“Would not go back.”
Review of Osborne Hotel

Osborne Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We booked and paid for a Superior Double room for six nights and stayed for four. We had read that certain rooms were much more desirable than others and we offered to pay extra if needed to secure one of them. After two calls and an email we had been assured that we would have a good room. We were most disappointed to find that the room was very small and more suitable as a single. The lumpy mattress was very uncomfortable and didn't fill the frame. A larger mattress was added on top of this when we complained, and although slightly quirky, it was more comfortable. The bathroom was tiny; it was very difficult to manouevre in the ludicrously small shower and the toilet was cramped into the corner between the shower and the wall. We also could easily hear people in the adjoining rooms.

The breakfast choice and quality were fine apart from the machine coffee which we didn't like at all. We bought coffees from the bar and they were much better but they took so long we thought they had been forgotten. An evening buffet meal at the restaurant proved to be simple fare but plentiful and good value for money as it included a carafe of wine.

We found the attitude of the management to be very poor and not at all customer oriented. The hot food bar was such that one had to reach under a shelf and over much of the selection. I found it much easier to walk around the back without leaning over all of the dishes, which is unhygienic, whereupon I was ordered to return to the front with the waiter saying 'It's the rules'. Later my wife asked if we could fill up our small bottle with drinking water and she was told 'No, it's against the rules'. When we queried this with a lady and gentlemen, who claimed to be the management, we were told rather heatedly that no 4-star hotel would allow this either and that we should have filled some glasses with water and used them to fill our bottle.

We left immediately, forfeiting the last two nights as we had paid in advance, simply to find a hotel with reasonable management and more comfortable accommodation. Although the Osborne is in a great location, our experiences were the worst we have had in any hotel. The first question we asked at our new hotel was 'Would you fill our small bottle with drinking water?' They said 'Certainly sir'.

We emailed our complaints to the management requesting their comments but we have received no response.

Room Tip: Ask to view your room first.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wotwosee
There are newer reviews for Osborne Hotel

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Just back from 4 nights in Malta and stayed at the Osborne Hotel. After I had booked the hotel via a third party website I received a nice email from the hotel welcoming me there and asking if I would like to arrange transfers from the airport. We took this up and it was great to be picked up and dropped off in style.

The hotel was excellent and very clean. We had a fantastic room (one of the few with balconies) room 501 which had fantastic views across the city to the water and Sliemma beyond. Having read other people reviews about dust in room, shutters that don’t work and noise outside the rooms and small beds I think people expect things to be as at home. You can hear doors slamming outside but then you can in most hotels and the beds were very comfortable.

The reception area was very comfortable and the food - we only had breakfast - was very good. A nice buffet with cooked breakfast and cereal, toast and cakes. We did see people eating lunch and that looked good too.

Also there is a kettle and tea and coffee in the bedroom which is good.

The only negative thing - which is very small - was the lack of wifi - we bought vouchers from the hotel but we couldnt get it to work especially with an Imac. Much better to save your money and pop down the road - left out of the hotel to Si Manga and buy a coffee and use their wifi instead. I wouldnt have been that bothered about not having it but my travelling companion needed it for work so it was unfortunate that he couldnt use it when we got back from a day out.

All in all I would definately recommend this hotel for a great break in Malta.

oh - and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

try and get room 501!!!

Room Tip: Try for room 501
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Colin P
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We spent a very pleasant 4 days/nights in the Hotel Osborne.

All staff were friendly and helpful and our room was nicely presented and cleaned every day.

We took the B&B option and were not disappointed – the food provided catered for all tastes and was more than adequate – setting us up nicely for our sight-seeing packed days !

The hotel itself is ideally situated for easy exploration of Valletta and also within easy walking distance of the efficient and very reasonable bus service that will take you anywhere you need to go on the island.

All in all we have nothing negative to say about the hotel and would definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluevaleCardiff
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We chose The Osbourne Hotel after the price at the Grand Excelsior had significantly jumped over night. It didn't look so bad and the price was great. To start, the only good thing about this hotel is the location. Easy walk to all of the sites in Valletta. I booked a Superior Double Room which, when I got into it, looked like a regular room. When I went to open the shutters, the shutter came right off the hinges and almost fell to the ground. Thank goodness we caught it because it could have fallen on someones head! The double beds are tiny and the sheets are hard and itchy! If you are tall or bigger, you and a partner will not fit into one of these beds. The walls in the room are so thin that you can hear conversations in the rooms next door as if they are going on in your own room. You hear everything in the hallway as well as the elevator every time it come on to your floor. This is really terrible after a long day of sight-seeing when you just want to nap or relax for a little while before heading out to dinner!he there also aren't "do not disturb" tags for the doors and the maids tend to knock on the door a lot. The wifi was out for Three out of the five days we were there and the hotel didn't really seem to care. We also wanted ice to make drinks in our room and the hotel would only give us a small cup with two ice cubes in it. Reception was not helpful when it came to restaurant recommendations at all.

Overall, I would say that the stay was pretty terrible. We did save money, but I would have spent more money to be comfortable. If we hadn't paid for our stay when we checked in, we would have switched hotels immediately.

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank Pradcaroline
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I very much liked this hotel. Most of it has been recently done up. My room was very tastefully decorated, and once I got the hang of the shutters I had a nice view across the roof tops, with the cathedral floodlight in the darkness. The hotel is a very good position close to Cathedral, etc and bus station. There is a very attractive public garden a few minutes walk away.

Breakfast was good. Scrambled egg more like a savoury baked egg custard. Coffee drinkable. I took some real coffee from UK but the water there made it taste like ditch water. Breakfast room rather dark, pity it was not served up in the 6th floor conference room.

Hotel has a nice lounge. The sort of place you might expect Miss Marple to be knitting a cover for her ipad. I think the hotel would appeal most to older people as well as younger professionals.

Room was a reasonable size and very well cleaned. Bath room was nice. But for me there was only one real downside. The bed had a very small top sheet and this did very little to prevent contact with the duvet which was uncovered and clearly not washed between guests. I ended up with lipstick on my arm. Duvet covers are very few and far between in Valletta so my advice is to take your own. There was an interconnecting door to next room which needs sound proofing. There was some noise from the lift at night, I think one could be switched off since the other is surrounded by stairs.

I had a full board deal and the evening meal was reasonable though some days better than others. The vegetable were mostly over cooked. Quite often it consisted of a mixture of frozen peas and carrots which was dire and seemed to have escaped from school dinner circa 1962.

I liked Malta it has a very old fashioned feel. I felt very safe there. There is lots to do and see. The spring flowers were lovely in Feb. The shopping is poor.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank oldsportyrelaxer
Reviewed 3 February 2012

The Osborne Hotel is a wonderful hotel in the centre of Valletta. The location is excellent, and the staff could not have been more helpful. The room was great and very reasonably priced. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank TravellingDaveB
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed for 2 nights. Fine for that amount of time but would not want to be there longer. We had a newish refurb room on 2nd floor. Only had a half window up to knee height, so had to have lights on at all times. Comfortable bed. Tiny bathroom (shower screen flimsy & mouldy), although generally cleanliness good. It was cold during our stay & the heating was inadequate & the hotel could not fix or supply supplementary heat. Rugs would be nice on a cold floor. CNN the only English TV channel. Great location though - easy 5 min walk from bus station & to all Valletta sights. Had 1 evening meal - British canteen standard, buffet style. but that is reflected in the price of 9.90e pp for as much as u can eat. Good value bar drinks, if you can find someone to serve. Comfortable lounge area. Would use again because of position & value.

Room Tip: Away from rooms being refurbished and with windows!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#13 of 15 in Valletta
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Osborne Hotel? Share your experiences!