking Valletta harbour and we could see The Three Cities which was beautiful.
The breakfast is plain (bread, butter, jam and tea/coffee). The hotel does not have air conditioning, but there is a fan. It was quite warm sleeping at night. It was also quite noisy in the morning.

The staff were very nice and helpful. The hotel is in a central location within walking distance of the historic sights of Valletta.

We had dinner at "Fusion Four" which was fantastic and the host was very hospitable. The food and ambience were great.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a night in Valletta to check out all the sights. I'm not sure it would be great for longer stays, especially with the heat and no airconditioning.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rsmoh
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

We were in this hotel for 3 nights in March 2008.
The location is great, at short walking distance to central bus station and close to main highlights and restaurants. Staff at front desk were nice and helpful.
Furniture and bathroom would need to be renewed but it's a good value for what you pay.
Breakfast is average, nothing special but not bad.
We had a room on the third floor with a lovely veranda enjoying a great view on the harbour.
Pick-up service from airport available.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sil78ves
Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

This hotel went above my expectations .... it is, after all, 2 Star! and I don't go on holiday to sit in my room!!

I spent a comfortable and happy 3 weeks.

My room was medium sized, bright and clean with good airconditioning and two balconies - one enclosed 'galleria' and the other wrapped around the building which gave me a wonderful 'selection' of views - the Grand harbour to the right, the fascinating limestone steep steps, galleria and steeple laden jungle of the City's capital to my left.

One floor up was the roof with a seating area and sun-lounges from which I had panormanic views of the harbour, Senglea and beyond.

Breakfast is what it is ... standard continental breakfast of rolls/bread/jcake/cheese/marmalade/juice/tea/coffee.

There is a nice seating area in the bar where I entertained family more than comfortably one evening.

The hotel is owned and operated by 4 brothers who I found to be very courteous and obliging.

Having the internet was wonderful and I used it regularly with no problems.

I beleive some rooms may be of a lower standard than the one I had and so it is important to specify your requirements when you make the booking ie. not all rooms have aircon and not all rooms have a private bathroom and view.

All in all - If you are wanting to stay in Valletta and looking for somewhere simple and clean then you cannot look past the Grand Harbour. I know I'll be staying there next time I go over :)

Thanks Guys!